Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Pies v Lions Fri Aug 18th 7:50pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies have lost 3/4 and only beat 11th by 8 points in the last month. A bit of a worry so close to September.

A month ago, I thought they would win the flag comfortably, now I think it's a close race between a few teams.

Interesting stat from Cooney, pies only had 47 inside 50s tonight, 45 last week and 43 the week before. Only 2 teams average less than 50 inside 50s, North and West coast. McRae worried about 124 points against, and poor defensively shows they got issues all over the ground.

Alot of players playing out of position or haven't nailed down a position is a worry as well imo.

Not many years where the top team would go into finals in such poor form, along with port dropping off Brisbane really are as good a chance as any now.

Lions felt like a 5-6 goal better side all night long.

Some managing of players in the last quarter stopped the margin from being that.

Come on now, don’t be like that. Take the win, but it’s okay that Collingwood didn’t quite need it as much as your mob. Nothing wrong with that.

You would have to be a little nervous though.
From here on in, it's all about form and Collingwood don't have it.

No doubt their best is still ahead of anyone else's but at this stage, I think Collingwood would prefer to play Port Adelaide at the MCG in week 1 opposed to Melbourne.

No doubt their best is still ahead of anyone else but at this stage, I actually think Collingwood would prefer to play Port Adelaide at the MCG in week 1 opposed to Melbourne.
Collingwood’s best isn’t better than anyone else. Not at all. Their game plan looked electrifying earlier this year before teams worked it out. It wasn’t dissimilar to Melbourne’s game plan in 2018, which looked brilliant, but was always doomed to eventually fail. Not saying they can’t win it if they return to their form from three months ago miraculously overnight, but there is little separating the top 5 teams. I’d actually say the Lions, Demons and Blues best is the best.

Collingwood’s best isn’t better than anyone else. Not at all. Their game plan looked electrifying earlier this year before teams worked it out. It wasn’t dissimilar to Melbourne’s game plan in 2018, which looked brilliant, but was always doomed to eventually fail. Not saying they can’t win it if they return to their form from three months ago miraculously overnight, but there is little separating the top 5 teams. I’d actually say the Lions, Demons and Blues best is the best.

Based on 2023, Collingwood have been the best team so yeh, their best is better than anyone else.
Carlton will be lucky to win a final let alone two.
Melbourne definitely, I've liked them for the best part of 2 months now but only if Grundy remains out of the team. Melbourne match up well on Collingwood and would almost give em the edge in a knock out final.

Lions will do nothing at the MCG. If they do make it through to the grand final, expect another one of those games where they hang around for a half before looking lost and throwing in the towel come the third (premiership) quarter.

That's a defeatist attitude. They just stated an historical stat. Doesn't mean they can't win it. Just means they'd have to go against current history to do it.
Records are there to be broken. Why would you just shut up shop when the odds are against you?
Well, I have just put $50 on Sportsbet for the Blues to win it from 5th. I think that my mob -,the Pies - will go out in straight sets. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if they lost to Essendon at the MCG next Friday night. Goodnight & good luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's always excuses when they lose. Flu, outs, not trying etc. When Melbourne beat them in particular I thought they were pretty much as good as I've seen them. Carlton not far off. Against Adelaide they played as well for most of those games as I've seen this year. They haven't looked absolutely unbeatable like great teams of the past, no team really has this year. They just look good when they always come back, but haven't seen them dominate any contenders except Port earlier. They've managed to be the most consistent over the H&A season, but unsprusingly are coming unstuck.

If they win it'll be the same fast, chaotic style and intense pressure, but its different from early in the season when their one trick gameplan was getting them over the line.

There's always excuses when they lose. Flu, outs, not trying etc. When Melbourne beat them in particular I thought they were pretty much as good as I've seen them. Carlton not far off. Against Adelaide they played as well for most of those games as I've seen this year. They haven't looked absolutely unbeatable like great teams of the past, no team really has this year. They just look good when they always come back, but haven't seen them dominate any contenders except Port earlier. They've managed to be the most consistent over the H&A season, but unsprusingly are coming unstuck.

If they win it'll be the same fast, chaotic style and intense pressure, but its different from early in the season when their one trick gameplan was getting them over the line.
Totally agree. Collingwood’s KPI’s have been low now for months, it rarely happens that a side just turns it around overnight. I heard their inside 50 count over the last month or so was the 3rd lowest in the league - how do you rectify that overnight? Just won’t happen. They must have one of the lowest percentages ever for a side sitting 1st too, which often is a good barometer.

I suspect Collingwood will end up playing Melbourne in the Qualifying Final and putting all bias aside, I think Melbourne would win that (presuming no big names get injured over the next two weeks), especially if Daicos is still missing.

That would likely mean Collingwood would play Carlton in a Semi Final, and on current form, it would be impossible not to tip Carlton.

I really thought it was in Collingwood’s best interests to win today to keep Melbourne away from 4th.

It would probably end up being better for Collingwood if they dropped next week and 1st place, and landed a clash with Port at the MCG (2v3), avoiding Carlton if they lost that game.

