Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Crows v Swans Sat Aug 19th 7:40pm EST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Swans by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of funny how the crows fans didn’t mention how they rorted the rules when murphy went off “injured” and couldnt take the kick after the siren then ran around like crazy after Dawson kicked it to sink port Adelaide last year, and now they’re squealing because they think they were shafted. Club should change its name to Moron Mountain, particularly with ricciuotto as the figurehead in the media, it would be very fitting

That’s how they signal hitting the post, otherwise if they start running back to the center people can think it’s a goal
Yes Umpire called what he saw. and did make the point sign tapping the shoulder almost instantly, lost in the light or shadow yes it could have been that, but he thought it instantly, and I'd remind every one that the AFL techno team review every goal whether you see it on screen during the held up time for review or not they did not query it.
So you every single one of you out there on BF did not see what the goal umpire saw and acted upon from his very close position, not even the jumping footballers saw from his angle and especially the cameras , as I said before, they can only repeat on film light reflection!
Give it up, Sydney won. it isn't going to change, its notan umpire not hearing the siren, this is human decision making, I don't believe for a second the goal umpire was making anything out of this but what he witnessed .And if it was changed, reversed that is the end of Aussie football.
You know what I'd ban bloody cameras making decisions, simply because this is one of hundreds that look dodgy yet create a score of some kind, Like the finger tip on a ball barely visible in replay from the camers out at 50 meteres and get the goal reversed, that is camera bulldust, and I would congratulate the kicker at the 50m mark snapping a goal even if the outer skin layer of the blokes finger nail (which you can't tell really) who claimed to have touched it was fair dinkum.
One more reminder I watched and saw the goal umpire do the "its a point" signal, instantly as it happened. So he is in the clear on what he saw.
How many boundary umpires miss out of bounds running too far behind the play?????
Yes the more I think aboutthis I say ban the cameras, and only have them for viewers to watch the games.

If Keays hadn't slapped the glasses off the goal umpires face, he would have been able to see the ball and made the right call

That is rubbish. The fact is that the Unpire was 5 or 6 feet from the incident. If it was 20 or 30 years it'd be the umpires decision, technology in this game now are creating minuscule situations where a hundred differences of what people actually see can be argued about.
Things that the human eye was used, its sport and this over kill of technology is a blight on the sport, when perception is everything, how many goals reviewd that you see on screen that were or weren't goals, the technology has always had a problem. And a million questions. How many crappy field umpire decisions have won or lost games? Think on it. what the goal umpire saw was what he saw, sack him you say, I can think of plenty of decisions made in split seconds by field umpires are absolutely
Why, because it is cameras and camera angles that are shot from distance and are a product of light reflection which is what photography is, you could go on with a million different things that cameras show or don't, and make mistakes when vision shots are almost impossible to pick.
But as I said the umpire was 5 or 6 feet from the reality, and yes one shot looks like the ball was untouched, but, it also looks in another where the tip end of the oval footy scraped the post it didn't hit the wrappings . So close or maybe not but the Umpire saw it as that and that is that.

Now for the Crow footballers whinging about Sydney winning , think on this, if you weren't in the position of being way behind at the last change like 4 to 5 goals, it wouldn't have taken a mind blowing last quarter to win, .
Crows were beaten all day, all day until the last quarter, catch up footy loses games mostly, it was at Crows home ground, ad Sydney won three quarters.
So all you who say the modern football is so fantastic and that modern technology in sport is heading always into the realm of unfairness from photo perception to umpires on the field calling out split second stuff which half the time is wrong or not calling at all and some times right in front of their eyes.

