Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, it's pretty bad statistically, considering there is a 1/9 chance every year.

So over 4 years, that's a 4/9 chance.

What other team comes close to this, particularly the VFL based sides?

Because all supporters of other teams despise them and that gives the Collingwood supporters relevance. "Against all the odds and hate i will still support my team". Sad really.

Because all supporters of other teams despise them and that gives the Collingwood supporters relevance. "Against all the odds and hate i will still support my team". Sad really.

Sad? How so? You're right though opp supporters have a grudge against Collingwood, that's on top of the unwarranted reverence.

I could ask why opp supporters hate the Pies, it's not like the Pies steal flags off other teams - we hand them to them. If anything your mob should be in love with us at the same time gloating in our faces because you're better. Every non Pie fan I know was praying like it was the last day of their lives that wc would get up. So much so was the hate, why do all opp fans wish Collingwood to be bereft of success?

How is that? Could you hate Richmond or Hawthorn or Geelong? Ah yeah! but noooo everyone is against the Pies even more so than those three. This is some sort of weird phenomenon.

Sad? How so? You're right though opp supporters have a grudge against Collingwood, that's on top of the unwarranted reverence.

I could ask why opp supporters hate the Pies, it's not like the Pies steal flags off other teams - we hand them to them. If anything your mob should be in love with us at the same time gloating in our faces because you're better. Every non Pie fan I know was praying like it was the last day of their lives that wc would get up. So much so was the hate, why do all opp fans wish Collingwood to be bereft of success?

How is that? Could you hate Richmond or Hawthorn or Geelong? Ah yeah! but noooo everyone is against the Pies even more so than those three. This is some sort of weird phenomenon.
Love it, you’ve put into words exactly what I think.

Last edited:

Same as what you said earlier that Collingwoods support is handed from generation to generation. Brainwashed really , so why would it be any different for the dislike that Collingwood receive from generation to generation. Just the way it is really. Anyway, somebody's got to be THAT team.

Pies strike me as a very traditional fan base similar to English soccer teams, and nothing wrong with that deeply entrenched loyalty. I don't hate them, it's just football. But it's irrational to be loyal to a brand name, and to buy their merchandise continually, to wave flags and sing songs and all that corporate stuff they get you to do, brainwash you really...it's irrational to think your footy team is different and better than all the other teams, that there's something special about your team, when everybody else thinks the same thing about their team...yet here I am sucked in and loyal to the Eagles, even if i won't buy the merchandise. I don't hate the Pies, even if they have people like Fast Eddy pulling strings, even if there is a whiff of Vic-centric bias and rigging to keep the 'national' game of AFL firmly bolted down in Melbourne. I don't hate the Pies, they're always cracking games, a great rivalry. I have a grudging respect for the Pies, we've been through the emotional spin cycle together a good few times.
But I loathe the Tigers and all their home games at the MCG, and that debacle of a Grand Final or equalisation or whatever levers are pulled.
Look forward to playing them in 2020...anywhere.

Pies strike me as a very traditional fan base similar to English soccer teams, and nothing wrong with that deeply entrenched loyalty. I don't hate them, it's just football. But it's irrational to be loyal to a brand name, and to buy their merchandise continually, to wave flags and sing songs and all that corporate stuff they get you to do, brainwash you really...it's irrational to think your footy team is different and better than all the other teams, that there's something special about your team, when everybody else thinks the same thing about their team...yet here I am sucked in and loyal to the Eagles, even if i won't buy the merchandise. I don't hate the Pies, even if they have people like Fast Eddy pulling strings, even if there is a whiff of Vic-centric bias and rigging to keep the 'national' game of AFL firmly bolted down in Melbourne. I don't hate the Pies, they're always cracking games, a great rivalry. I have a grudging respect for the Pies, we've been through the emotional spin cycle together a good few times.
But I loathe the Tigers and all their home games at the MCG, and that debacle of a Grand Final or equalisation or whatever levers are pulled.

Hey Astro, thanks for your comment.

I live in Perth and I can tell you that the Pies are on top of the hate list- up there with the swans. I work on a mine site and literally everyone apart from the few Pie fans hate Collingwood with a passion - even the one or two blose, tigs or bomb out fans will join up just to pile on the Pies.

I'm tipping you're in the minority of hating the Pies.

I live in Perth and I can tell you that the Pies are on top of the hate list- up there with the swans. I work on a mine site and literally everyone apart from the few Pie fans hate Collingwood with a passion - even the one or two blose, tigs or bomb out fans will join up just to pile on the Pies.

In SA if you aren’t a Crow supporter then the crows are top of the list. I’d say Richmond hate Carlton the most probably due to since our move to the G the only team to beat us in a Granny has been Carlton but its probably more a when you were born thing. Hating Collingwood is a bit of a tradition maybe from the memories of the Victoria Park experience. On my list it’s Carlton, Essendon West Coast Hawthorn. Collingwood as a club has never bothered me. Collingwood supporters definitely have a weirdness to them but wait to Carlton get going again and then you will see true madness

Last edited:
Collingwood supporters definitely have a weirdness to them

How so? What's so "weird" about Collingwood supporters?

