Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Preliminary Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 23rd 5:15pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 111 44.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton played their Grand Final on Friday night. They are on the same trajectory as Brisbane were last year. Carlton and Brisbane were the underdogs who beat Melbourne at the MCG in a Semi-Final, before having to travel to play a rested opponent in the Preliminary. Last year Brisbane came back to the MCG and got smashed by eventual Premier, Geelong, while this year Carlton head North to the GABBA. The only difference I can see is that this year, Carlton look physically banged up, with a number of players under injury clouds.

If you are a Carlton supporter, you have absolute license to dream about a win. Your team gave you that. Like plenty of neutrals, I was out of my chair when Acres kicked the winning goal, in what anyone who loves football will recognise as a truly great football moment. It reminded me a little of Michael Conlan kicking the sealer to put Fitzroy a point in front of Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. Acres will be remembered for that moment.

As for the Brisbane Lions, there is a sense of destiny this year and we are playing the best football we have played since our return to relevance in 2019. Brisbane will go into the game with a largely unchanged side from the one that kicked 19.9.123 to dismantle Port Adelaide by 48 points.
Carlton are going to struggle to contain a forward line that boasts Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, Rayner, Bailey and McCarthy. Brisbane have too many avenues to goal.

In the midfield, the Lions have Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage and a rejuvenated Zorko as the new “Fab Four” and Oscar McInerney winning ruck contests and generating clearances. Throw Fletcher and Berry in to the mix on the wings and Robertson, Rayner and Bailey into occasional rotations in the middle and the ‘engine room’ looks very well serviced.

Finally, Brisbane’s defence has been rock solid and super cohesive after Jed Adcock got the job of tuning it up as defensive line coach. Andrews is in great touch, intercept marking and spoiling beautifully, Payne is stepping up as a great understudy and Starcevich is one of the meanest lock down defenders playing. Where Brisbane have improved this year is they have reincorporated Ryan Lester, who is the king of ground ball gets, while also playing the ‘Backline General’ role and enlisted Connor McKenna, who has been a gun for us. Lester, McKenna, Coleman and Wilmot add something Brisbane haven’t been able to bring to previous Preliminary Finals, a balanced and aggressive rebounding unit.

This is what Carlton are going to come up against on Saturday and while they were heroically brave against Melbourne, against this Brisbane team, at the Gabba, on form, they are going to struggle.

When Carlton and Brisbane last met. Rd.8 - Marvel Stadium

Carlton’s Last Game at the GABBA 2022, Rd. 21

Brisbane’s Last Game.

Carlton’s Last Game.

Last edited:
Carlton won’t win this one.
Didn't you say that your club would beat us as well?:grinv1: I'd say the Dees fans must have broken all their cheese boards in anger, after the final siren on Friday night.:laughv1:

We're in bonus territory really. That Carlton flag is coming fairly soon i think. Go Blues!

Last edited:
Didn't you say that your club would beat us as well?:grinv1: I'd say the Dees fans must have broken all their cheese boards in anger, after the final siren on Friday night.:laughv1:

We're in bonus territory really. That Carlton flag is coming fairly soon i think. Go Blues!
What has this got to do with Melbourne? I had an opinion the other night and your mob sooked because you didn’t like it, I said I think Brisbane will win and you’ve had a whinge again and roped Melbourne into it.

Fact is you’ve got a very good opponent in Brisbane playing at their home ground and I think you’ll need to do more than play in a way where you scrape home.

What has this got to do with Melbourne? I had an opinion the other night and your mob sooked because you didn’t like it, I said I think Brisbane will win and you’ve had a whinge again and roped Melbourne into it.

Fact is you’ve got a very good opponent in Brisbane playing at their home ground and I think you’ll need to do more than play in a way where you scrape home.
The only whinging that i can hear seems to be coming from yourself, and the rest of the cheese board eating Melbourne contingent.;)

Brisbane are playing a good team in us as well. You guys did self destruct to an extent, but i'm very impressed with the fight and character Carlton are showing this year.

The only whinging that i can hear seems to be coming from yourself, and the rest of the cheese board eating Melbourne contingent.;)

Brisbane are playing a good team in us as well. You guys did self destruct to an extent, but i'm very impressed with the fight and character Carlton are showing this year.
What exactly am I whingeing about? I am the first to admit Melbourne clearly aren’t up to it and have said as much and more in my assessment post game. Stop talking s**t.

The thread is about the game this weekend, if you don’t like my tip then chug off to the Carlton board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly am I whingeing about? I am the first to admit Melbourne clearly aren’t up to it and have said as much and more in my assessment post game. Stop talking s**t.

The thread is about the game this weekend, if you don’t like my tip then chug off to the Carlton board.
No mate i have no issues with it. As long as Collingwood don't win the flag, then i'll find a way to cope.:laughv1:

Last time Carlton lost a game of football with something play for was early June.

11 wins since including 3 of the top 4, one of the top 4 twice, and two finals.

At this point it feels like we'll have to win the 3 flags for Bigfooty to take notice.

Set your calendars - 30 Setember 2025 - your come to jesus moment :thumbsu:

Last time Carlton lost a game of football with something play for was early June.

11 wins since including 3 of the top 4, one of the top 4 twice, and two finals.

At this point it feels like we'll have to win the 3 flags for Bigfooty to take notice.

Set your calendars - 30 Setember 2025 - your come to jesus moment :thumbsu:
Carlton’s resurgence has been monstrous. Defied the form slump and criticism to climb into the 8 and win 2 finals. Whilst I think Brisbane will win, I don’t think Carlton go unnoticed. They’ll be serious business next year.

Carlton’s resurgence has been monstrous. Defied the form slump and criticism to climb into the 8 and win 2 finals. Whilst I think Brisbane will win, I don’t think Carlton go unnoticed. They’ll be serious business next year.

"Next year".

How about next Saturday?

Lions will most likely win, but so far what a season from the baggers! 15th after 13 rounds, 5% chance to make finals, 9 wins in a row, 11 of our last 12, underdogs in 5 of those games, first finals in 10 years, first finals win in 10 years, first prelim in 22 years. Momentum is huge in footy and the blues will keep trying to ride the wave! Massive task this weekend!

Go Baggers!

The AFL's biggest fear is a real possibility of coming true, they will spin a Lions v GWS Grand Final as a great thing for football, but secretly behind closed doors Gil & co would love a Pies v Blues GF. The "consarnits" from the AFL seats in both finals will be ear bleeding. The Lions will beat The Blues by 10 goals plus...Lions by 65 points.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll win. Logically Brisbane have it all going for them - quick track, well rested, dangerous forward line, gun midfield.

However, I'm fairly confident we'll put up a fight. Defensively you cannot ignore how impressive we've been. Playing with a lot of heart at the moment and never giving up.

Last year we were criticised for melting in the big moments. This year we're being criticised when we hang on and win the big moments at the end of games.

Bring it on. So excited to be in a preliminary final.

On a side note, I find it hilarious reading North and Melbourne fans venting their hatred for Carlton.

Biggest match in a generation for us.

Of course it will hurt if we get this close and miss out on a grand final. But at the same time the season as a whole has been a success no matter what happens and has set an incredible platorm for 2024.

I hope we go in and play with the freedom of underdogs and just play great fearless footy

Back