Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Crows v Swans Sat Aug 19th 7:40pm EST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Swans by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct.

"The Arc" is an absolute crock of s**t and whoever is operating that is absolutely kidding themselves. Calling that tech "hawkeye" is making an absolute mockery of tennis.

We get 3 cameras > 200m apart trying to zoom into to pixelated, blurry rubbish and claim that it's the same precision as the tennis tech. Hilarious.
To be fair its a lot easier with tennis as the ball bouncing creates a definite area to focus on and it's either in or out. I do agree that the technology the AFL uses is highly flawed though.

The worst goal umpiring decision since the 2009 GF where Hawkins shot clearly bounced off the post and the blind bat goal umpire paid it a goal.

Probably even worse since the umpires didn't have the benefit of going to a review back then.

No one knows anything. What happened between the frames of the replay? Only quantum memory of the atoms at Adelaide Oval tonight…

If it was a goal, it makes up for the non-call throw right in front of goals earlier.

The entropic natural of the universe sometimes look a lot like karma…

Air gap the entire time, with no point in time showing the ball overlapping any part of the post.
(it passes the line well before you see the padding)

Professor, without knowing exactly how the AFL is going to adjudicate this in retrospect, would you say it is time to crack open the heads of the AFL C-suite and feast on the goo inside?

Yes I would Kent.

Last edited:
This is the problem nobody every says anything because they get scared of a fine
More than that, remember Mick Malthouse. Only coach in the last 20 years with the guts to openly criticise and lost his job because of it. Hardwick the only other coach in that time period I can think of to criticise regularly. He only got away with it because he was smart enough to not be obvious about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. You're a supporter of a club who has never won a flag in your entire 27 years. As I said, joke of the AFL.
Woah coming from a fan of a club that hasnt won one for what 25?

You know what would have guaranteed a win tonight?

Not letting Sydney beat you convincingly for 3 quarters, was it a goal ? clearly it was but its not like you didnt have many many other chances

Besides i remember you guys were loving it when Jenkins kicked his 'goal' or last year when Lachie Murphy was too 'sore' (desite not being injured and playing the next week) to take his kick so Dawson could ..

That was a goal. Poor decision by umpire and bizarre it wasn’t sent for a review. Crows were robbed. Side note that was the worst umpires game I’ve watched in a while.

That was a goal. Poor decision by umpire and bizarre it wasn’t sent for a review. Crows were robbed. Side note that was the worst umpires game I’ve watched in a while.
Unfortunately since the four umpires were introduced the umpiring standard is at an all time low one of the biggest mistakes the afl have made time to go back to three.
I can’t believe that was not a goal surely they should have reviewed that,the afl will come out and say a mistake was made but it doesn’t help the crows who would have and should won the game .

The umpiring was atrocious all night, favoured Swans early, favoured Adelaide late and then to pay a behind as conclusively hitting the post, when it was quite clearly a goal to essentially decide the outcome was a s**t way for the game to end.

If it had have gone to review with the soft call as behind, I don't even have the confidence it would have been overturned despite it being a clear goal and the vision being conclusive to almost everyone.

There are 10 umpires on the ground and a score review official. This just shouldn't happen, and we can blame the goal umpire all we like, but 4 field umpires with at least 2 likely to be in the vicinity, and potentially consultation allowed from the boundary umpires this should never happen,

Interestingly the score review official can initiate a score review prior to recommencement of play, so would have to base this on live vision. With a behind, and a quick kick in (likely professionally from the Swans) they wouldn't have the time to review replays. If was given a goal, despite hitting the post, they would have the ad-break and until the next centre bounce to review vision

It is a fundamentally a broken system, that needs to be overturned or scrapped with people accepting goal umpires make mistakes, cant be easy with all that is going on. But to not go to a review and rule it conclusively to hit the post is unforgivable from the field umpires.

With 2 minutes left on the clock, and a centre bounce, a quick clearance and inside 50 to the Swans could have resulted in a goal, putting them back in front, but Adelaide were dominating at that stage so unlikely, But we will never know.

It would be pissed if I was a Crows fan, as would any other supporter if it was their own club.

Adelaide have likely been shafted by technology, not process. Which should not happen in a multi billion dollar industry. How much does a solid camera cost? 2-3k each? A few on each end of the ground at each venue wouldn't cost anymore than 200k total.
I think you're wrong. What happened to all goals are reviewed? They have so many umpires so avoid this sort of thing yet it happens all the time. What a sh1t show. That umpire should absolutely never umpire again. Clear incompetence.

Whilst I don’t usually have much sympathy for the crows, swans fans bringing up poor on field umpiring is irrelevant. On field umpiring mistakes are a part of the game and happen every game.

We have a system in place to ensure goal umpiring decisions are as accurate as possible. It is an absolute joke that it wasn’t used as the decision would have 100% been overturned.

Back