Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck, no one can beat us at our best.

Geelong were our bogey team as well for a million years but when it came to the crunch......... Richmond 2 Geelong 0.

Being able to defeat a team in home and away games means jack s**t if you can't beat them in finals. Doggies don't scare me but if they want to continue being our bogey team in home and away games like Geelong were then go ahead.
Whilst what you say about our last two finals is obviously correct, it was abit hard to beat you in finals over the preceding 30 odd years ( bar 1995 ) considering we were there more often than not & the Tigers weren’t.....On the actual OP, a possession game clearly seems to be the most effective, the Rd 2 game vs the Pies & the first half of the Prelim showed that, it is just hard to keep it going for 4 quarter’s.

Last edited:
Richmond proved last year it’s best football is the best in the competition.

Very balanced team with star power and an efficient and effective system.

Like any premier, I’d imagine opposition coaches will be carefully analysing their game to plot out how to defeat it.

Is there a type of game that can take it up to the Tigers in 2020?
West coast

On the actual OP, a possession game clearly seems to be the most effective, the Rd 2 game vs the Pies & the first half of the Prelim showed that, it is just hard to keep it going for 4 quarter’s.

Another interesting thing about that Collingwood game relates to the legendary Richmond-Adelaide 'Basketball Crap' game of 2006. Richmond were playing the side that finished the season on top in 2005, and would go on to finish 2nd in 2006 (Neil Craig's Crowbots) - and adopted a high-possession uncontested game style that received universal condemnation. At the time, Richmond were pretty useless and had lost their last game by 100+ points. They took the highest ever number of marks in a game that day (nearly all uncontested).
On the exact same day that Richmond set the record for the most marks in a game, Collingwood took the 2nd-highest number of marks in a game against Geelong - 4 less than Richmond and again, nearly all uncontested. They won by 102 points, and not a word was spoken about 'basketball crap'.

Fast forward to 2019. Collingwood (who had finished 2nd the previous year and knocked Richmond out of the finals) adopted a high-possession uncontested game style. They took the 5th-highest number of marks in a game (just 7 less than the 2006 record and the highest number since 2011) - nearly all uncontested.
Collingwood were praised to the rafters. I guess people woke up to the fact that the most important thing about a gameplan is whether it works or not.

The Geelong PF was interesting because Geelong took their time with patient ball use, partly because Hawkins suspension meant didn’t have forwards to employ direct attack to the forward line.

Inevitably though that style is almost impossible to keep going as tiger pressure will mean that keepings off style will come unstuck

Hawks famously employ that game plan. How have they gone v Richmond since 2017?
Not quite. We employed that game plan during the Premiership years as we had a team capable of pulling it off. Guys like Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson, peak Roughie, peak Birch were all truly elite kicks. Their replacements aren't quite at the same level so that game plan is basically useless to us. You could see it particularly early this year, more throwing it onto the boot, bombing it into the forward line, more rushed kicking. We don't have that exact same game plan still.

Whilst what you say about our last two finals is obviously correct, it was abit hard to beat you in finals over the preceding 30 odd years ( bar 1995 ) considering we were there more often than not & the Tigers weren’t.....On the actual OP, a possession game clearly seems to be the most effective, the Rd 2 game vs the Pies & the first half of the Prelim showed that, it is just hard to keep it going for 4 quarter’s.
One game when we a stuctual mess in R2 should be taken with a grain of salt because it didn't work later in the year did it when teams tried it.

A game here and a game there is not evidence of being able to plant the blueprint to bring down a team, everyone loses.

I encourage teams to try and stop us because that means they are going away from what serves them best and they are 95% on the way to defeat.

Bulldogs v Tigers during Bevo era.

2015. Dogs jump tigers for narrow win

2016. Dogs run over the top of tigers for narrow win

2017. Dogs narrowly beat unlucky tigers

2018. Tigers hold off dogs for narrow win (dead rubber but Bevo demonstrated a style of play tochallenge the tiges)

2019. Bulldogs dominate (depleted) tigers for big win

With the correct attitude
Bulldogs have the list and the coaching chops to remain the tigers bogey team!

They do indeed, what gives me hope is that hopefully the tide turns in our favor and we can start playing you at the G more then at shitihad. As to the topic of this thread, most teams can beat us and have shown it in the past 3 years. The reason for our success is no secret, across every line, there is not one player that does not know where to run, where to be to transition from offence to defense etc. For a team to beat us, they have to focus on every player all the time, that is why the cats for example did so well in the first half, they won contest after contest and that allowed them to score.

The trick is for a side to continue to win those one on ones ALL the time all game, and most sides cant do it as its bloody exhausting, that is why we tend to run over sides. Scott said it best in his presser after the PF game, sides NEED to be 5 goals or so up on us before they tire, if they dont, normally we will just go bang, bang, bang.

It's a credit to our recruiting staff that they have gone for players that have quality traits to fit our style even though those outside consider the player s**t in overall talent level. A perfect example is Castagna, he would be s**t i have no doubt in another side but our forward players and mids focus on his strength, which allows him to create chaos which in turn feeds into our overall system.

A team like the dogs challenge us because they are and have built talent across most of there lines that often win 1-1's against us, hence there record against us in our period of success is fantastic.

Baaa haaa haaa. LoL.

