Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if any of those pencil neck archeologists bothered to look they'd see CFC chiselled into the back of the rosetta stone...........
Not to mention that Stonehenge was actually a grandstand at Princes Park which was dismantled & shipped to the UK prior to the construction of the Gardiner Stand. The silly Poms couldn't work out how to put it back together again, thus they ended up with something which they would like to believe dates back to the Druids or some other civilisation.

IMO, Walsh will score more Brownlow votes than any other first year player in history. time will tell whether the Caldwell's etc will be better.

It’s going to be hard to beat Coleman’s 15 votes and 4th place finish in his debut season. Coleman was aged 20 whereas Walsh was 18 and 19 this season but Coleman kicked 100 goals that season so deserves best first season ever.

I also think Rozee may have more top 3 finishes this season than Walsh whereas Walsh had more Top 10 performances and was far more consistent.

Edit: Haydn Bunton won the Brownlow his first season (and second season and then a third time later) but he was ineligible to play his first year at Fitzroy due to illegal payments so he was aged 19 and 20 in his debut season. Not sure if his or Coleman’s debut season was more remarkable. Coleman won a flag his first year (against us).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Smith's junior record speaks for itself.

Has way more hurt factor than Walsh
Like you, I was one of the few who preferred Smith to Walsh pre draft. Still think he will be a gun player. Physical development in his first year was phenomenal. Different players, but after a season of Walshy, to repeatedly assert Smith to have more hurt factor is bloody disrespectful. Walsh is a high possession player with an innate ability to read the play, as well as the want and physical capacity to get to the fall of the ball.

Brilliantly complements Crippa, working in conjunction with some superior distributors such as Martin, O'Brien and SPS will be a thing of beauty for many years.

Last edited:

Wow,
We’re sitting here comparing oranges, lemons and limes...
All are great and all have their place....c’mon boys we have the best young kid seen in a long time so let’s not worry about the ones we don’t have.
How bout we go get McCluggage....I like the way he plays

Ive seen a few people go with this statement and it makes me wonder. SOS stated he rated Stocker top 6, supposedly Caldwell 5th and picked Walsh at 1, which means there are only 3 places to fill with either Luko, Rankine, M.King, B.KIng, Rozee, Smith, Thomas, Jones, Blakey.

1 walsh
2 rankine
3 rozee
4 Ben king
5 caldwell
6 stocker
7. Luko
8 Smith
9 jones

Max king has knee issues and didn’t play a game this year. We don’t need him so that is why he wasn’t in our top 6. Other two players were always going to father son picks so no point ranking them. Luko was less than impressive in draft year and this year too.

Its just doesn't add up to me, unless SOS is drafting on need and then it makes perfect sense, not sure how he could have Caldwell and Stocker at 5 and 6 and Walsh at 1 with all of those other names missing out.

Why we no want Townsend...
Not really a pressure forward crumbing type we need ... Papley, Betts and Butler are reportedly our targets.

After that, IMO we need more midfielders (Northern Blues had next to no one in midfield when Kennedy came into the seniors), a ruck around 24-26yo (should Kreuzer and Phillips - if he stays - be injured and until TDK is ready) and a small defender that can play on the small forwards ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butler is a done deal.

Townsend and his management approached Carlton about the possibility of joining but we said no.

#Bluemour
Pleased with this. Plenty of irons in the fire, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Interesting to see if he demands a best 22 spot or remains fringe as currently at Tiggers.

Townsend a solid player, but would be depth only, sensible decision.

Nothing in this universe exists to suggest Smith will be better long term than Walsh (or Caldwell for that matter) other than pie in the sky speculation.

Nothing does but he may and he may do for a variety of reasons, but unless injury intervenes, I don't see it and it has nothing to do with Walsh now being a CFC listed player, as I was saying the same more than 14 months ago after having watched Walsh live.

