Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Elimination Final - Saints v GWS Sat Sept 9th 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 42.1%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't quite put my finger on it but, there seems to be something about Toby that rubs people up the wrong way. Is it the swagger, the head angle, or something else.

Last edited:
I can't quite put my finger on it but, there seems to be something about Toby that rubs people up the wrong way. Is the swagger, the head angle, or something else.
They're just annoyed he he doesn't play for their club.

Swans are called 'Sydney'

The crowds chants 'Sydney'

The supporters are drawn to 'Sydney'
And?
It took you almost 30 years for the supporters to be “drawn”. That and an internal war from the major code in the state.

Giants have many issues, not being full time is a major one in my opinion, but our name is not one of them.
It will be if they drop it to The Giants.
Greater Western Sydney offers a point of difference.
Seems most sports create a “Western Sydney” club.
Being something different is great.
Plus it’ll * our song, the best in the league.

Well done to GWS as they were too good on the day. For everything the Saints threw at them, they had an answer.

The thing that blew me away was the 68,000 plus at the G. Even in the glory years of 2008-2010 I highly doubt we could have drawn a crowd like that against an interstate team, let alone the team with the least amount of supporters in the AFL.

And?
It took you almost 30 years for the supporters to be “drawn”. That and an internal war from the major code in the state.

Giants have many issues, not being full time is a major one in my opinion, but our name is not one of them.
It will be if they drop it to The Giants.
Greater Western Sydney offers a point of difference.
Seems most sports create a “Western Sydney” club.
Being something different is great.
Plus it’ll * our song, the best in the league.

Swans gained traction by the end of the century. Hardly 30 years.

Greater Western Sydney isn’t entirely the problem, although it’s not a place name used by folks who live here, but rather an administrative term used in policy. Western Sydney would be more appropriate.

Read my posts. It’s interstaters abbreviating it to “G-W-S.” How about a bit of respect for where the club comes from, instead of treating it like some US college? How do the target market identify with a G-W-S, referenced all the time? They’re saving breath on one freakin syllable by not saying the full name.

West Bromwich Albion in English football are often abbreviated to WBA in print, but no one says “W-B-A.” Do Melbournians call South East Mebourne Magic or Phoenix, “S-E-M” in conversation or commentary?

The club has played in more GFs and finals than the Sydney Swans in the first 10 years in the metropolitan, yet the Giants are at a fraction of the support of the Swans with this competitiveness.

Be a club for the people of Western Sydney, rather than some project which is what the rest of country seems to be treating it as.

Last edited:
Swans gained traction by the end of the century. Hardly 30 years.
Gained traction is one thing, Giants have gained traction, being a powerhouse club of the city (eastern side) is another.
Greater Western Sydney isn’t entirely the problem, although it’s not a place name used by folks who live here, but rather an administrative term used in policy. Western Sydney would be more appropriate.
And?
The Golden State isn’t a name used by anyone either but is a name of a club. It’s still a name of a region.
Don’t talk to me like I’m not a local, born and raised Dharruk and Erskine Park.
Read my posts. It’s interstaters abbreviating it to “G-W-S.” How about a bit of respect for where the club comes from, instead of treating it like some US college? How do the target market identify with a G-W-S, referenced all the time? They’re saving breath on one freakin syllable by not saying the full name.
I did read, it’s a rant by someone upset they ain’t a 1 club town.
Yeah damn Aussies never be colloquial eh? Never abbreviate or have nicknames.
They “associate” by being in that “target market”. Grassroots and community programs etc.
If you had complained about VFLers commentary continuing to call us “The GWS” you would of gotten support from me.
As I’ve said my issue actual kinda is the association of the region and our part time status here.

West Bromwich Albion in English football are often abbreviated to WBA in print, but no one says “W-B-A.” Do Melbournians call South East Mebourne Magic or Phoenix, “S-E-M” in conversation or commentary?
So?
The club has played in more GFs and finals than the Sydney Swans in the first 10 years in the metropolitan, yet the Giants are at a fraction of the support of the Swans with this competitiveness.
12 years ago you won a flag, settle.
The Swans are over 100 years old and had 30 years as the only club for the sport in the largest city in the country.
Let’s not make out like the Swans are the poor old downtrodden newbies to the area.
Be a club for the people of Western Sydney, rather than some project which is what the rest of country seems to be treating it as.
I agree, but not in the way you think, we need to be full time in Sydney, probably also change the way our board is created.

