Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just glad I can barrack for a team on the big day now.

Go giants!

I started barracking for the Lions last week, but i had an inkling that they would hand the Pies a grands final berth on a silver platter after those 5 first quarter GWS goals, even if they ever fought back. Bandwagon officially switched from that moment on!

Massive embarrassment if Richmond stuff this one up. I think they will win it quite comfortably though. They're in good form and are playing a 'tired' side. GWS have to play at their best and Tigers to have a real shocker if an upset is to eventuate. Hopefully for the neutrals sake the game is still alive going into the last qtr.

I don't know. Were the Dogs tired in 2016 given their travel route and the close wins they had, all the while Sydney easily beat Adel & Geelong. I think both the Dogs and Sydney played a sufficiently similar style of footy, so that they were always going to be neck and neck all day. GWS & Richmond, while playing a little differently, i still think play a similarly hard crash n bash type of game with GWS having enough speed in the middle to be able to run with the Rich slingshot and a defence that could be disciplined enough to keep them in it. So i do actually think the teams should be close and it will be a competitive contest.

The only thing i fear is a few terrible momentum crushing umpiring decisions against the flow that hand the Tigers a 2-3 goal buffer by half time or in the 3rd. Creating a lead that can just never really be surmounted with the Tigers only having to absorb and pounce on a few turnovers to keep the Giants at a distance, and simply break even in the midfield for the next quarter to see off the Giants last attack. Followed of course with the customary and inevitable dam wall bust in the last 15 minutes as the Tigers win by 30-40.

Last edited:

A few posters in this thread claiming that the majority of neutrals will be on GWS. Why would they be? The plethora of punchable faces? Lachie "Hide me from ASADA" Whitfield? A coked-up Mumford? The struggles of the long-suffering fanbase? The difficulties of having to build a side from dozens of first-round picks? Phil Davis's diving? The joy it would give Kevin Sheedy? The Borat theme song?

Bewildering stuff (well, except maybe the Borat thing).

Yeah well done Giants but there wasn't an easier match up at the G for the Tigers.
Congrats tigers on winning another premiership
Well there was. I'd have played Geelong, Brisbane, Essendon at the G before the Giants.

I'd argue possibly Collingwood too, they only just beat Geelong and struggled yesterday as well so they look pretty average.

West Coast and the Bulldogs trouble us somewhat, very unpredictable and it could have gone either way.

Giants with players back are in the same boat, unpredictable and could go either way.

A few posters in this thread claiming that the majority of neutrals will be on GWS. Why would they be? The plethora of punchable faces? Lachie "Hide me from ASADA" Whitfield? A coked-up Mumford? The struggles of the long-suffering fanbase? The difficulties of having to build a side from dozens of first-round picks? Phil Davis's diving? The joy it would give Kevin Sheedy? The Borat theme song?

Bewildering stuff (well, except maybe the Borat thing).

I like the way they play fast and aggressive football. And the team they're playing already won one recently. It's not complicated.

Well there was. I'd have played Geelong, Brisbane, Essendon at the G before the Giants.

I'd argue possibly Collingwood too, they only just beat Geelong and struggled yesterday as well so they look pretty average.

West Coast and the Bulldogs trouble us somewhat, very unpredictable and it could have gone either way.

Giants with players back are in the same boat, unpredictable and could go either way.
Pies looked average last year and then spanked you in the prelim.

Fair enough on the bombers forgot about them that's how irrelevant their season was.
Either way if the Giants win this it'll be the biggest GF upset I can remember. Tigers 11 in a row against a side without any supporters. I understand conditioning yourself to a loss but Giants haven't got anywhere near them at the G

Was very ordinary last night. He'd want to lift significantly if he is to "shock" next week.
Absolutely. He’s currently in the firing line and I think he’d admit it. I would drop him against Collingwood but play him against GWS. He’s also a big unit and isn’t afraid to throw his weight around like Mumford.

You’re right, our midfield with 2 brownlow medallists and premiership players are no match for a team with currently........?
I’ll assume there’s other WCE posters with more football smarts around?
You are very bias if you think Richmond’s midfield has the talent to match kelly, coniglio, Taranto, Whitfield, zilliams, hopper, green. All of those bar hopper would be In your top 3 mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping for a GWS win with a Toby Greene norm smith.
I find it amusing people bitching about a 'manufactured' GWS team. The 'manufactured' teams such as the eagles, crows, power have made this a far better league. I might be in the minority but I'd rather see GWS win and build a big fanbase where they sell out home games rather than them stink it up for years and we end up having another Gold Coast situation.
Plus I love that dirty little campaigner Greene.

Wouldn’t it just be terrific for the long suffering loyal supporters of the giants franchise if they won a premiership? Couldn’t sell 1000 tickets to a home final 2 weeks ago, I hope the tigers beat them by about 30 goals.
The epitome of a franchise, a manufactured team who have had this appearance handed to them on a platter. Wouldn’t surprise me to to see them get a dream run from the maggots next week.
Very disappointed for the Maggies would have been a great grand final.
Wow. You sound really flat. I hope you can find some happiness.

I find it amusing people bitching about a 'manufactured' GWS team. The 'manufactured' teams such as the eagles, crows, power
Port Adelaide was founded in the 1800s.

Eagles and Crows were basically state teams built in cities where AFL was adored.

GWS exist simply to provide more revenue to the AFL.

Not sure you get over appendicitis and appendix removal that quickly.
If he gets back he won’t be in top nick, that’s for sure.
I think with the keyhole method you can. Will be a little underdone fitness wise but I don’t think he’s the type of player to suffer with his fitness. There was a player that had the same thing last year and I think they got up after a week with a similar surgery? I think it was someone from Collingwood or GWS.

What do you mean?
I think Richmond will win a close one.
Do you think people think Richmond will flog GWS?
It was being suggested during the match before GWS kicked 5 goals in the third quarter.
Now the expectation is that it will be close.

Port Adelaide was founded in the 1800s.

Eagles and Crows were basically state teams built in cities where AFL was adored.

GWS exist simply to provide more revenue to the AFL.
The eagles, bears and crows were bought in purely to provide revenue to the VFL that was about to collapse......

Same can be said for the GWS tall timber as well.
Himmelberg, Finlayson and Cameron are all 194cm+ and the forecast weather looks like being dry conditions.
Astbury and Grimes are going to be up against it just as Moore and Roughead were yesterday.

Hill, Greene, Daniels as the smalls, it's going to be a very even contest.
Hill will come out for Greene.

Back