Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't feel a lot of joy for Lynch , Prestia and Caddy.
Rewarded for a lack of loyalty, you'd rather it went the other way, to be honest.
??
Treloar: GWS traded hard, extracted good value, so not equivalent to Lynch (but still an example of Vic clubs going after new franchises’ kids)
Dunn: Had played 4 games the season prior to the trade, was deemed surplus to requirements and the Demons looked to move him on. Don’t know he fits in
Beams (from Bris, I assume): Awful look, see previous posts, but the Lions won that trade.
Varcoe: Only came to us as part of a five-way trade in which we lost Beams at his peak, hard to argue we fleeced anyone there, apart from grabbing Crisp, I guess.
Greenwood: Cost us pick 25 and he first went looking after North only offered him one year on fairly low money after he had finished high up in the B&F.
Howe: Multiclub trade (think he pushed his price higher than Melbourne were looking to pay, but not 100%)
Wells: North got second round compo after we insanely outbid them by a year and 700k. No flies on North. He wasn’t in his prime (to put it mildly).
Mayne: Freo received pick 23 compensation, what did Lynch cost you again?

Genuinely not sure what point you were looking to prove, don’t see the equivalence.
I get your continued point on Lynch. (but it's not like he cut and run after 3 years, he gave them 8)

But Caddy and Prestia? We gave up a high pick for Prestia, GC were well compensated. And we gave up a 20s pick for Caddy, Geelong weren't too keen on keeping him. Not sure, using your own Pies trade arguments, that you can begrudge Prestia or Caddy.

Lynch was a bargain champ.. the argument was Richmond received him without a trade. I don't particularly like Collingwood but his cold hard facts stand up.
Prestia did cost a trade so you win that argument. Not sure what Caddy cost in trade terms.
Richmond have taken advantage of being a Melbourne based power club in the premiership window that can guarantee a minimum of 7x 60k games, 2 x big finals and a good chance of a flag which is what every kid dreams of. Not hard to sell. Better chance of media and advertising opportunities.
Collingwood to be honest with their position similar to Hawthorn and Richmond have traded poorly to gain the franchise stars they got.
Essendon, Carlton and Melbourne will be just as ruthless when their time comes to take advantage if still available.
My guess is before their time arrives the AFL will intervene to make it harder for the power clubs to offer carrots to lure flag magnets such as Lynch to be captured without a fair trade given...
Be fu..kn graceful and just accept your team was good but had a golden opportunity to exploit it and took it!
Richmond were 13th in 2016 and destined for the wooden spoon, a sacked coach and once again the laughing stock of Big Footy at the end of the season. Revisionist history to suggest that we were a power based team about to mount a serious challenge for the flag. We were in turmoil.
We were very lucky to lure Prestia, (after we failed to lure Treloar), who hobbled around much of the first half of the season. Caddy was not considered much of a coup and Nank was a nobody.
Lynch I will concede.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hear a peep from your type if Lynch chose the club he supported as a kid and not their bigger cousin. He didn't chose the last years premier either as that was eagles. Collingwood even played the granny. Yet he chose the tiges and it burns you so much you come up with this raiding of clubs when Lynch and Prestia chose us, Prestia for pick 6 mind you, and Caddy was from Geelong. Those 3 suns we have are the picks we missed out on so is an even up. Your sour grapes are very sweet in my palette.

Jesus wept.

Prestia: gc traded hard extracted good value
Caddy: wasn't getting game time at Geelong came to Richmond for more opportunities (He didn't even come to us from gc which makes your argument even worse)
Timmy lunch: gc got first round compo after we insanely outbid them. Did his time wanted to play in big games in front of more than 10,000 people.

See how dumb your argument sounds now

Caddy left GCS.
Bringing Richmond into it is you flailing around looking for an excuse to be triggered, I never correlated the two.
Lynch left GCS as co-captain at its lowest ebb to go to a premier side.
I am not going to defend Beams on any level, If you’d bothered reading, you’d have already seen that.
I also wouldn’t throw my toys out of the cot if an opposition supporter didn’t feel much joy for Treloar, Adams or whomever. They’re under no obligation to.
I wouldn’t keep badgering people with bizarre posts in a vain effort to get them to share my opinion just because I have some bloke’s poster up on my bedroom wall and reckon everyone else just has to confirm what a grouse, super-loyal bloke he is.
I don’t cut up rough if an opposition fan doesn’t have the rose-coloured glasses on when it comes to my team’s players.
Unlike you. Why?