Last years draft was an exceptionally good one at the top end of things and it's highly unlikely too many clubs are going to be disappointed for what they got within the top ten, at least.....unless of course injury intervenes. (Rankine hasn't had a great start)

Wonder whether we'll have a Walsh vs Smith vs Caldwell thread on the main board in years to come.
I'm confident we will and would be pretty happy to have two of the three in Navy Blue. :)

Like you, I was one of the few who preferred Smith to Walsh pre draft. Still think he will be a gun player. Physical development in his first year was phenomenal. Different players, but after a season of Walshy, to repeatedly assert Smith to have more hurt factor is bloody disrespectful. Walsh is a high possession player with an innate ability to read the play, as well as the want ant physical capacity to get to the fall of the ball.

Brilliantly complements Crippa, working in conjunction with some superior distributors such as Martin, O'Brien and SPS will be a thing of beauty for many years.

Disrespectful? Interesting choice Coona

Purely assessing what I have seen over an extended period, through juniors and now the first year of the AFL. It is not as if this draft class is in it's 10th year and I am comparing Walsh to the likes of Neil Gaghan

My assessments on players are never clouded by who they play for, nor dictated by the short term good or bad periods. Walsh is an outstanding footballer, mentally and soon enough physically. His drive, dedication and will is a rare commodity for such a young player, it personifies leadership that not many possess. His ability to see the play unfold is outstanding. If I rate others better, worse or different, I don't see that as disrespectful, merely an observation, an opinion

Perhaps disrespectful were the countless, describing Weitering as a poor selection, or to trade him for whatever we could get.

I think comparisons are ongoing for all supporters and even after long careers consensus is rare

Disrespectful? Interesting choice Coona

Purely assessing what I have seen over an extended period, through juniors and now the first year of the AFL. It is not as if this draft class is in it's 10th year and I am comparing Walsh to the likes of Neil Gaghan

My assessments on players are never clouded by who they play for, nor dictated by the short term good or bad periods. Walsh is an outstanding footballer, mentally and soon enough physically. His drive, dedication and will is a rare commodity for such a young player, it personifies leadership that not many possess. His ability to see the play unfold is outstanding. If I rate others better, worse or different, I don't see that as disrespectful, merely an observation, an opinion

Perhaps disrespectful were the countless, describing Weitering as a poor selection, or to trade him for whatever we could get.

I think comparisons are ongoing for all supporters and even after long careers consensus is rare
Disrespectful, given the location you are posting in, and repetitive insistance of same mate. Understand where you are coming from, but you do get a bit dogmatic trying to give your views. It was a phenomenal draft, and we could end up with close to double figure "all time greats", so I have no desire to "pot" your opinion, just a bit miffed at the (at very least, premature) demotion of "our" boy.

It is not impossible that you will be vindicated in time, but Walshy had a stellar year and his year right up there with the very best from a draftee, and statistically THE best, despite the difficulty comparing eras.

He’s not exactly Cyril Rioli, but considering our only small forward is Gibbons (excluding every single midfielder we rotate through there), I’m content at this stage.

Get Papley and I’m over the moon.
I'll say it again for those in the back, GIBBONS IS NOT A SMALL FORWARD

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Butler looks almost there and Betts seems likely and Papley still better than 50/50. Does that mean we don’t get Sam Gray now? I thought that was pretty much done a month ago and don’t recall hearing anything to the contrary since.

Haven't been chasing Gray for weeks. Pulled out loooong ago. He has no suitors at the moment

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Butler looks almost there and Betts seems likely and Papley still better than 50/50. Does that mean we don’t get Sam Gray now? I thought that was pretty much done a month ago and don’t recall hearing anything to the contrary since.

Eddie McGuire on MMM this morning said ‘Papley to Carlton’ is very strong from what he’s hearing

Disrespectful, given the location you are posting in, and repetitive insistance of same mate. Understand where you are coming from, but you do get a bit dogmatic trying to give your views. It was a phenomenal draft, and we could end up with close to double figure "all time greats", so I have no desire to "pot" your opinion, just a bit miffed at the (at very least, premature) demotion of "our" boy.

It is not impossible that you will be vindicated in time, but Walshy had a stellar year and his year right up there with the very best from a draftee, and statistically THE best, despite the difficulty comparing eras.

The location? As for repetitive, perhaps I should just ignore replies directed my way because they contradict my views?

There is absolutely no demotion in my views regarding Walsh, in fact, my opinion has remained consistent, if that is dogmatic, so be it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back