Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Saints v Cats Sat Aug 19th 7:25pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

St-Kilda-vs-Geelong.png

6th v 11th

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 23
ST KILDA V GEELONG
SATURDAY AUGUST 19TH 7:25PM EST (MARVEL)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams
SAINTS

B: J.Battle, C.Wilkie, J.Webster
HB: Z.Cordy, J.Sinclair, N.Wanganeen-Milera
C: M.Windhager, S.Ross, M.Wood
HF: J.Gresham, B.Hill, M.Owens
F: M.King, T.Membrey, J.Higgins
FOLL: R.Marshall, J.Steele - C, B.Crouch

I/C: L.Stocker, D.Butler, M.Phillipou, C.Sharman
EMG: N.Coffield, H.Clark, R.Byrnes, J.Billings

In: None
Out: H.Clark (Sub)

CATS
B: T.Stewart, S.De Koning, J.Kolodjashnij
HB: Z.Guthrie, E.Ratugolea, M.Duncan
C: M.Holmes, T.Bruhn, I.Smith
HF: B.Close, J.Cameron, M.O’Connor
F: T.Stengle, T.Hawkins, G.Miers
FOLL: S.Neale, P.Dangerfield - C, T.Atkins

I/C: J.Bews, Z.Tuohy, J.Bowes, O.Henry
EMG: B.Parfitt, T.Conway, O.Mullin, S.Menegola

In: T.Hawkins, J.Bews
Out: G.Rohan (Injured), R.Stanley (Injured), B.Parfitt (Sub)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:
Ross will stifle it up and try and make it an old fashioned grind for 2 hours.

Cats to pull away in the final 10 minutes to win by 13 points.

Steele 27 disposals in his best game of the season.
Holmes 23 disposals and 1 goal. Cameron 3.3 with 3 assists.

hopefully this is a more civilised debate that what I've read on the Saints forum.
Didn't realise there was so much pent up hatred.

Some dark commentary.

In any case. Geelong by 11.

Ross will stifle it up and try and make it an old fashioned grind for 2 hours.
I doubt that. The games St Kilda have won is when they have not stopped and propped.

I expect they will be trying to play like they did in the first half against the Blues before they went MIA, and how they played against the Tigers.

Plus the Cats look a lot more vulnerable when the game is fast.

Besides the Cat's players on average are physically stronger and heavier. So I would believe the Saints will be running more than wrestling.

I doubt that. The games St Kilda have won is when they have not stopped and propped.

I expect they will be trying to play like they did in the first half against the Blues before they went MIA, and how they played against the Tigers.

Plus the Cats look a lot more vulnerable when the game is fast.

Besides the Cat's players on average are physically stronger and heavier. So I would believe the Saints will be running more than wrestling.
We've been gotten on transition a few times this year. Mainly from taking big risks out of the back half and getting killed on turnover.

I've got no feel on how the saints are going. They were going pretty horribly a few weeks back but the win against hawthorn looks decent now, they played glimpses of dominant footy against Carlton before falling away and looked really good against Richmond but the Tigers looked half way to mad Monday. Is this a solid top 8 team that could do damage in September or a team who over performed early in the year and hit the wall mid season?

We've been gotten on transition a few times this year. Mainly from taking big risks out of the back half and getting killed on turnover.

I've got no feel on how the saints are going. They were going pretty horribly a few weeks back but the win against hawthorn looks decent now, they played glimpses of dominant footy against Carlton before falling away and looked really good against Richmond but the Tigers looked half way to mad Monday. Is this a solid top 8 team that could do damage in September or a team who over performed early in the year and hit the wall mid season?
We have had a huge injury list this year, so much so that even second choice players may have been not available. Plus some other players have been in and out.

While Jones and Howard will still not be available we now have most of our first choice players available.

The Tigers game was arguably the only game this year for us to have played our first choice forward line. Well except that Hayes would be in instead of Sharman.

Steele is probably still not quite right. But overall our starting 22 will probably be as good as it has been all year this week. Membrey will have benefited from his first senior game since round 9 last week.

During the season our workrate has been patchy, after and excellent start to the year despite the injuries. In the Blues game you saw both very good, and very poor football.

Can the Saints play good football for long enough this week? That is the question.

When Marshall has played well, we have in the main looked better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking over both clubs scoring this year..

Cats 9/10 wins came when they scored 97 points or more
Cats other win came when they scored 78 points, a home game

Saints have conceded more then 83 points 4 times
Saints have conceded more then 93 points once, an away game

This also doesn't take into account the doogs gifting the opposition 2 goals a game who won't be there.

Last edited:
Looking over both clubs scoring this year..

Cats 9/10 wins came when they scored 97 points or more
Cats other win came when they scored 78 points, a home game

Saints have conceded more then 83 points 4 times
Saints have conceded more then 93 points once, an away game

This also doesn't take into account the doogs gifting the opposition 2 goals a game who won't be there.
Geelong this season crack 90 points routinely.

The issue is they also give up 25 scoring shots or more fairly regularly.

I'm not sure what St Kilda's accuracy this year has tended to be like but a number of our wins have relied on wayward opposition goal kicking.

St Kilda are such an odd side, they looked really good in the 1st half against Carlton, destroyed Hawthorn in Q1 and were pretty clinical against Richmond.

They also flubbed games against North and West Coast.

I think they are coming into form at the right time and will beat Geelong by 25 points.

St Kilda are such an odd side, they looked really good in the 1st half against Carlton, destroyed Hawthorn in Q1 and were pretty clinical against Richmond.

They also flubbed games against North and West Coast.

I think they are coming into form at the right time and will beat Geelong by 25 points.

They're a really sh*t team and do not deserve to make finals. Both clubs shouldn't be there come September as Adelaide would put up a better showing with the form Tex is in right now.

If Geelong play as they did on the weekend, it will be enough.
Unfortunately, they may have given everything and as a consequence, teams often come out flat the following week.

They're a really sh*t team and do not deserve to make finals. Both clubs shouldn't be there come September as Adelaide would put up a better showing with the form Tex is in right now.

If Geelong play as they did on the weekend, it will be enough.
Unfortunately, they may have given everything and as a consequence, teams often come out flat the following week.
The thing about the Saints is they don't get belted but they dont annihilate teams.

Adelaide got a hold of them with 14 goals off turnover, which was their only genuinely awful performance this year. They have been bad in patches but they just sort of hang around in games.

Extremely difficult side to read, I am sure even St Kilda supporters dont know what they are going to get half the time.

Back