Last edited:
Gained traction is one thing, Giants have gained traction, being a powerhouse club of the city (eastern side) is another.

And?
The Golden State isn’t a name used by anyone either but is a name of a club. It’s still a name of a region.
Don’t talk to me like I’m not a local, born and raised Dharruk and Erskine Park.

I did read, it’s a rant by someone upset they ain’t a 1 club town.
Yeah damn Aussies never be colloquial eh? Never abbreviate or have nicknames.
They “associate” by being in that “target market”. Grassroots and community programs etc.
If you had complained about VFLers commentary continuing to call us “The GWS” you would of gotten support from me.
As I’ve said my issue actual kinda is the association of the region and our part time status here.

So?

12 years ago you won a flag, settle.
The Swans are over 100 years old and had 30 years as the only club for the sport in the largest city in the country.
Let’s not make out like the Swans are the poor old downtrodden newbies to the area.

I agree, but not in the way you think, we need to be full time in Sydney, probably also change the way our board is created.

I think your rage and parochial view is making you extremely emotional.

And assuming much? I haven't written anywhere that the Sydney metropolitan should be a one-club town. In fact, having a cross-town rivalry is fantastic for both clubs and the game in general.

If you read the original post, it was to Plugger35 who commented GWS had no fans. I responded by saying moronic interstaters living south of the Barassi line calling the club 'G-W-S' doesn't really help the club's efforts.

I WAS picking out how interstaters call the club G-W-S at every opportunity. The club is Greater Western Sydney. Yes, I don't think it's the good name. The 'Greater' could be dropped, but that's what it is. So give the club the respect and call it 'Greater Western Sydney,' or the nickname 'Giants' in commentary and analysis. Is Golden State abbreviated to G-S? G-W-S is an abbreviation coined by lazy commentators outside of NSW and an organisation in the AFL having no connection to the metropolitan. That's not a Sydneysider abbreviation. Like I said, Victorians don't abbreviate South-East Melbourne Phoenix to S-E-M in conversation, so why do it with the Giants? But now it's stuck and any new followers to the game here would be confused as to that name. It's s**t branding.

I have no idea about what you mean about full-time status in Sydney. As far as I was aware, the club are FT at Olympic Park. Probably a bit too far east to have an effect with the heartland of Western Sydney. They're straddling areas which are already Swans such as the Inner West and Lower North, but nonetheless that's where they're based now.

Last edited:
I think your rage and parochial view is making you extremely emotional.
I dont rage, anymore. Too many bans in the early years.
But when people complain about inane things, that have been brought up time and again, irrelevant to the clubs growth it can get frustrating.
And assuming much? I haven't written anywhere that the Sydney metropolitan should be a one-club town. In fact, having a cross-town rivalry is fantastic for both clubs and the game in general.
Well its the usual with the Swans fans.
If you read the original post, it was to Plugger35 who commented GWS had no fans. I responded by saying moronic interstaters living south of the Barassi line calling the club 'G-W-S' doesn't really help the club's efforts.
I know who posted originally.
Club being abbreviated to GWS doesn't harm the club at all. The commentary calling them "The GWS" is bloody annoying though.
I WAS picking out how interstaters call the club G-W-S at every opportunity. The club is Greater Western Sydney. Yes, I don't think it's the good name. The 'Greater' could be dropped, but that's what it is. So give the club the respect and call it 'Greater Western Sydney,' or the nickname 'Giants' in commentary and analysis. Is Golden State abbreviated to G-S? G-W-S is an abbreviation coined by lazy commentators outside of NSW and an organisation in the AFL having no connection to the metropolitan. That's not a Sydneysider abbreviation. Like I said, Victorians don't abbreviate South-East Melbourne Phoenix to S-E-M in conversation, so why do it with the Giants? But now it's stuck and any new followers to the game here would be confused as to that name. It's s**t branding.
Disagree completely.
I have no idea about what you mean about full-time status in Sydney. As far as I was aware, the club are FT at Olympic Park. Probably a bit too far east to have an effect with the heartland of Western Sydney. They're straddling areas which are already Swans such as the Inner West and Lower North, but nonetheless that's where they're based now.
Playing the games at Canberra.
To far east rubbish. 10 mins from Parramatta.

Back