Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately for us * want Daniher tied to pick 9 as much as Swans want Daniher so we are screwed both ways.

Would love to see us and Swans broker a deal late on Wed where they release Papley for pick 9 and for go recruiting Daniher all together but that is highly unlikely to happen.
HS reporting bummers are asking about Heeney & Blakey in the Daniher trade ..
Didn't read the article cos it's paywalled..

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Given what we know about Papley and his reasons for returning to Victoria (aside from his partner, he also has a very sick family member down here) I would be truly staggered if the Swans don't trade him.

It will happen folks, even if Dodo and Essington are being pricks over the Daniher trade.

The Swans would lose all public credibility if they refuse to trade Papley on personal grounds, given the Joe Daniher scenario. I have no doubt at all that Tommy Boy is coming to IKON Park, even if took longer than we liked 👍👍👍
I think the swans will trade him, they are a professional club and well respected. As more and more players move within contract, being tagged like that in the industry is becoming more important, not only btw the clubs but also the players and their managers.

I’d hope that SOS has spoken to Sydney and we have come to the table, however he has also said something along the lines of “look we know you have to satisfy Essendon, we have until Wednesday, so if we need to swap picks around so you can get your deal done we can definitely look at it” while it slows down our “Papley is blue moment” we don’t know when we will have to deal with Sydney again, so build a positive relationship as one day it might be the other way around

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Unlikely is different to what you stated tonight

And we humble posters were going by your information "many irons in the fire"

Anyway, let's see what unfolds

I'm sure you'd accept that SOS and Agresta had a much broader focus a month ago, than they do now with 3 trading days left?

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately for us * want Daniher tied to pick 9 as much as Swans want Daniher so we are screwed both ways.

Would love to see us and Swans broker a deal late on Wed where they release Papley for pick 9 and for go recruiting Daniher all together but that is highly unlikely to happen.
Yep - it’s a sticky situation.

I’m interested to know if SoS has gone directly to Dodo and asked what we could add in the deal as a tie breaker. Philips? 2020 3rd rounder?

Essendon > 5, 25, 2020 3rd rounder & Philips
Sydney > Daniher, 9
Carlton > Papley

It’s a lot, but we replace Philips with Pittonet for cheap, get Papley. We’ll have to suck up losing the 3rd rounder though.

The sticking point is definitely 9/Sydney player.

Heard a few compare the Papley situation to Gibbs a few years ago.
Difference between Gibbs and Papley is Gibbs openly said he’ll stay and honour his contract if suitable recompense couldn’t be found for Carlton. Have not heard a peep from Papley aside from his manager saying we’re his preference.
He’ll be a Blue in 2020.
It's the more or less the same. The only difference is that Gibbs was on a heavily front ended contract so he was going to get paid little for the last few years of his contract.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm sure you'd accept that SOS and Agresta had a much broader focus a month ago, than they do now with 3 trading days left?

Again, these are opinions not fact, as the poster seemed adamant

But as we know, things change, especially over 5 weeks, yet it can still turn on its head in an hour

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
HS reporting bummers are asking about Heeney & Blakey in the Daniher trade ..
Didn't read the article cos it's paywalled..
Here ya go DD...hope it works

What I'm failing to understand is that Dodoro says "we're not trading him', then we read "we will trade him at the right price"....well, as reported by the HUN anyway...

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, these are opinions not fact, as the poster seemed adamant

But as we know, things change, especially over 5 weeks, yet it can still turn on its head in an hour

Regardless of specifics, every club would have more trade options a month out from trade week, than 3 days before the deadline.

If Papley (who by every account is our #1 target) falls through, I seriously doubt we see a player coming in for #9 on Wednesday.
I don't think bigblueboy has said anything contradictory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I think clubs are making a big mistake. If Daniher stays at Essendon, Papley stays at the Swans and Hill stays at Freo...

Let's just say it's not a good look and the AFLPA won't be pleased. Theyll be demanding free agency straight after the first contract.
I don't think so.
I for one am sick of players who still have years left on contracts expecting to be traded to their clubs of choice.
They are NOT free agents and should not expect their club to bend over backwards to get them to another club.
I hope more clubs take this stance. I would be pissed if Carlton let a good player go and didn't fight to keep them.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Here ya go DD...hope it works

What I'm failing to understand is that Dodoro says "we're not trading him', then we read "we will trade him at the right price"....well, as reported by the HUN anyway...
Dodo said in the AFL article hopefully he will fall back in love with the club. The reason why they are driving such a hard bargain is because there is no Joe in this year’s draft. That’s why his buying price is so high. Make of it what you will. Only one year to go on his contract. You’d be shitting yourself if he doesn’t change his mind in the next 12 months. Posturing is all it is but he is contracted.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Dodo said in the AFL article hopefully he will fall back in love with the club. The reason why they are driving such a hard bargain is because there is no Joe in this year’s draft. That’s why his buying price is so high. Make of it what you will. Only one year to go on his contract. You’d be shitting yourself if he doesn’t change his mind in the next 12 months. Posturing is all it is but he is contracted.

They're not going to look great if the hold him, he takes mental health leave, hardly plays in 2020, then walks as a Free Agent on a reduced contract and they end up with a 2nd rounder as compo.

ctwenty1

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think so.
I for one am sick of players who still have years left on contracts expecting to be traded to their clubs of choice.
They are NOT free agents and should not expect their club to bend over backwards to get them to another club.
I hope more clubs take this stance. I would be pi**ed if Carlton let a good player go and didn't fight to keep them.
No issue with players wanting to leave while contracted. It’s in the clubs’ interests to have their star players on longer term contracts to avoid FA compensation anyway, so this is the result.

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
They're not going to look great if the hold him, he takes mental health leave, hardly plays in 2020, then walks as a Free Agent on a reduced contract and they end up with a 2nd rounder as compo.

The risk Essendon holds is huge - Joe misses most of the season with injury and his value plummets, risk losing him for a compo pick the year after, he doesn’t play a game due to mental health, destabilises the locker room etc.

While dodo has every right to extract maximum value, if the result is they don’t trade him, it’s the wrong call imo.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think so.
I hope more clubs take this stance. I would be pi**ed if Carlton let a good player go and didn't fight to keep them.
What about Martin though? He’s 25. Out of contract. Why isn’t he a FA? He should be. He served his time up there. Rules are stupid.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Also a bit of an admission how poor they are in identifying and developing young talent....if Daniher leaves, that only leaves them with McKernan, Brown and Stewart as their tall options up forward....all recruited from other clubs, and all fairly ordinary.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The risk Essendon holds is huge - Joe misses most of the season with injury and his value plummets, risk losing him for a compo pick the year after, he doesn’t play a game due to mental health, destabilises the locker room etc.

While dodo has every right to extract maximum value, if the result is they don’t trade him, it’s the wrong call imo.
They’re very good at their meetings ESS way.
Fantasia dinner and stays
Shiel catch-up and he commits
When is the JD propaganda outing scheduled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back