Two ways to look at the concept of "price" though guts.

Firstly, the cost to a club in draft terms, which you've eluded to, and one that is always to the advantage of the receiving club. I've always been very critical that the receiving club hasn't at least been required to hand over the equivalent draft points value of any free agent. But that's a flaw in the system, not in the the character of players like Tom Lynch, Reece Conca etc who simply execute their rights of free agency, as agreed to by the AFLPA and all clubs at the time of its introduction.

Secondly, and probably just as relevant nowadays, is the cost to a club in terms of salary cap space. We all know that this is a finite amount and needs to be managed meticulously - there is only so much allocated to the serious stars of the game at each club, so by introducing Tom Lynch at $1M/year there is naturally going to be a subsequent squeeze on the rest of the playing list. So the receiving club is generally required to pay overs to firstly extract a player, and secondly to fight off the offers of other clubs if there's a bidding war.

Tradewise, Tom Lynch only really cost the Tigers Reece Conca, as we could access no compensation for him due to getting Lynch, but there was a flow-on effect that Richmond effectively were ruled out of the market for players putting their up for trade at the time like Dylan Shiel, Mitch McGovern etc, and maybe Jeremy Cameron or Joe Daniher looking forward, due to salary cap squeeze.

People bringing up talk of disloyalty are just talking bulls**t.

Valid points. Would say:
The point about ruling themselves out of the market / flow-on effects is not really relevant, a club always has to weigh up its options and decide how to optimize / deploy assets, that is not specific to any individual transaction unless a player who’s willing to play for food and lodging appears on the horizon. The trade cost is easier to assess.
The point about having to overpay is not always the case, cf successful Hawthorn teams which brought in players on less than they may have received elsewhere. In general the winner of the auction will end up overpaying, though, that’s true.
Where this falls down, and you can disagree, is that neither you nor Lynch get to play universal arbiter on perceptions of loyalty.
Changing clubs was Lynch’s choice, it was his right to walk away, it was a great outcome for him and for Richmond, but that doesn’t come with the right to dictate / demand a favourable narrative around it.

Wouldn't hear a peep from your type if Lynch chose the club he supported as a kid and not their bigger cousin. He didn't chose the last years premier either as that was eagles. Collingwood even played the granny. Yet he chose the tiges and it burns you so much you come up with this raiding of clubs when Lynch and Prestia chose us, Prestia for pick 6 mind you, and Caddy was from Geelong. Those 3 suns we have are the picks we missed out on so is an even up. Your sour grapes are very sweet in my palette.

Do me a favour, then, and go and find some other examples of my outrageous anti-Tigers frothing during the game / throughout the season.
Shouldn’t be too hard, given my outrageous, scandalous bias, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

" fluked their way over the line on the prelim" is a strange way to say 'beat a lesser team'.

Pies had a shocker in the prelim. Worst effort they have put in for many, many years in a game of importance . They were just horrible. And yet they still should have won the game. That was the best indicator for me as to what was to come in the GF. All I can say is thanks Richmond, you’ve just paid for my European adventure next year, spending money included . I did a double take when I saw a line of -17.5 put up, I thought maybe that was for the first quarter. Tiges -39.5 and -59.9 both got significant attention too. And $21 to win by 80+ couldn’t be let pass without just a nibble.

It is just staggering how people buy into the crap the media sells is. Take fox footy’s resident expert David king - he tipped ess to win the flag . Pre finals he still had them making the prelim. Give us a break David . They sold gws all week and people fell for it . This was clearly the biggest mismatch since 2007. The best team in the comp by a mile playing the 6th/7th best who were on the road for a 3rd week running and were all banged up. -17.5. Jesus. Still shaking my head . Until next year

They're not too bad.
8 AA players, speed to burn, grunt to spare, selflessness and a couple of so so players thrown into the mix for balance.

