Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Semi Final (Week 2) - Port v GWS Sat Sept 16th 7:10pm EST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 49 46.7%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Port were soft, fumbly, hesitant, inaccurate, uninspiring, incompetent etc etc. How can a team play so well during the season and then dish up that in a big semi final?

Soft as butter 🧈 Port, two disgraceful finals efforts
Just as most of the finals have been this year, the side that gets the 2 to 3 goal break in front, holds on in a boring game of attrition of sameness,.
And catch up football is the name of the game, Port got anywhere near close and the pattern of this sport is the same,the winner manages to "put one back"after the loser adds one, but murders the opponents come back momentum.

That is what happened in that free kick against the fellow that bumped Hogan out of the way, I nearly fell off the couch, if ever I have seen an umpires goal that was one, can't even remember if Hogan got it ,but it was a score.

Pathetic but perfect! Thats how you describe the so out of touch umpiring that goes on these days.

Some of these fellows have no comprehension it seems of degrees of effort and endeavour of the pressure and to pull some thing as petty as that out, in front of goal?

When defenders are desperately defending , means defending is becoming obsolete some times.

Because umpires react to the only thing they know, the split second branding by the AFL in rule greying, which I've mentioned on here for years, and they seem to be trained instructed to the absolute degree to pick any petty penalty that should not be even a penalty, besides the real free kicks, mentioning the word real free kicks is a joke in itself. A free should be a free that all notice black and white, for some reason this AFL regime have thrown a blanket of question marks over most umpiring decisions to stop injury.

Well, cover injuries with lifelong life time insurance signed and agreed to NO LITIGATION to be terrified of

Or just ban contact in total, and do a real whack job on our sport .

They are paid to follow it to perfection these umpires they go too far.

And in doing so they create unfairness, the like of which we have only been seeing in the rule manipulation by AFL since Gil and Dem 20 odd years ago when it began!

If any of you on BF can get onto an article written by former Docker Paul Hasleby, you'll find it online in the Sunday Times in Perth
today 17/09/2023. Id you have a computer you will find it.

It speaks about perfection being aimed for by the AFL administrators.

Who appear to me, to not really have any feeling toward the way real football fans and footballers know it.

The cameras' the time wasting, the finger touching of what is a great kick spoilt, by being perfect with a bleeding camera when we just want to see good football, and not light reflected "MAY BE'S"!

With no absolute guarantee. The goal from a straight kick that may have been scraped by the finger tip is not worth the unfairness of a "no goal" call, the kick went straight and the finger nail player was a second too late to get any real affect on the ball. Goal.

Worse the player that screams touched, that is the perfect example of how the game mind set is being changed where we see players calling for free kicks, GET THE DAMNED BALL DON'T ASK FOR HELP WITH A FREE.

Out on the Full, is also a joke.

I'm an old bloke these days and I know what I see and I see an over adjudicated flimsy mess of a game that looks brilliant at times but then is assassinated by zealotry in the umpiring and rules committee.

And worse!
THE GAME LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IT DID, if you are over 30 and you can't see what is happening, then you are easily pleased.

So what? We get better better cameras?????? what a fortune that'll cost.

Maynard and Brayshaw is the story of the week??????????

150 years of footy never needed this rubbish.
This is not about GWS winning.

They were far far superior to Port and probably were never going to lose.
Port were pathetic and surprised me totally with their ineffectiveness, I thought they'd have a real go.

So the game was a let down in a footy sense because GWS were looking the goods from word go.

The other spoiler is how these finals have all played out, THEY LOOK CLOSE, but in actual fact except maybe Carlton v Melbourne the leading team getting the break seems to never lose.The game style has killed the real comebacks.

So if that's evening up the match ups , well it isn't!

If you get my drift.

Goal umpires are humans too let them pick the result, cameras on many occasions, I mean everyone has seen more than a handful of camera mistakes that have been shown.

Now to all those who send LOL'S laugh out loud or Lots of Love thats fine but a real opinion would be better, because I tell you truthfully I have three memberships in my family, I keep mine for voting purposes, but my two out of three sons have given the memberships and the game the bullet, ( yeah stupid me still pays for the three) They never go to games.

Both live in my hometown Melbourne, I 've said this before but unless BF is full of people with no opinion at all, I have to wonder if any one of you out there, really feel passionately for the culture and the real football Australian Style.

I also have mates in my age bracket who just don't care any more, too many teams too.

I always put that in! Dilution makes the skill level less. Ever seen so many fumbles and points or bad passes IN FINALS!!!!!
two divisions in the AFL .

And the richest team in Australia ( in a traditional football state too, has won seven out of its last fifty four games.
For crying out loud.

