Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Elimination Final - Saints v GWS Sat Sept 9th 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 42.1%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Among the worst you are generous

Let's be honest about the umpires selected for finals:

God tier - Stevic
A - Hosking, Williamson
B - Mollison, Foot
C - Deboy, Gavine, Broadbent, Rosebury, Meredith
D - Findlay, Donlon, Gianfagna
E - Stephens, Nicholls, O'Gorman

Power and Johanson had a better season than some of these E list umpires imo. Probably even better than the D list ones.

Let's be honest about the umpires selected for finals:

God tier - Stevic
A - Hosking, Williamson
B - Mollison, Foot
C - Deboy, Gavine, Broadbent, Rosebury, Meredith
D - Findlay, Donlon, Gianfagna
E - Stephens, Nicholls, O'Gorman

Power and Johanson had a better season than some of these E list umpires imo. Probably even better than the D list ones.

I still haven’t forgiven Stevic for that grand final

to still be whining about the start-up concessions from 12 years ago is pretty naff to be honest.

it also conveniently overlooks the impact from the likes of Connor Idun (pick 61) or Jake Riccardi (pick 51) or Toby Bedford (pick 75 - traded for pick44), Jack Buckley (cat b rookie from the Sydney league) Callum Brown (cat b rookie from County Derry), Lachie Keefe (pick 69 in the rookie draft & then as a delisted free agent after 3 years out of the game)

Western Sydney local kid Kieran Briggs wasn’t even bid on when we took him at 34. Jesse Hogan might have been a rising star but when we became his third club we got him for pick 54. And don’t forget the Killarney Vale Carpenter Daniel Lloyd (who’ll play his 100th next week)

the year we took Brent Daniels at 27 & Sam Taylor at 28 St Kilda took Hunter Clark & Nick Coffield at 7 & 8

over a decade down the line I think we’ve moved beyond the whole ”gifted” top picks BS.
The salty so and so believes the reason the Saints have been rubbish for decades has been because of a 12 year old club.
Shows where his head is at.

Well done Giants. Way too strong for us.

Can't say I was overly confident going into the game. Giants are clearly the in form side of the comp and are the only side in that bottom 4 that can win it.

The way they have been able to quickly replenish that list is a credit to them.

Back to the drawing board for us. Not all negative. We were the youngest side playing finals and have gotten more games into teenagers for a finals side than any side since 2010.

Need to add some quality to the midfield though.

Well St Kilda had about as much impact on the finals as most sensible people expected.

The Ross Lyon blueprint of competitive mediocrity in full effect.

Defensively sound but can't kick more than 10 goals a game.

Enjoy him Saints fans. Years of 7th to 14th finishes to come. :$

Adopting the Giants as my finals team, I like the Kingsley connection and impressed with how they've gone about it this year.

I think they're good enough to beat the Saints, would be a lot more confident in Sydney but they've missed that home final by a goal or two.

Giants by 5, I trust their big name players in finals more than the Saints.
Giants proved too good in the end. I know the Saints finished 6th in the Home and away but I've felt the whole year they just weren't that good.

I've always been a believer that the Ross Lyon gameplan doesn't stack up when it critically matters.

I feel like they're still middling/ stuck in that also ran position, they're not rebuilding but I don't have them as a rising team like the Giants, Crows or Hawks are.

I dont exactly know what they need on their list but I reckon it starts in the midfield for them, they lake a game breaking midfielder as a start if they want to go further.

Some folk may need to be reminded where StKilda have been the last few years with list, standards, recruitment. They are building. This is not the end product. RTB has had them for less than a year. It's been a good year for them, and they caused Giants some heart flutters yesterday.

Well St Kilda had about as much impact on the finals as most sensible people expected.

I’m sure they’ll be fine. Experimental year for Lyon even yo the point he played kids n a final over players that would have performed better.

Horrific injury run didn’t help.

For Toby Greene it's probably been his worst game of the year, in the biggest game of the year, when he is arguably GWS's most important player.

Well below par by his standard today.

and the giants still won comfortably ... which would be somewhat alarming to teams who still might have to face them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilarious seeing a beaten spud like Webster mouth off in the closing stages of a 5 goal loss to Greene, all because Greene accidentally hit him with the ball when throwing it behind? Ok Jimmy come play for North where you can’t hide behind the likes of Wilkie & Wanganeen
Beaten? He didn't play on Greene until late in the game. He would have toweled him up yet again if he did, Greene is Webster's bunny.

I'm now a Giants fan.
I thought Briggs was the player that caused the saints a lot of trouble.
Is a Demons/Giants Grand Final possible?

We kicked more than 10 goals in this game, the same number of goals that Carlton kicked against Sydney.

At least 3? Your facts are full of holes.
Fined for an eye gouge on Bont.
A week later, he was suspended for eye gouging Neale.
Then, if you've been following the conversation, he managed to locate another eyeball on the weekend.
And appeared to do something similar in the grand final against Liam Baker, whilst trying to cover his hand with his other arm.

Apart from the recent accidental one, the other 3 were all in 1 year!
Filled the holes for you.

Fined for an eye gouge on Bont.
A week later, he was suspended for eye gouging Neale.
Then, if you've been following the conversation, he managed to locate another eyeball on the weekend.
And appeared to do something similar in the grand final against Liam Baker, whilst trying to cover his hand with his other arm.

Apart from the recent accidental one, the other 3 were all in 1 year!
Filled the holes for you.

Rubbish.
It’s a 2 to a 1.

Your holier than though rubbish is almost Dogs levels.

Rubbish.
It’s a 2 to a 1.

Your holier than though rubbish is almost Dogs levels.
Dude, I LITERALLY gave you 4 examples of things that happened in the real world.
You're only making yourself look like an idiot by ignoring it.
All I did was make a joke about his accidental eye contact against Wood. You wanted to go on with it like I shat in your cereal.

Dude, I LITERALLY gave you 4 examples of things that happened in the real world.
You're only making yourself look like an idiot by ignoring it.
All I did was make a joke about his accidental eye contact against Wood. You wanted to go on with it like I shat in your cereal.
And no “appeared” and making shot up isn’t really world.
Still with the holier rubbish.

And no “appeared” and making shot up isn’t really world.
Still with the holier rubbish.
Mate, it's pretty obvious what he was doing. If you can't see that, then maybe you've been poked in the eyes by Toby too.
The evidence is there for all to see. I'm out.

Back