The best example of our selflessness is to look at Trent Cotchins transformation, a player who gave up stats and possessions so he can play his roll for the team. We took the game to a new level and changed the way it will be played. If we get some get consistancy in 2020 we are going to be hard to beat.

I love what the hawks have achieved and as l said Richmond would not be the team it is today without the hawks.

if eagles and co didnt join your club would be dead
Wow that is probably the most ridicules comment I've read on Big Footy. I couldn't give a rats arse what happened over 25yrs ago & to say they "saved us" is a farse!
I don't condone continually whinging about the same topic for days upon days. He says he wants stop watching footy then he god dame can!! Worst part is his team won a flag last year! Not even Freo fans are sooking as much as him! Cry me a river.

Wow that is probably the most ridicules comment I've read on Big Footy. I couldn't give a rats arse what happened over 25yrs ago & to say they "saved us" is a farse!
I don't condone continually whinging about the same topic for days upon days. He says he wants stop watching footy then he god dame can!! Worst part is his team won a flag last year! Not even Freo fans are sooking as much as him! Cry me a river.

how were richmond going in 1986 before the Eagles and bears joined

So funny to watch the experts tipping the giants as the week progressed... mark mcclure... seriously what a dinosaur.

Pies had a shocker in the prelim. Worst effort they have put in for many, many years in a game of importance . They were just horrible. And yet they still should have won the game. That was the best indicator for me as to what was to come in the GF. All I can say is thanks Richmond, you’ve just paid for my European adventure next year, spending money included . I did a double take when I saw a line of -17.5 put up, I thought maybe that was for the first quarter. Tiges -39.5 and -59.9 both got significant attention too. And $21 to win by 80+ couldn’t be let pass without just a nibble.

It is just staggering how people buy into the crap the media sells is. Take fox footy’s resident expert David king - he tipped ess to win the flag . Pre finals he still had them making the prelim. Give us a break David . They sold gws all week and people fell for it . This was clearly the biggest mismatch since 2007. The best team in the comp by a mile playing the 6th/7th best who were on the road for a 3rd week running and were all banged up. -17.5. Jesus. Still shaking my head . Until next year

Excellent post.. the whole week was about how gws were going to beat the tigers. They had won 11 in a row.. did everyone forget that?

Jesus wept.
Do me a favour, then, and go and find some other examples of my outrageous anti-Tigers frothing during the game / throughout the season.
Shouldn’t be too hard, given my outrageous, scandalous bias, right?
A double quote from my 1 post to you. :$
Umm, I never said anything like that. Go back and re-read. You are obviously upset at the tiges for doing what Collingwood couldn't. I understand. I really do. You're embarrassed and ashamed, and figured if you start this raiding clubs crap you might drum up enough support to not seem like a sore loser. Sorry pal, it didn't take off.

how were richmond going in 1986 before the Eagles and bears joined
Well, four years AFTER they joined, Richmond were rattling tins at Punt Road. Save Our Skins.
We got ZERO help from the Bears, Eagles or VFL/AFL.
In fact, I believe Carlton gave us a hand with the legends game at Windy Hill.
We got ZERO help when GC & GWS entered, we were rock bottom and facing compromised drafts and we have clawed our way to the top on the back of hard work, great governance, a massive supporter base, astute drafting, trading and recruiting.
2017 and 2019 were earned not gifted.

Well, four years AFTER they joined, Richmond were rattling tins at Punt Road. Save Our Skins.
We got ZERO help from the Bears, Eagles or VFL/AFL.
In fact, I believe Carlton gave us a hand with the legends game at Windy Hill.
We got ZERO help when GC & GWS entered, we were rock bottom and facing compromised drafts and we have clawed our way to the top on the back of hard work, great governance, a massive supporter base, astute drafting, trading and recruiting.
2017 and 2019 were earned not gifted.
Expansion team supporters and most interstate supporters don't have much sympathy for the tin-rattling years.
You've had over 100 years to get it right, in our eyes.
It's well known that a national comp makes the Vic teams stronger. No one is talking about Vic teams folding since GC & GWS started.

Saying that, RFC has achieved great things by finally harnessing all that generational support and building a powerful team and club in a few years.
Fully deserve their success and respect.
Everything else is just noise.

Back