RIP Ron Barassi one of the greatest legends this game has ever seen, he was lucky enough to see Melbourne get the flag a couple of years ago, but he would be a gentleman who would say yes the game is much faster and so forth, he'd never say a bad word about the sport, then and now.
But deep inside he'd know what I am talking about. Game was harsh many years ago , but the 90'sonward they got their act together, but the 2000's began the rot into political correctness, it is a heartbreak when umpires can win a game. You all know that.

Players beg to play footy what ever the risk, but to the AFL the risk is money, and they try to protect the unprotectable in a contact sport, like our unique game on this planet OUR sport, but it looks like second rate rugby , and the Warriors and Newcastle looked better for half a game later on in replay.

So what do you reckon, will the end of McLachlan do the trick, or is his replacement another FoxFooty-AFL sycophant.

Just as most of the finals have been this year, the side that gets the 2 to 3 goal break in front, holds on in a boring game of attrition of sameness,.
And catch up football is the name of the game, Port got anywhere near close and the pattern of this sport is the same,the winner manages to "put one back"after the loser adds one, but murders the opponents come back momentum.

That is what happened in that free kick against the fellow that bumped Hogan out of the way, I nearly fell off the couch, if ever I have seen an umpires goal that was one, can't even remember if Hogan got it ,but it was a score.

Pathetic but perfect! Thats how you describe the so out of touch umpiring that goes on these days.

Some of these fellows have no comprehension it seems of degrees of effort and endeavour of the pressure and to pull some thing as petty as that out, in front of goal?

When defenders are desperately defending , means defending is becoming obsolete some times.

Because umpires react to the only thing they know, the split second branding by the AFL in rule greying, which I've mentioned on here for years, and they seem to be trained instructed to the absolute degree to pick any petty penalty that should not be even a penalty, besides the real free kicks, mentioning the word real free kicks is a joke in itself. A free should be a free that all notice black and white, for some reason this AFL regime have thrown a blanket of question marks over most umpiring decisions to stop injury.

Well, cover injuries with lifelong life time insurance signed and agreed to NO LITIGATION to be terrified of

And in doing so they create unfairness, the like of which we have only been seeing in the rule manipulation by AFL since Gil and Dem 20 odd years ago when it began!

If any of you on BF can get onto an article written by former Docker Paul Hasleby, you'll find it online in the Sunday Times in Perth

Who appear to me, to not really have any feeling toward the way real football fans and footballers know it.

The cameras' the time wasting, the finger touching of what is a great kick spoilt, by being perfect with a bleeding camera when we just want to see good football, and not light reflected "MAY BE'S"!

With no absolute guarantee. The goal from a straight kick that may have been scraped by the finger tip is not worth the unfairness of a "no goal" call, the kick went straight and the finger nail player was a second too late to get any real affect on the ball. Goal.

Worse the player that screams touched, that is the perfect example of how the game mind set is being changed where we see players calling for free kicks, GET THE DAMNED BALL DON'T ASK FOR HELP WITH A FREE.

I'm an old bloke these days and I know what I see and I see an over adjudicated flimsy mess of a game that looks brilliant at times but then is assassinated by zealotry in the umpiring and rules committee.

And worse!
THE GAME LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IT DID, if you are over 30 and you can't see what is happening, then you are easily pleased.

Port were pathetic and surprised me totally with their ineffectiveness, I thought they'd have a real go.

So the game was a let down in a footy sense because GWS were looking the goods from word go.

The other spoiler is how these finals have all played out, THEY LOOK CLOSE, but in actual fact except maybe Carlton v Melbourne the leading team getting the break seems to never lose.The game style has killed the real comebacks.

If you get my drift.

Goal umpires are humans too let them pick the result, cameras on many occasions, I mean everyone has seen more than a handful of camera mistakes that have been shown.

Now to all those who send LOL'S laugh out loud or Lots of Love thats fine but a real opinion would be better, because I tell you truthfully I have three memberships in my family, I keep mine for voting purposes, but my two out of three sons have given the memberships and the game the bullet, ( yeah stupid me still pays for the three) They never go to games.

Both live in my hometown Melbourne, I 've said this before but unless BF is full of people with no opinion at all, I have to wonder if any one of you out there, really feel passionately for the culture and the real football Australian Style.

I also have mates in my age bracket who just don't care any more, too many teams too.

I always put that in! Dilution makes the skill level less. Ever seen so many fumbles and points or bad passes IN FINALS!!!!!

And the richest team in Australia ( in a traditional football state too, has won seven out of its last fifty four games.
For crying out loud.

RIP Ron Barassi one of the greatest legends this game has ever seen, he was lucky enough to see Melbourne get the flag a couple of years ago, but he would be a gentleman who would say yes the game is much faster and so forth, he'd never say a bad word about the sport, then and now.
But deep inside he'd know what I am talking about. Game was harsh many years ago , but the 90'sonward they got their act together, but the 2000's began the rot into political correctness, it is a heartbreak when umpires can win a game. You all know that.

