Sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. I only have one cup of coffee a day for breakfast so it's not caffeine. It may possibly be because I don't finish CrossFit training til 6:30 so it could possibly be that. I should try working out in the morning and see if it makes a difference. I'm also doing my PhD atm so lay awake thinking about different ideas for that. Not sure what to do about that one.
Yep. Balance your workout. Some days do it in the morning, some at night. Working out in the evening can raise cortisol/stress levels. in turn revving up the central nervous system making it harder to wind down and sleep etc. There are other factors that come into play and it's an in depth discussion but it can certainly make a difference. That combined with what you said about the PHD, the mind can wonder.

Like caffeine, there's a fine line between genius and insanity when you're a driven individual which you certainly are. Manage stress levels, look into that, and make sure you do a mixture of relaxing things and wind down earlier some days/nights.

smart phones/laptops, comps etc switch off from those a good few hours before bed. They make a difference too.

I seem to be getting into habit of 5 hour sleep cycles.
Keep thinking I should get 3 more but maybe I do not if wake up after 5 regularly.
elaborate.

You're sleeping 5 hours all up and you want 3 more, or you sleep in 5 hour increments?

5 hour increments seems to be the main cycle of sleep I have. Meaning like last night I went to sleep about 12-30 am and awoke with no alarm around 5-30 am.

Was up for a little bit but ended up getting myself back to sleep for another 3 hours but sometimes I wonder if so often I find I awake with only 5 hour sleeps, maybe I do not need to be trying to fit more sleep in later on. But I've never tried surviving a full week with only 5 hours sleep each day. There is usually one day in week where I might force myself to stay in bed and sleep 10 to 12 hours but I probably wake up 4 or 5 times between all those hours.

I guess what I mean in end, If I only had 35 hours sleep over a week, is it enough to still function properly at work etc. ?
You can but wouldn't function at 100 percent capacity/potential very quickly. You would deteriorate fast.

You're lucky you;re getting the amount of sleep that you do and are able to fall back to sleep. It makes a huge difference, many would love to sleep like you.

call da cops.

Went to bed early and slept a good 4.5 hours but been awake the last hour and a half. Know enough to know I'm not going to lie in bed awake like a ******* star fish. A little hungry too so I've had some light food, to do with the exercise in the arvo. Also the extra coffee I had, albeit consumed at 11 am also contributing to me being awake.

* it. When you're not going to sleep, do something. Don't think. Don't say. DOOOOO!!!!!!!

( and if all else fails, call da cops )

copped it bad this morning. Hence, call da cops:)

Rask the arvo session got me. Did a double up today as I'm helping the missus get ready for an event. We did a run and some lifting, followed by some swimming and bike. Already did a morning run as well. The calorie deficit combined with the late, strenuous workout got me. Interrupted sleep although I still had about 6 hours all up. A 2.30 am start to the day isn't ideal though.

Tough t***ies. 6 odd hours after that training, could have been worse. Got to power through it and I'll make up the sleep tonight!

bad sleeper here. Takes me ages to fall asleep unless im super tired. Talking at least an hour most nights. My problem is I get so many thoughts arising when I shut my eyes. Think I would probably benefit from a new mattress and less caffeine in the evening.
Might try Valerian Forte as another poster mentioned here earlier. Benzo's work like magic everytime but the dependence is too scary for me to take them on a regular basis.

bad sleeper here. Takes me ages to fall asleep unless im super tired. Talking at least an hour most nights. My problem is I get so many thoughts arising when I shut my eyes. Think I would probably benefit from a new mattress and less caffeine in the evening.
Might try Valerian Forte as another poster mentioned here earlier. Benzo's work like magic everytime but the dependence is too scary for me to take them on a regular basis.
Ironic you like my post and make one of your own here when I woke up at 2.30 am this morning. I still got about 6 hours sleep however, so it could be worse.

Dude caffiene in the evening is a killer by itself and will ruin most people's sleep. Being a stimulant it can make the mind race anyway as it elevates the central nervous system and speeds up everything mentally and physically. If you're stressed already, multiply that x 10 with caffeine, then combine the difficulty sleeping which will raise the cortisol levels further ( stress hormone your body naturally produces ) you're headed for a recipe of disaster.

