Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Crows v Swans Sat Aug 19th 7:40pm EST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Swans by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide-vs-Sydney.png

12th v 7th

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 23
ADELAIDE V SYDNEY
SATURDAY AUGUST 19TH 7:40PM EST (ADELAIDE OVAL)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams
CROWS

B: B.Smith, J.Borlase, M.Keane
HB: M.Michalanney, J.Worrell, W.Milera
C: J.Soligo, J.Dawson - C, M.Hinge
HF: B.Keays, D.Fogarty, S.McAdam
F: L.Murphy, T.Walker, I.Rankine
FOLL: R.O’Brien, R.Laird, M.Crouch

I/C: R.Thilthorpe, H.Schoenberg, R.Sloane, J.Rachele
EMG: L.Nankervis, B.Cook, L.Gollant, L.Pedlar
In: I.Rankine
Out: L.Pedlar (Omitted), L.Nankervis (Omitted)

SWANS
B: T.McCartin, D.Rampe - C, R.Fox
HB: N.Blakey, H.Cunningham, J.Lloyd
C: B.Campbell, J.Rowbottom, E.Gulden
HF: S.Wicks, H.McLean, T.Papley
F: W.Hayward, L.McDonald, I.Heeney
FOLL: T.Hickey, C.Mills, L.Parker

I/C: O.Florent, J.Buller, D.Stephens, Ch.Warner
EMG: R.Clarke, A.Francis, L.Melican, M.Roberts

In: D.Rampe, B.Campbell, J.Buller
Out: A.Francis (Omitted), M.Roberts (Omitted), J.Amartey (Injured), R.Clarke (Sub)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:

At home, Rankine likely to return, I see a 5 goal crows win and that may keep the very faint finals hopes alive.
I don't even think that the hopes are that faint. I think Adelaide are about 65% to make the finals if they win this. The last round is probably not just a bankable win but a percentage-booster.

I don't even think that the hopes are that faint. I think Adelaide are about 65% to make the finals if they win this. The last round is probably not just a bankable win but a percentage-booster.
The Crows wouldn't be more than a 10% chance to make the finals if you calculate all the games which need to go our way.

I would have though even with 2 wins you'd still be a chance to miss no?

The Crows wouldn't be more than a 10% chance to make the finals if you calculate all the games which need to go our way.

No, not nearly as bad as you think.

St Kilda 12
Sydney 11.5
Bulldogs 11
Essendon 11
GWS 11
Geelong 10.5
Adelaide 10

Carlton aren't locked, but they're locked enough to be irrelevant to Adelaide

Relevant matches this weekend:

GWS v Essendon
Adelaide v Sydney
St Kilda v Geelong

Let's call Bulldogs v West Coast a walkover for the Bulldogs. And we might as well assume that Adelaide beat Sydney, or we're dead. That leaves:

GWS and St Kilda win
St Kilda 13 safe - Brisbane
Bulldogs 12 - Geelong
GWS 12 - Carlton
Sydney 11.5 - Melbourne
Adelaide 11
Essendon 11 - Collingwood
Geelong 10.5

Adelaide have a walkover against the West Coast to finish, and have percentage that won't be caught. We make the finals if 2/3 out of Geelong, Carlton and Melbourne win

GWS and Geelong win

Bulldogs 12 - Geelong
St Kilda 12 - Brisbane
GWS 12 - Carlton
Geelong 11.5 - Bulldogs
Sydney 11.5 - Melbourne
Adelaide 11
Essendon 11

We're behind the winner of Bulldogs and Geelong. We need two out of Brisbane, Carlton and Melbourne to win.

Essendon and St Kilda win

St Kilda 13
Bulldogs 12 - Geelong
Essendon 12 - Collingwood
Sydney 11.5 - Melbourne
Adelaide 11
GWS 11
Geelong 10.5

St Kilda are safe. We need two out of Geelong, Collingwood and Melbourne to win. All three are favourites.

Essendon and Geelong win

Bulldogs 12 - Geelong
St Kilda 12 - Brisbane
Essendon 12 -Collingwood
Geelong 11.5 - Bulldogs
Sydney 11.5 - Melbourne
Adelaide 11
GWS 11
Geelong 10.5
Adelaide 10

The winner of Bulldogs-Geelong will be ahead of us. We need two out of Brisbane, Collingwood and Melbourne to win.

Adelaide's percentage and final round against West Coast mean that we're better-placed than we look. In all of these cases, we need 2/3 matches to fall our way. In every single case, the team that we need to win is the current bookmaker's favourite, and nearly all of them are top 5.

I would have though even with 2 wins you'd still be a chance to miss no?
Yes, a chance. In virtually all cases we need two out of three matches to fall our way in the last round. However, those matches are:

Carlton v GWS (we want Carlton)
Essendon v Collingwood (we want Collingwood)
Sydney v Melbourne (we want Melbourne)
St Kilda v Brisbane (we want Brisbane)
Geelong v Bulldogs (we want Geelong)

In all cases, we're cheering on the bookies' favourite.

The last match of the loser of GWS and Essendon is moot.
If St Kilda win this week then their last match is moot.

My calculations may be thrown into a spin if there's a draw. Apart from that, I've just assumed that Bulldogs will beat West Coast, and we're perfectly charmed if they don't.

Yes, a chance. In virtually all cases we need two out of three matches to fall our way in the last round. However, those matches are:

Carlton v GWS (we want Carlton)
Essendon v Collingwood (we want Collingwood)
Sydney v Melbourne (we want Melbourne)
St Kilda v Brisbane (we want Brisbane)
Geelong v Bulldogs (we want Geelong)

In all cases, we're cheering on the bookies' favourite.

The last match of the loser of GWS and Essendon is moot.
If St Kilda win this week then their last match is moot.

My calculations may be thrown into a spin if there's a draw. Apart from that, I've just assumed that Bulldogs will beat West Coast, and we're perfectly charmed if they don't.
Yeah, based on that I'd say you're a good chance if you win this weekend. Huge game for both teams.

Adelaide's percentage and final round against West Coast mean that we're better-placed than we look. In all of these cases, we need 2/3 matches to fall our way. In every single case, the team that we need to win is the current bookmaker's favourite, and nearly all of them are top 5.

And we know that if too many of them do fall over it's because they were too scared to face us in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game that will shape the 8.
If Swans can't win this, I think they're done. A win for the Crows will see them still in with a chance.
Both sides have looked much better in the past 4 weeks. Apart from Lions, most of the Crows' home wins have been against sides that were struggling.
Think the Swans might pinch this in a close one.

If Adelaide wins this one, they will probably finish 8th with West Coast to come in the final round. But Adelaide don't have a great recent home record vs the Swans.

If Adelaide wins this one, they will probably finish 8th with West Coast to come in the final round. But Adelaide don't have a great recent home record vs the Swans.
Bit rough, Adelaide have only played them twice in at AO in the last 6 years which Sydney won by 3 points each time.

I'm so miffed you got robbed in that second Collingwood game. Would much rather see you in finals than St Kilda, Geelong, Sydney, GWS.

Back