Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If GWS win, it would be a monumental effort.

I can't see how they can get up after that Brisbane game followed by the Collingwood game.

Both games were the same. Tough, hard fought battles down to the death. Both within a goal. These types of games take a hell of a lot out of a side due to the physicality, emotion and just the energy used by playing a full 4 quarters of full on cut throat football.. none of that kicking it sideways, backwards and chilling out for last quarter. Add the travel in of Sydney - Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Sydney - Melbourne all within the space of 2 weeks.

In contrast, Richmond haven't left Melbourne. They've had two easy games where they had complete control most of the time. The Geelong game they took a while to get going, but the game wouldn't have taken too much out of them. They basically cruised all game and won on a burst of about 20 minutes.

I'm seeing an absolute belting coming up.

AFL dream grand final by having GWS in there, but it will fizzle hard when they are down by 10 goals at half time.
There's an argument that the Giants are battle hardened, and their style is better suited to tough, contested finals.

I can't see how they can get up after that Brisbane game followed by the Collingwood game.

Both games were the same. Tough, hard fought battles down to the death. Both within a goal. These types of games take a hell of a lot out of a side due to the physicality, emotion and just the energy used by playing a full 4 quarters of full on cut throat football.. none of that kicking it sideways, backwards and chilling out for last quarter. Add the travel in of Sydney - Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Sydney - Melbourne all within the space of 2 weeks.

In contrast, Richmond haven't left Melbourne. They've had two easy games where they had complete control most of the time. The Geelong game they took a while to get going, but the game wouldn't have taken too much out of them. They basically cruised all game and won on a burst of about 20 minutes.

AFL dream grand final by having GWS in there, but it will fizzle hard when they are down by 10 goals at half time.

What ? We played the lions in QLD. lol

I had my appendix out in 2011 - 3-4 days after were pretty s**t but it was fine the second week after - I’d say the biggest unknown would be he might be underdone training wise - you can’t do any heavy lifting for (iirc) 3 weeks after the surgery, so I’m guessing his load would be limited to cardio/swimming - he would’ve had the whole last week off.
I’ve heard he isn’t allowed to run until Thursday, look he’s too important for them not to play him but we’ll see how he goes.

The GF could be decided in the first 5 min, if Mumford flushes his first attempt of an “accidental “ elbow/clothesline on Dusty and then “carelessly” drives his knees in to Cotchins ribs (the way he did to Murphy) then GWS are home, just comes down to whether or not he hits his targets- he sure as hell will be trying to

Anyone thats done the ballot before, how does the process work? Do I have a short timeframe to buy the ticket? Have this awkward thing called work and wont have all day access to the net.
If you’re successful the first way you’ll find out is when they charge your card, probably tomorrow. Pretty sure you get sent an info email soon after and all you have to do is collect your tickets from a Ticketek outlet during the week (you can’t print or use a mobile ticket)

Brisbane is in Melbourne now apparently. And coming from 21pts down at half time is an easy win. Gotcha

I know a lot of people are going to say they have no interest in watching these two teams play off for the flag, but this grand final has some serious intrigue that makes it quite unique.

1. GWS have arguably more stars but the Tigers are the most cohesive team in the competition. The only side currently playing footy matching the Tigers for full even contribution from all 22 players is the Giants. I expect a true battle all around the ground next Saturday because these two system based clubs will throw absolutely everything at it as two massive units.

2. Arguably the most important team selections in grand final history. GWS could realistically bring 3 of their top 5 players back INTO A GRAND FINAL SIDE. Has that ever happened before in the history of the game? Going to be super pretty unlucky boys this Thursday.
Also, Richmond could be forced to make two changes with question marks over Broad and Graham. Rumours flying around that Marlion Pickett could be the first player since 1952 to make their debut in a grand final. Surely couldn't happen could it?

3. GWS in their first ever grand final. They become a true, legitimate AFL club in a weeks time (for those who didn't consider them to be before).

4. What the hell must Brett Deledio be thinking? Really feel for the bloke after learning about the past couple of years he has endured.

5. Battle of the theme songs. It may sit in the 'love it or hate it' camp, but for those who get around it, Big Big Sound is the only song that can rival Tigerland for sheer catchiness and epicness.

6. Will the Giants be battle hardened or physically spent after a gruelling 3 weeks?

7. Can the Tigers atone for last seasons untimely exit?

No matter who wins here another one of Clarko’s assistant coaches will win the Premiership once again. Proudly keeping the tradition going since 2013.

2013 - Hawthorn
2014 - Hawthorn
2015 - Hawthorn
2016 - Western Bulldogs
2017 - Richmond
2018 - West Coast
2019 - Richmond/GWS

Up next... Brisbane Lions

:$:thumbsu:

Many who have left.

Treloar
Shiel
Hoskin-Elliott
Adams
Ahern
Wilson
Steele
Smith
Scully
Tyson
the list goes on..
That's actually a pretty uninspiring list. They cooked a hell of a lot of high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, here i was thinking Richmond played Brisbane up at the Gabba a fortnight ago. Must have been a dream, thanks for awakening me.
Brisbane is in Melbourne now apparently. And coming from 21pts down at half time is an easy win. Gotcha
What ? We played the lions in QLD. lol
By Grand Final day Richmond will have been in Melbourne for three weeks in that time GWS have had to travel to Brisbane once and Melbourne twice.
That’s the difference.

GWS grand final and Gold Coast Wooden Spoon. Oh how wrong one went.

I went to the 2017 Prelim and there was around 50 GWS fans.. Tonight there was a couple of thousand. They have done well building their brand

I noticed the same thing tonight, too. Not just their cheer squad, but there was a noticeable amount of orange whenever I looked around the crowd, amongst all the black & white. They're becoming very successful off field as well as on.

All of them bar Tyson are best 22 players at the other clubs they went to.
If Ahern is best 22 than there's no reason why Tyson isn't, given they both spent most of the year in your VFL side.

And after seeing them today I don't think GWS will be missing Trelolar or Adams.

Back