Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Selwood and Tim Kelly

Kelly described his trade as a "win win" for both clubs and was grateful to the Cats for giving him an opportunity after being overlooked in five national drafts.

"I got off the phone to Joel Selwood this morning just before the deal got officially done, and we just wished each other all the best," Kelly said.

"We're going to miss playing with each other and look forward to the battles."

Ok champ.

You defended a bloke by his playing record .

And bashing a guy unconscious is not ok. Even if the guy wasn’t welcome.

And by the way. I’ve never defended Murphy. He’s a grub too. But to defend Scarlett is interesting

In what way? You've brought this incident up. As far as I'm concerned it's a bit of a nothing event, something that would happen regularly in these sort of settings. I certainly don't view it as dimly as Scarlett's punch on Ballantyne, which arguably cost us a top four finish in 2012. Without knowing the precise details, it seems you're having a go at Scarlett for winning a fistfight.

For his faults, that sort of incident is what galvanises a playing group. He's not perfect, but similar to his public ultimatum when Daryn Cresswell was on Geelong's radar during the 2006 review, it appears as though Scarlett is a pretty good judge of character and without him setting the standard through scenarios like this, I think it's debatable whether Geelong would have reached its potential in the late 2000s.

In what way? You've brought this incident up. As far as I'm concerned it's a bit of a nothing event, something that would happen regularly in these sort of settings. I certainly don't view it as dimly as Scarlett's punch on Ballantyne, which arguably cost us a top four finish in 2012. Without knowing the precise details, it seems you're having a go at Scarlett for winning a fistfight.

For his faults, that sort of incident is what galvanises a playing group. He's not perfect, but similar to his public ultimatum when Daryn Cresswell was on Geelong's radar during the 2006 review, it appears as though Scarlett is a pretty good judge of character and without him setting the standard through scenarios like this, I think it's debatable whether Geelong would have reached its potential in the late 2000s.

Off on a massive tangent, but I clearly remember when Cresswell was looked upon as critical to our midfield development. Very ironic a few years later.

:oops:

You're suggesting knocking a bloke out is partly responsible for helping the Cats become one of the best teams ever? Bomber Thompson and the board who conducted the wide ranging review in 2006 might have something to say about that.

Would suggest that six All Australians and three premierships probably shows his class a bit more.

Scarlett's an abrasive personality, everyone knows that. But how did he "carry on" about Maxwell? It wasn't like he was holding press conferences or hijacking interviews: he put a bit of context through his biography to some of his actions during the 2011 grand final and why he and others felt there was a score to settle with Maxwell in particular. Who's buying the book? Geelong supporters. What do they want? Well from Scarlett, some clarity and his perspective on incidents like this and considering his pull no punches personality, some appraisals of his former teammates and opponents would be good too. Who he rated, who he didn't.

Then people in the media buy the book, look for anything which could be considered slightly juicy, contact the other party and his current and past teammates for a comment and perhaps milk another story or two out of it.

I can't remember Scarlett saying anything besides what's in the book about Maxwell or their interactions in the 2010-11 finals since then. I haven't read the book in a long time, but I remember being a bit disappointed really. It wasn't particularly interesting.
Wayne Carey won 2 flags and 7 AAs - he a classy bloke to you too?

:oops:

You're suggesting knocking a bloke out is partly responsible for helping the Cats become one of the best teams ever? Bomber Thompson and the board who conducted the wide ranging review in 2006 might have something to say about that.

Despite Murphy's obvious displeasure at the Milburn/Silvagni incident being understandable, doing what he did immediately made his position as a player at the Geelong Football Club untenable.

You can imagine the setting: 40 Geelong players ignoring Murphy or saying under their breaths to each other "What's that **** doing here?" For better or worse, that's not how Scarlett is wired. He had a confrontation and set an example: you're either all in for the club or you can piss off. I'm not advocating violence but things like that were probably required after the worst Geelong season in my lifetime.