Sleep has a lot to do with chemicals in the body and brain, serotonin ( the natural feel good chemical your body produces ) gets affected by how much or how little sleep you have. Coffee can be a killer and make one feel crazy. It's a massive part of society and culture these days but people get affected by it in different ways and some are way more sensitive than others.

Research this my man. Cut out coffee after 12 or even 10 am and you will feel and see an amazing difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sleep is good these days. How are you campaigners going?

Throughout last term my sleep was annoying. Go to bed 10/11pm, would wake up bang on either 3.30am or 4.30am and that would be it- would not fall back asleep, then up at 6.30am and go to work.

Surprise, surprise, now being on holidays I do not have that problem anymore. :rolleyes:

Throughout last term my sleep was annoying. Go to bed 10/11pm, would wake up bang on either 3.30am or 4.30am and that would be it- would not fall back asleep, then up at 6.30am and go to work.

Surprise, surprise, now being on holidays I do not have that problem anymore. :rolleyes:
Yeah I hear ya Shell. The stresses and demands of work obviously play a factor. Could you wind down earlier so that you go to bed sooner?

Yeah I hear ya Shell. The stresses and demands of work obviously play a factor. Could you wind down earlier so that you go to bed sooner?

But thats the thing- im not at all stressed or have demands (not ones i cant handle anyway) at work, i like my job (in general). Its just something that starts and gets in my head and i cant fking stop it. And when i mean "bang" on 3.30am/4.30am i mean bang on. Not 3.31, not 3.32, its 3.30 i wake up. Is quite a gift i think :D

But thats the thing- im not at all stressed or have demands (not ones i cant handle anyway) at work, i like my job (in general). Its just something that starts and gets in my head and i cant fking stop it. And when i mean "bang" on 3.30am/4.30am i mean bang on. Not 3.31, not 3.32, its 3.30 i wake up. Is quite a gift i think :D
I get it.

How do you find sleeping less hours? Affected by it or you're pretty ok with it?

Yeah when on LSL (a total of 14 weeks) i totally ****ed up my sleep within the first month. Was staying up until 3am+, sleeping until noon.

At about that 4 week mark, i thought enough was enough- and set my alarm one Monday for 6.30am, which I continued every M-F for the rest of the leave period.

Is lovely waking up early, but not actually getting up until 8/9am, having a coffee whenever you want, etc.

9 hours sleep overnight.

Thank you God. Merry Christmas to me, and to everyone!

I put this on when I can't sleep

That just does not soothe me.

I think the gut health theory will prove to be a key determinant for many insomniacs.
What time last food intake?
What actual food?
The old adage about early and big breakfast, medium lunch, and sparing evening meal makes sense, but I don't have the self-control to adhere to it.
Reflux and the feeling you're still digesting your evening meal is what gets me.
'Finishing work at or after 930 pm most nights is the culprit.
I know the solutions, but have yet to be disciplined enough to rectify.
Late night Big Footy is a definite no-no.

Overall, a life-long poor sleeper, yet I seem to function well enough on a daily basis with some high stress work, and never have coffee or alcohol.

A Brilliant sleep after some interruptions. A great start to the day with a beautiful cup of coffee to finish off what was a great year.

Thank you God.

Due to a medical condition that causes me to go to the toilet at night, I reckon I've woken once or twice per night for the last 7 years at least. Not sure what long term damage this will do, but I'm pretty tired most of the time, as it often takes me some time to fall back asleep and it breaks my cycle.

I also absolutely don't help myself because I will often check my phone or go and get some food/drink in the middle of the night when I wake too.

I have found the biggest determinant of how I fell on the day though is how you wake, if it's of your bodies on accord, you are fine. If it's in the middle of a cycle and suddenly roused by a buzzing alarm that startles you, and I'm tired for hours in the morning and don't feel fresh. I genuinely believe alarm clocks are not healthy at all for us, but unfortunately with most people's employment hours they are a necessary evil.

Picked up a weighted blanket which arrived just after Christmas. Using my sample size thus far of three nights it's made a huge difference to my quality of sleep. For the couple of weeks prior I'd be waking up several times a night and active sleeping (i.e. wandering around or carrying out activities while asleep) which affected my sleep quality. Last night I only woke up once or twice, minimal active sleeping activities and actually felt refreshed. Highly recommended for anyone else with similar issues!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back