Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 22 - Pies v Cats Fri August 11th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats youth copping a hiding on the post show...

I think they're tracking along fine.

Holmes is only about to reach 50 games next week. How many footballers are stars in their first 50 games?
De Koning 40 games, Bruhn 48 games, Stengle 58 games, Henry 45 games. These guys already look like they belong so imagine pumping another 40 games into them.

No. They are 1 win from wrapping up the minor premiership, however that is not what the McClelland Trophy is awarded for anymore.
Sorry, I didn’t realise they changed it this year.
In 2023, the AFL announced that the trophy would henceforth be awarded to the team with the highest aggregate points across both the AFL and AFLW competitions and that $1 million prize money would be awarded to the winning team.

Yeah that was putrid. Hard to label it corruption though seeing as the play on call came before anyone got their hands on it cleanly. There was another dud bounce in the last quarter that wasn't called back either

The ball stayed in the circle, so in my opinion it was play on. Just one of those unlucky bounces which happen all the time in our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we should just ignore his finals record?
His didn't do anything against Geelong last year. In the preliminary final against Sydney, kicked two very early goals and butchered two others in the second half which he would ordinarily kick if he knew it wasn't the be all and end all.

I think he's overrated.
Commentators have talked up as though he'd be a Toby Greene or Dustin Martin if not for injury setbacks. That's a bit of a stretch.

Maybe it's more the fact there is no mandated requirement when celebrating a player for their exploits in specific games to also talk about every game in which they didn't do the same. A poor game against Geelong last year has absolutely nothing to do with kicking goals after the siren and in the dying minutes to win several other games. It's those games being talked about, not whatever criteria you are imagining exists to measure 'did it in these games' vs. 'didn't in those ones'. "Clutch" and however else you think he's being overrated does not have any measurable criteria. It's just footy vocab that dares to go beyond the big 3 (awesome, amazing, and unbelievable).

Maybe it's more the fact there is no mandated requirement when celebrating a player for their exploits in specific games to also talk about every game in which they didn't do the same. A poor game against Geelong last year has absolutely nothing to do with kicking goals after the siren and in the dying minutes to win several other games. It's those games being talked about, not whatever criteria you are imagining exists to measure 'did it in these games' vs. 'didn't in those ones'. "Clutch" and however else you think he's being overrated does not have any measurable criteria. It's just footy vocab that dares to go beyond the big 3 (awesome, amazing, and unbelievable).

Whenever a sports star is given the title 'clutch' I automatically look at how they have performed in all matches.
Elliott has kicked some absurdly clutch goals to win games but never in the finals.

If I ask you this, who has been the more clutch footballer, Elliott or De Goey, what is your answer?

Whenever a sports star is given the title 'clutch' I automatically look at how they have performed in all matches.
Elliott has kicked some absurdly clutch goals to win games but never in the finals.

If I ask you this, who has been the more clutch footballer, Elliott or De Goey, what is your answer?

Elliot has played about 16x times more H&A games than finals 🤡

I don't know what more clutch means, especially when it's coming from you. But for fun's sake, if I had to guess which player has kicked the most 'match-winning' goals I'd guess Elliott but it could easily just be recency bias. I'd never hesitate to say JDG is the better and more important player though. By a long way.

No wonder Jeremy Cameron wanted to go to Geelong, he gets at least a few extra goals a game from the umpires there than what he got at GWS.

Great career move.

I understand the 3 blind mice in yellow cannot see that the ball went out of play.

3061167719624425037.png

How come there was no score review? I thought they review every goal? Surely they check the footage and see that Cameron receives the ball out of play before taking the kick - therefore no score ball up?

Elliot has played about 16x times more H&A games than finals 🤡

I don't know what more clutch means, especially when it's coming from you. But for fun's sake, if I had to guess which player has kicked the most 'match-winning' goals I'd guess Elliott but it could easily just be recency bias. I'd never hesitate to say JDG is the better and more important player though. By a long way.

I'll make it easy for you, De Goey has easily outperformed Elliott in the finals. In fact, he and Pendlebury elevate their usual output once the real stuff begins.
You can essentially chalk in De Goey for 25 disposals and a goal in every final coming up.

I wish.

Dogs definitely favourites, Saints more a stretch just to annoy CC. :)
Ask chef about the Dogs in Geelong.
More chance of Everton beating Liverpool at Anfield.

I understand the 3 blind mice in yellow cannot see that the ball went out of play.

3061167719624425037.png

How come there was no score review? I thought they review every goal? Surely they check the footage and see that Cameron receives the ball out of play before taking the kick - therefore no score ball up?
I think they can only review the scoring element. Otherwise they'd have overturned goals where a teammate has immediately prior dropped the ball or thrown it etc.

Cameron got a couple of dubious calls. The ump didn't recall a bounce that led to a Pies goal.
Ultimately the poor umpiring didn't affect the result.

I think they can only review the scoring element. Otherwise they'd have overturned goals where a teammate has immediately prior dropped the ball or thrown it etc.

Cameron got a couple of dubious calls. The ump didn't recall a bounce that led to a Pies goal.
Ultimately the poor umpiring didn't affect the result.
That is an interesting point, not saying you are wrong but how exactly is the "scoring element" defined cause seems ambiguous? Surely whether a player is inside the field of play when he has a shot on goal is part of the scoring element? How is it different to checking to see if the ball was touched off the boot when kicked? If a player taps it back into play and then a goal is kicked ala Wayne Harmes is that not reviewable?

Back