It's funny you mention the review. During that time Daryn Cresswell was getting some buzz as perhaps the next Geelong coach. Scarlett (probably understanding his position as Geelong's only A-grader at the time) came out publicly (he rang Mike Sheahan from memory) and said that Thompson should stay and that if Cresswell got the job, he would walk. Now, maybe that had no bearing on the outcome of the review, but maybe it did.

Off the top of my head, he's also pretty publicly gone in to bat for Bartel (when Robert Harvey was sledging him about his father in the 2008 qualifying final; Scarlett came off as the bad guy because how dare anyone have a go at Harvey... Scarlett DGAF about copping it in the media: he cared about sticking up for his teammate), Mackie when he'd been dropped to the VFL in 2010 and was crucial to recruiting Stewart. His contribution to the club has been as high as anyone over the past 20 years and he continues to provide value.

I'm as against physical violence as anyone but if someone is being asked to leave repeatedly and not leaving then there's only so many options available to you. You either have to tolerate them staying despite your wishes or you have to remove them from the venue, or if you really want to you can call the police which seems like it would be an over reaction. Sounds like he was removed and then the two got in a fight and Murphy lost. Hardly sounds like a hanging offence for Scarlett. It's not like he king hit him, used a weapon, jumped him with 5 mates, or continued to kick him after he was unconscious.

I'm as against physical violence as anyone but if someone is being asked to leave repeatedly and not leaving then there's only so many options available to you. You either have to tolerate them staying despite your wishes or you have to remove them from the venue, or if you really want to you can call the police which seems like it would be an over reaction. Sounds like he was removed and then the two got in a fight and Murphy lost. Hardly sounds like a hanging offence for Scarlett. It's not like he king hit him, used a weapon, jumped him with 5 mates, or continued to kick him after he was unconscious.
I'm not even sure he was unconscious? I thought he just copped a touch up and fled

I’d say smashing the back out of your best mate’s misses is a little worse than thumping someone who probably earned a bit of a seeing to
In what world is it okay to belt someone? You’re making it sound like Murphy touches little kids or something...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say smashing the back out of your best mate’s misses is a little worse than thumping someone who probably earned a bit of a seeing to
What about smashing a wine glass in your gf's face and kicking a police officer? Or grabbing a woman's breast and telling her to get a bigger set?

It unfortunately doesn't surprise me that a consensual act of infidelity is seen as the *worst* thing Carey did. It's very, very bad - but that's worse.

If you remove the small risk of permanent damage ie death, which action is going to have bigger ramifications on the people involved?
Lol. You could make this argument about anything. There’s also a small risk of death from drunk driving depending on how many you’ve had but if you make it home, who cares right?

Eye opening responses in this thread, amazing what being good at football does to excuse you from being a shithouse human being.

What about smashing a wine glass in your gf's face and kicking a police officer? Or grabbing a woman's breast and telling her to get a bigger set?

It unfortunately doesn't surprise me that a consensual act of infidelity is seen as the *worst* thing Carey did. It's very, very bad - but that's worse.

True, I’d not ignored that, I’d just forgotten about it

Lol. You could make this argument about anything. There’s also a small risk of death from drunk driving depending on how many you’ve had but if you make it home, who cares right?

Eye opening responses in this thread, amazing what being good at football does to excuse you from being a shithouse human being.

So everyone that’s ever been in a fight is a worse human than Carey who wrecked two families with one action?

So everyone that’s ever been in a fight is a worse human than Carey who wrecked two families with one action?
No. I'm talking about the justification of s**t actions simply for the fact they can play footy. Carey included who is still in the Hall of Fame and has a high profile job on channel 7. Not sure where you've got that conclusion from.

Wayne Carey is a much, much shitter bloke than Matthew Scarlett for those who seem to think glassing your girlfriend is the same as getting into a fight with another bloke

No. I'm talking about the justification of s**t actions simply for the fact they can play footy. Carey included who is still in the Hall of Fame and has a high profile job on channel 7. Not sure where you've got that conclusion from.

I don’t justify that. I hate violence and think it should always be a last resort. But if I have to judge the character of two men based on two actions I’d pick the one who ‘took it outside’ with someone behaving stupidly over the guy who did what Carey has done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back