I call BS, Pie fans are no "weirder" than anyone else.

Maybe yourself does not have the Pies on top of the hate list but my money says the Pies are top of everyone's sarcastic jokes list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so? What's so "weird" about Collingwood supporters?

I call BS, Pie fans are no "weirder" than anyone else.

Maybe yourself does not have the Pies on top of the hate list but my money says the Pies are top of everyone's sarcastic jokes list.

It's the extremes, from Joffa to Eddie.

Sure, if you average them out, it might seem normal.

Loathe the tiges and their 14 G games. But Pies having 14 G games goes unnoticed :)

No probs, used to hate them back in the Malthouse/Woosha days, but like I said have developed a grudging respect due to all the amazing closely fought games we've had.
Maybe there's a similarity with Eagles, we loathe the Dons and Tiggers, ok and many loathe the pies here in WA, maybe as much as many loathe the Eagles. We've embraced the insults and hold them up proudly in the opps faces eg- we embrace the arrogance and the flat track bulies and the chardonnay sipping etc
Loathe the tiges and their 14 G games. But Pies having 14 G games goes unnoticed :)
Yes, was trying to recall how many G games the Pies have?
Oh well just goes to show how stacked it is, and gives us 'outsiders' something to blame, and helps fire us up to overcome those 'impossible odds' :rolleyes: ..and at the end of the cliched day, I guess you gotta have someone to loathe???? :D ...or footy just wouldn't be as much fun.

No probs, used to hate them back in the Malthouse/Woosha days, but like I said have developed a grudging respect due to all the amazing closely fought games we've had.
Maybe there's a similarity with Eagles, we loathe the Dons and Tiggers, ok and many loathe the pies here in WA, maybe as much as many loathe the Eagles. We've embraced the insults and hold them up proudly in the opps faces eg- we embrace the arrogance and the flat track bulies and the chardonnay sipping etc

The eagles are loathed because of their success, that's why Freo fans mudsling the chardonnay card, the Pies are loathed because Pies. Very difficult to dispute that.

WC fans label Freo fans as bogans but it doesn't go as much as Freo fans mud sling the other way. You can't loathe Freo for being successful either and my bet is the Pies are more loathed than Freo here because Pies.

Ok you begrudgingly respect the Pies as an opponent, but you can't begrudgingly respect them for their success because they haven't had any (or barely).

The eagles are loathed because of their success, that's why Freo fans mudsling the chardonnay card, the Pies are loathed because Pies. Very difficult to dispute that.

WC fans label Freo fans as bogans but it doesn't go as much as Freo fans mud sling the other way. You can't loathe Freo for being successful either and my bet is the Pies are more loathed than Freo here because Pies.

Ok you begrudgingly respect the Pies as an opponent, but you can't begrudgingly respect them for their success because they haven't had any (or barely).

I respect the Pies. One one hand because the West Coast v Pies rivalry goes way back to 1990. It isn't the most obvious rivalry, but over many decades they have had some very high quality encounters. We have won the last couple of big ones, but lost a fair few along the way as well.

I also respect the Pies for their consistency. 6 Grand Finals in the AFL era puts them on par in that regard with Hawthorn and Sydney and only one behind West Coast and Geelong.

They haven't won as many flags as they would have liked, and there have been a few that have been the ones that got away, but they are usually around the mark more often than not and their level of consistency deserves to be commended.

I respect the Pies. One one hand because the West Coast v Pies rivalry goes way back to 1990. It isn't the most obvious rivalry, but over many decades they have had some very high quality encounters. We have won the last couple of big ones, but lost a fair few along the way as well.

I also respect the Pies for their consistency. 6 Grand Finals in the AFL era puts them on par in that regard with Hawthorn and Sydney and only one behind West Coast and Geelong.

They haven't won as many flags as they would have liked, and there have been a few that have been the ones that got away, but they are usually around the mark more often than not and their level of consistency deserves to be commended.

Ok they're usually contending but never succeeding, just merely contending doesn't validate the reverence IMV.

Hawthorn, wc, cats are revered because of their success - if they didn't have that success they wouldn't be profiled as highly as what the Pies are now.

Ok they're usually contending but never succeeding, just merely contending doesn't validate the reverence IMV.

Hawthorn, wc, cats are revered because of their success - if they didn't have that success they wouldn't be profiled as highly as what the Pies are now.

Yes, West Coast, Hawthorn and lesser extent Geelong ;) have won the most. Collingwood and Sydney are on the second line along with Brisbane, Adelaide and North Melbourne, and recently Richmond.

I would put Collingwood & Sydney as being 4th or 5th (hard to think who should get the chocolates in this case).

But you are right, the Pies punch above their weight in terms of influence and power. Alot of that has already been discussed in this thread, the Eddie factor, the long history of support going back to the 20's, the us vs them dynamic that seems to rust on Pies supporters.

I just think that this thread has become a bit of a waste of time. Collingwood are a great club, who have enjoyed sustained success in the AFL era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back