If Melbourne finished 4th and lost that Qualifying Final, I also expect it would be a hard road for them to win the flag from there, but slightly more likely as they’re in better form, playing finals-type footy and have the experience of having ‘been-there-done-that’.

I agree. As Fly said during the week, if tonight’s game was a GF, Hill and JDG would’ve played. That tells you the mindset of the group. We can afford to be in preservation mode, but then starting next week, should get back to winning form.

No doubt their best is still ahead of anyone else's but at this stage, I think Collingwood would prefer to play Port Adelaide at the MCG in week 1 opposed to Melbourne.

Naturally the Pies would rather face the interstate sides over the VIC ones at the MCG, in saying that, our history shows we play pretty well against the Dees too.

I don’t imagine the Pies fear anyone at the MCG and come September, will probably need to get wins against each of Port, Lions and Dees regardless across the 4 weeks.

So Collingwood’s best isn’t better than anyone else and you believe Lions, Demons and Blues best is the best yet if Collingwood returns to their firm if 3 months ago, you’re not saying they CAN’T win it?

I’m not for or against that original comment, but your response is far too loose and frankly an odd opinion which you’ve added no real meat to.

There's always excuses when they lose. Flu, outs, not trying etc.

Isn’t there an excuse/cause for everything that happens?

When Melbourne beat them in particular I thought they were pretty much as good as I've seen them. Carlton not far off. Against Adelaide they played as well for most of those games as I've seen this year.

We haven’t been belted by anyone this year really - that’s actually a compliment what you’ve said. The gap between Collingwood’s best and worst isn’t that great. It’s a good point you raise.

They haven't looked absolutely unbeatable like great teams of the past, no team really has this year. They just look good when they always come back, but haven't seen them dominate any contenders except Port earlier. They've managed to be the most consistent over the H&A season, but unsprusingly are coming unstuck.

16 and 2 18 rounds in. That’s a pretty decent record. I don’t believe anyone ever really looks unbeatable unless we’re talking Essendon 2000 or Geelong/Collingwood 2011 etc. during. It’s only in hindsight we make that call. If Pies win next week, and win their 3 finals in September, pretty sure people will pull out the whole ‘unbeatable’ card since they only really dropped 3/4 late after they’d secured top spot. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

How is it different? What was Geelong’s second trick last year? You talk a lot of smack sometimes, and you add so much mayo to it whenever Collingwood loses 😂

Totally agree. Collingwood’s KPI’s have been low now for months, it rarely happens that a side just turns it around overnight. I heard their inside 50 count over the last month or so was the 3rd lowest in the league - how do you rectify that overnight? Just won’t happen. They must have one of the lowest percentages ever for a side sitting 1st too, which often is a good barometer.

Their percentage isn’t even bottom 3 of the last 6 premiers. What an odd statement.

I suspect Collingwood will end up playing Melbourne in the Qualifying Final and putting all bias aside, I think Melbourne would win that (presuming no big names get injured over the next two weeks), especially if Daicos is still missing.

Whats the logic behind Melbourne beating Collingwood exactly if there is no bias?

That would likely mean Collingwood would play Carlton in a Semi Final, and on current form, it would be impossible not to tip Carlton.

Wowee, you’ve got us going out in straight sets.

I really thought it was in Collingwood’s best interests to win today to keep Melbourne away from 4th.

Don’t reckon Collingwood is worried about anyone in September. Their priority is locking in top 2, and they’ve done that. It’s every other side in the competition that wouldn’t really like to face Collingwood at the ‘G in September when it’s all on the line.

It would probably end up being better for Collingwood if they dropped next week and 1st place, and landed a clash with Port at the MCG (2v3), avoiding Carlton if they lost that game.

Strange how you’ve now got Collingwood needing to avoid Carlton. You’ve given zero substance around why that’s the case.

If Melbourne finished 4th and lost that Qualifying Final, I also expect it would be a hard road for them to win the flag from there, but slightly more likely as they’re in better form, playing finals-type footy and have the experience of having ‘been-there-done-that’.

The same Melbourne side who gave Brisbane their only victory at the ‘G last year since 2014. A side that has ‘been there, done that’ in September doesn’t allow that to happen.

That's a defeatist attitude. They just stated an historical stat. Doesn't mean they can't win it. Just means they'd have to go against current history to do it.
Records are there to be broken. Why would you just shut up shop when the odds are against you?
It’s just such a daunting thing to overcome. I can’t believe a team that has lost 2 of their last 4 H&A games have never won a flag that year.

I’m pulling up stumps, it’s game over for the Magpies now. There’s literally no point even playing Essendon next week.

If McCreery gets suspended and Rayner doesn’t, the AFL isn’t serious about protecting the head. That act was malicious and far more dangerous.
I agree rayner is in trouble. At first I thought he was pushed. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I believe rayner will be cited for his tunnelling effort. But the McCreery one is what the afl want gone from the game.

Beau is lucky Motty played out the game. Which he may get 1 week. But if they are serious about that action it may be more.

Wasn't the only tackle either but I think Pendles dumped a lion in the 3rd but didn't get pinged for it

Back