One last thing deliberate out of bounds is becoming like a basket ball throw in, and they are unfair especially when a player is under pressure and looks to be defending using the boundary line , well that is the job and a free kick from the boundary when a crappy call is made for deliberate and its way inside the 50 m that is nonsense should not operate and even long kicks out of defence that go out before being touched under sever pressure the kick is taken when did a rule become such as that when it is defending desperately.
Also the 50M for stinking foot movement over the mark maybe a couple of inches and bang 50m free kick call, it is not in the nature or the interest of AFL football, it is a strange and game losing or winning penalty that should never have been invented ,whether by Hocking orwho ever the sycophantic AFL rule makers are.
So Sydney won, nothing changes and there 's your explanation, they were in front when the siren went, and take and deserve the win for three quarters of football. PS Crows don't celebrate too fast its egotistical and makes you look stupid.
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say. The umpire was in the perfect position and made a 100% incorrect call. He didn't even call for technology to be used so I have no idea why you're bringing that up. He was absolutely 100% confident in his call. The ball clearly was no where near the post let alone the padding. Either he is cheating or just dumb blind. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so he's probably blind

So the goal umpire has been stood down for the rest of the season. Not sure this is the right call.

Has a precedent now been set? Can all umpires be stood down if they make bad decisions? Or does it only happen if the bad decision is in the last 2 minutes of a game? Or if the result is less than 1 or 2 goals. What if a field umpire or group of field umpires slaughter a team across a whole day? Should they all be stood down.

Anyway whinge over. The AFL needs to do better.
They should be stood down. They are paid big bucks to do these things. They are professionals. I remember that one time an umpire caught the ball. I'm pretty sure he got stood down. Absolutely should never umpire top level afl again.

Kind of funny how the crows fans didn’t mention how they rorted the rules when murphy went off “injured” and couldnt take the kick after the siren then ran around like crazy after Dawson kicked it to sink port Adelaide last year, and now they’re squealing because they think they were shafted. Club should change its name to Moron Mountain, particularly with ricciuotto as the figurehead in the media, it would be very fitting
Swings and round abouts.
It was the same umpire who called the Jenkins after-the-siren showdown goal where the review said all clear.

And Jenkins having a good laugh after, admitting it hit the post.

I was just wondering if Keays and the boys have returned form their celebrations 🤔

So the goal umpire has been stood down for the rest of the season. Not sure this is the right call.

Has a precedent now been set? Can all umpires be stood down if they make bad decisions? Or does it only happen if the bad decision is in the last 2 minutes of a game? Or if the result is less than 1 or 2 goals. What if a field umpire or group of field umpires slaughter a team across a whole day? Should they all be stood down.

Yes there is precedent on goal umpires being suspended

Can someone please explain why the ball can't touch the post?? It seems like a rule dreamed up in the horse and buggy days when women wore long skirts and got married as virgins. Ditto the touched before it crosses the goal line or off the boot. Doesn't fit well with the faster modern game which we can watch on a 65 inch TV in slow motion. Let crypto.com sponsor something else. Similar problem last week with the Melbourne v Carlton game. Oh and if the ball hits the middle of the post and bounces back onto the field then play on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

players get dropped for playing like s**t

so should umpires.

Its easy to take the high road when you are Geelong and most of of the unbalanced aspects of this competition benefit your club.
interstate clubs just cop this stuff over and over, they should call it out.

The Umpires did their bloody best to get the Crows over the line at home vs Collingwood at Adelaide Oval several weeks ago and ironically, probably screwed the Crows against the Pies at The G

My point is crap umpiring happens to all clubs from all states, there is NO SUCH THING as Vic Bias.

And yes the Vic Centric media have called out the goal umpire in question on Saturday night saying he got it wrong and the Crows stuffed.

Its cold comfort for Adelaide fans and the players, but it's not as if was forgotten and glossed over by us fans in Melbourne.

The Adelaide Football Club acknowledges the AFL’s response to the circumstances surrounding last night’s loss to the Sydney Swans.

Crows CEO Tim Silvers said an admission of umpire error did not lessen the frustration and disappointment shared by the players, coaches, staff, members and fans alike.

“Human error is, and always will be, part of football and we recognise our own performance in the first half of the season defining game was not at the standard we expect either,” Silvers said.

“We are also extremely proud of our players’ effort, commitment and never give up attitude, which was again on show.

“The failure to video review the scoring attempt in question is inexplicable given the enormity of the moment, not just for that game but also what it meant for our finals chances and those of other teams in the competition.

“Having spoken to the AFL and with no further avenues to explore, we have no choice other than to turn our focus to the final home and away match of the season.

“While we will not participate in the upcoming finals series, we are determined to build on the progress our young playing group has made this year.”

Back