Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trade junk picks with another club...

No need - there are as many rounds and selections in the draft as it takes for clubs to fill their lists (or to fill them as much as they choose to); we could theoretically trade every pick we hold today, and simply have (for example) the final three selections of the draft to satisfy the 'three live picks' requirement.

Dodo needs player(s) that will help them go further in the finals next year.

Losing a fit Daniher doesn't help with that.

Besides Daniher's an RFA next year so IF he kicks 60 goals and looks in AA form * can match any bids forcing a similar trade value from suitors next year anyway.

IF, he is injured next year...... that's a whole world of hurt for Mr Dodo.
They could have traded for that seagull Jenkins and had another look next year. Its just Dodo being himself

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we have to take 3 live picks in the draft as a minimum.

As it stands today, we have picks 9, 43, 48, 72, 85

With your scenario above, that would only leave us with picks 58 & 85.

That's because they only announce the first 5 rounds. The draft keeps going until everybody takes the minimum picks, or however many they want.

Makes sense to me (fwiw) - I never expected to see a first year player (between the arcs) perform like Walsh did for us this year- if Caldwell is a ready made AFL player - then he is already clearly better than a few of the developing (and expensive) kids we are carrying right now - and (like you) I reckon VFL is a graveyard for as long as Carlton doesn't run the whole thing - juggling part timers along with listed players and trying to get development AND game plan ingrained across 2 teams - without real control or decent investment is holding back Carlton.

Just wondering JAB, why you think it would be hard to get our game plan across in the VFL and what you mean, without real control?
By all reports we make all the decisions regarding the VFL setup.

Why do all these list managers bend over continuously with Hawthorn???

How is Steven's mooted at being a pick in the 50's (again Geelong strike again).

Daniher played it all wrong.. just should of played more of a mental health issue and Sydney might of got him for a future 3rd! Blimey!

Not that difficult in either of those, Hawks and Cats have all the leverage.

GWS can’t afford to keep Patton on his current deal, if they push too hard Hawthorn walk away and they’re stuck with him.

Steven will sit on Saints list doing F all and be highly paid if he stays and the Cats know it.

Well there are two honest assessments you could look for - the most important being what the Club actually does or tries to do with list management via trade and draft - and secondly what posters post.

The Club is using draft picks to trade players in .

#1 Target this year was Coniglio - and this target ended up being (another) miss. That means our #1 priority was NOT achieved.
#2 we know that Papley and Martin are (now) two targeted players - one contracted and the other out of contract - neither RFA or FA in status so the Club was prepared to go through some pain in order to secure their services...

1. What does the CLub's actual activity suggest it considers to be the # most important 'gap' to fill in the list; and
2. What does targeting Martin and papley say about what the CLub really thinks about its current stock of developing players?

This is the way I frame my thinking - by referencing what and who the Club was actually targeting and what that says about what the Club thinks about the current status of the list.

To me actions (from the Club) suggest that SOS and Teague believe that a developed A grade midfielder was the TOP priority and second priority was other types - including a proven small forward(s). So we end up with chasing Papley for that - Martin? well he seems to be a developed player that we all want to see SPS/Fisher/Cuningham/LoB types become - one day, hopefully.....

As for Wines discussion - all I say is that COniglio was #1 priority and Wines is a closer fit for needs to between the arcs players than - Martin OR Papley - I suspect though that Wines and his management team came in too late to discussions.

I think you've made a few assumptions here, that don't necessarily hold.

I think Cogs' status as (assumed) #1 target is much more due to being 1) an absolute gun 2) Free 3) a good fit by type (of mid), rather than us having our #1 target as a (any) mature mid.

I think it's very likely that were Cogs not a Free Agent, then Papley would be #1 target. And Wines, although a mid, is a very different type to Cogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do all these list managers bend over continuously with Hawthorn???

How is Steven's mooted at being a pick in the 50's (again Geelong strike again).

Daniher played it all wrong.. just should of played more of a mental health issue and Sydney might of got him for a future 3rd! Blimey!

Scully and Patton are definitely buyer beware. They could play 100 games, or they just as easily play a dozen, and be one injury away from retirement.
Coupled with their hefty salaries, it's a 'no-brainer' they get traded for low draft picks.

There are no Hawthorn Jedi mind tricks at play here.

Honestly if that North Melbourne Pick Swap with Melbourne happens WOW.

North Melbourne are a basket case to me, don't know if they are coming or going doomed to be middle of the table forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back