Autopsy AFL 2023 First Elimination Final - Carlton v Sydney Fri Sept 8th 7:50pm EST MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Um what?

This is how I summed up our match
You're a good poster and have always been. But every team have their nuffy blame umpires toxic posters.

I can guarantee if we had lost last night there would have been Carlton fans blaming umpires. It's bottom of the barrel stuff and shows no respect to the opposition. Just deflection to make yourself feel better.

Seriously, how many crucial ARC decisions are going to go their way? Why do the goal umpires keep saying it was touched when they had absolutely no idea? It goes against umpiring conventions where you are not allowed to make decisions based on a guess.

Carlton got one against Collingwood where Elliot kicked a goal in the last quarter. We were making a charge in the last and it ruined our momentum.
Carlton got one against Melbourne where Petracca kicked a goal in the last minute and would have won the game.
Carlton got one last night again.

Is it time for a rule change where the goal umpire has no soft call in the ARC review? If the ARC review cannot determine anything then the goal stands.

With the current rules, the goal umpires can manipulate the outcome of the game.

Which arc decision was wrong last night?

Both were touched

Now the Carlton fans know what it feels like to deal with Swans fans. We’ve had to deal with it for 7 ******* years!
You'll find the majority of the whinging about umpires is from neutrals, not us.

We needed to be better in front of goals early.

Most of Demon's misses came from difficult angles or from around 50m mark. Our defense was so dominant, it forced them to take difficult options. We missed way more easier shots than Melbourne did actually.
Dude , McKay missed 2 from the goalsquare. Carlton should have put the Swans away a lot earlier.
The result was never in doubt after half time. The scoreboard says 6 points , should have been a lot more .

You'll find the majority of the whinging about umpires is from neutrals, not us.

We needed to be better in front of goals early.
Let's be honest there's no such thing as neutrals when it comes to teams like Carlton. Everytime we win these threads are littered with umpiring talk and yet when we lose absolute crickets. The umpiring was putrid both ways (as it is most games) with a heap let go both ways

That one was touched. The other one was inconclusive.
The other one was clearly touched - there was a visible change in the ball's spin. Second one looked inconclusive which would have meant a behind anyway but based on that photo it was touched. Both correct decisions in the end but technology needs a massive overhaul in the offseason. The fact that a camera person is getting a better view than this million dollar technology is embarrassing.

Last edited:
The other one was clearly touched - there was a visible change in the ball's spin. Second one looked inconclusive which would have meant a behind anyway but based on that photo it was touched. Both correct decisions in the end but technology needs a massive overhaul in the offseason. The fact that a camera person is getting a better view than this million dollar technology is embarrassing.
I thought this was the "other one". It was Acres both times I think. This one is still inconclusive. Look at it this way. If the goal umpire called it a goal, the goal would have stood. You couldn't overturn that.

I thought this was the "other one". It was Acres both times I think. This one is still inconclusive.Look at it this way. If the goal umpire called it a goal, the goal would have stood. You couldn't overturn that.
Based on the footage we saw live probably not conclusive. But the photo now I think confirms the right call was made - the photo was of the second Acres one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the footage we saw live probably not conclusive. But the photo now I think confirms the right call was made - the photo was of the second Acres one
Anyway my point of the argument is not whether the ball was touched by a single skin molecule or not, but the goal umpires are making potential season defining decisions based on a guess.

Anyway my point of the argument is not whether the ball was touched by a single skin molecule or not, but the goal umpires are making potential season defining decisions based on a guess.
Yeh 100% technology needs to be overhauled massively

You're a good poster and have always been. But every team have their nuffy blame umpires toxic posters.

I can guarantee if we had lost last night there would have been Carlton fans blaming umpires. It's bottom of the barrel stuff and shows no respect to the opposition. Just deflection to make yourself feel better.
I agree that every team has one eyed supporters and every game someone will blame umpiring... but you can't just say there is no impact from umpiring decisions by definition. Makes no sense. They are a variable in the game.

Most obvious example being Adelaide goal being called a point.

I agree that every team has one eyed supporters and every game someone will blame umpiring... but you can't just say there is no impact from umpiring decisions by definition. Makes no sense. They are a variable in the game.

Most obvious example being Adelaide goal being called a point.
As you rightly pointed out, umpires are one variable of many in a very complicated, contested game with numerous variables.

To say umpires are the cause in isolation without giving the opposition team credit is disrespectful trolling and I'll die on a hill on that one.

You beat Adelaide from an umpiring howler with 8 seconds to go , on your home deck.
Maybe that umpire should win your B and F as well ?
Surely you did not forget that one ....
Ha very very good point worm, short memories in this thread

Go Blues

Back