Players beg to play footy what ever the risk, but to the AFL the risk is money, and they try to protect the unprotectable in a contact sport, like our unique game on this planet OUR sport, but it looks like second rate rugby , and the Warriors and Newcastle looked better for half a game later on in replay.

So what do you reckon, will the end of McLachlan do the trick, or is his replacement another FoxFooty-AFL sycophant.

This is BF not a book club. That's 2000 words too many.

half hour delay at the aflw game today while they had to wait for a snake handler to turn up to deal with the red-bellied black snake that was sitting in the forward pocket. A pig won’t kill you.🤣
You'd have to pretty unlucky for a red bellied black snake to kill you too.

And worse!

If you get my drift.

For crying out loud.

What does any of this mean?

You'd have to pretty unlucky for a red bellied black snake to kill you too.
True
but you’d be in extreme pain puking and s#*ting for days - also, if it but you on, say, your finger, chances are better than even it would need to be amputated (localised necrosis they call it) so all in all, still a bit more dangerous than a piglet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same here, jumped onto AFL app at half time and couldn’t believe the score line.
GWS are a serious team, but at home Port should be winning this game.
Port's prelim loss at home in 2021 set the precedecent for me, blown away by a Bulldogs side by 70 that were themselves beaten by 70 odd in the gf. For this match, though I still believed it was near 50/50 surely they'd pull their head in and get it done at home. But in the last 3 seasons Port have looked shaky and full of holes in finals, so it really wasn't a surprise. I thought the media was overhyping GWS but after this I believe they're the real deal. I think if they're not overawed and settle early (ala 2019 GF) they'll take it up to the Maggies and make (most likely) Brisbane really earn a gf win.

Port's prelim loss at home in 2021 set the precedecent for me, blown away by a Bulldogs side by 70 that were themselves beaten by 70 odd in the gf. For this match, though I still believed it was near 50/50 surely they'd pull their head in and get it done at home. But in the last 3 seasons Port have looked shaky and full of holes in finals, so it really wasn't a surprise. I thought the media was overhyping GWS but after this I believe they're the real deal. I think if they're not overawed and settle early (ala 2019 GF) they'll take it up to the Maggies and make (most likely) Brisbane really earn a gf win.
Yeh, the Port home finals losses of recent times is a conundrum and Port fans are better placed than me to comment. However, i’m not sure how much is home pressure, system or players but it needs to be addressed.
GWS are well placed, but won’t be easy against the Pies at home, let’s hope it’s a classic.

What does any of this mean?
You need maturity and a little inner thinking to read and take in an opinion, seems too many of you are too lazy to read through or too incapable of delivering a good answer to why its right or wrong , one of you can't read 2000 words I haven't counted them but he/ she did I guess.

Oh and EFF my grammar people, sorry teachers??

I love a good debate, and I am not in fear of putting a position on the state of the game on BF,.
But BF must have a one liner set up for most people,I thought it was a place for some point making, not comedy, not lazy people who can only get to about ten words and lots of times the words are just insults.

Don't you want to debate footy and all things about it, or is this just for those who want to make smart remarks.

There has to be some out there with some nous, to discuss , what has happened to the game, but maybe that's too many words too.
Things like camera, and rules and no contact, and dodgy finger tip touches , got any idea what I am saying , well no?
Good go read my other post properly , if you can?

What does any of this mean??? Hell Mr X what do you think it means?
Then we can have a discussion!

I think you were trying to say something about the state of modern day umpiring?
It said a lot more than that brother.
There are too many things wrong with it, its is magnificent a lot of the time, but there are rules that aren't needed there is a definite push to ease the contact and contest, there are 50m penalties seriously unfair some , out on the full penalties when kicker is under pressure, or when the "victim" is half a metre out from the line and its an accident, why is that a free? Mr X?

They are not needed, they can turn a game, and if they are needed I would love it explained, when an accident or a fair bump or tackle become a holiday for the player doing the football, like the assassination attempt on Maynard, and my skipper doing three weeks for getting a free kick for a marvelous tackle, and my club sat back and did not appeal and appeal and appeal.
You see Mr X it is a mindset poisoning all admins that its fine to get rubbed out for playing football. But for me it is too much and if you haven't seen your team's day ruined by not one but maybe three or four unknown free kicks, then you are not a football follower.

Now I've written too much, but hell, a good debate would be fun opinions and ideas, what is the problem?

Litigation fear, is what is killing the contest /contact, that can be answered by insurance at the highest level and what ever the cost for the lifetime of the individual.
One of those few thousands over time that actually make it, over the decades we've watched, with the ability to play at the highest level. Little addition , we got too many teams! And2 divisions ok I am gone.

Back