If it wasnt for the big interstate clubs propping up the bankrupt VFL you would be be an irrelevant country level comp of maybe 5 or 6 teams.

How old are you?
Bzzzzt wrong, there was only 2 or 3 VFL clubs in a bad state financially where the WAFL had 4 clubs go insolvent and many a clubs ground basically condemnable.

The WAFL and to a smaller extent the SANFL were throwing the toys out of the cot because their best players were defecting to VFL clubs, if the VFL was such a basket case why would players travel to the other side of the country for an uncertain future? .

The reality is that the fine print for the introduction of the Eagles was the fee paid would then be returned to the WAFL for reinjecting the league/ground upgrades and developing local bush league grade z clubs and players, oh and for them to turn a blind eye if and/or when players decided to travel East, no use introducing an interstate club if their main source of talent is a decrepit poorly run backwards shambles of a State League

With Chris Scott coaching coupled with the fact TK is now contracted on good money with 3 autistic children to look after. There's absolutely no chance Richmond will face serious competition in 2020. Tigers to minor premier and win premiership against some rubbish team like Hawthorn who will have a miracle year all the way to the big stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Chris Scott coaching coupled with the fact TK is now contracted on good money with 3 autistic children to look after. There's absolutely no chance Richmond will face serious competition in 2020. Tigers to minor premier and win premiership against some rubbish team like Hawthorn who will have a miracle year all the way to the big stage

Yeah nah

Lions, Eagles, Dogs will go beserk.

The Tiger Train are a frenetic force that this season showed they can rise above any challenge. If anything the Rance Scandal would make them rise even further as a whole. They're a group, a cohesive unit, and they stand tall in the face of adversity. That's one side to the coin.

The other is this bullshit can prove to be a cancer too fierce and unsettling even for Richmond and gives West Coast the upper hand in 2020. What Rance did is a disgrace. An absolute disgrace. Richmond have been as impressive and classy a force as I've seen during my time following football and this dog act goes beyond the game. I thought Rance was '' good bloke '' but this has dampened a great time in the club and put some unwanted heavy energy around them.

Disappointing.

If the best opponent the league could offer up was GWS then you’re all in trouble again next season.

The Tiger Train are a frenetic force that this season showed they can rise above any challenge. If anything the Rance Scandal would make them rise even further as a whole. They're a group, a cohesive unit, and they stand tall in the face of adversity. That's one side to the coin.

The other is this bullshit can prove to be a cancer too fierce and unsettling even for Richmond and gives West Coast the upper hand in 2020. What Rance did is a disgrace. An absolute disgrace. Richmond have been as impressive and classy a force as I've seen during my time following football and this dog act goes beyond the game. I thought Rance was '' good bloke '' but this has dampened a great time in the club and put some unwanted heavy energy around them.

Disappointing.
Hang on what did Rance do?

The other thing the Tigers do is not push their mids into defence as much as other teams .

the Hawks for example are happy to slow down ball movement through the midfield even corral players through the midfield as long as it allows us to get our players back and then defend inside 50 with 18 players back. This works great to stop scoring if you can do it but you struggle to score from turnovers as you have all your players back.

The Tigers attack you at the ball in the midfield while having extras back either turning it over or forcing u to kick to the outnumber. They then keep the mids high and use them to match up your number in defence as they run it out with defensive extra numbers.

So like I said earlier if you man up their extras in defence and go long and quick you could trouble them but the question is can you have a gameplan for one team and not necessarily use it against everyone else ?

Disappointing.
what did rance do and is there any proof besides rumours from jealous non richmond supporters ?

Shattered for the Tigers

Please Murray Rance , say it isn’t so

Oh so now we are going to resort to gutter rumor ? You think Cat supporters would know more then anyone how pathetic that is considering Garry Ablett Snr. I would not be throwing stones mate, as Rance rumor, is just that, rumor where as dear old G Ablett has some nasty tales to be told

Without giving too much away:

Collingwood: 467 Disposals def Richmond: 303 Disposals
GWS Giants: 425 Disposals def Richmond: 366 Disposals
Bulldogs: 440 Disposals def Richmond: 328 Disposals
North Melb: 356 Disposals def Richmond: 326 Disposals
Geelong: 414 Disposals def Richmond: 321 Disposals
Adelaide: 427 Disposals def Richmond: 358 Disposals

Not too much given away there, but there is more non-negotiables that can be gleaned by looking at the major
strengths of Richmond and the way they exploit teams that lack leg speed and dynamic. May possibly involve
their handball numbers, enough said.

Tom Hawkins could not be sleeping well, could have used his aerial ability and goal impact. Yes Geelong should
have won the flag in 2019.

Disappointing.
Don't tell me, it's going to be 'the mighty pies' vs cats in the gf (again) routine..

Disappointing.
i agree,my apologies fellow tiger fans but this is a huge negative energy,against the grain of what we've endevoured to achieve for the past 9 years,its a total dampener and im hoping the fellas can rise above what Rance has done,but geez its gonna be tough,its devastiating for them,now theyre a team mate short, hes turned his back on them, which is f****d...hes let those blokes down,theres no 2 ways about it
Its a s**t thing hes done,the only out i"ll give him on this is that he knows his knee wont come up so at his age he cant be arsed doing anymore rehab so call it a day,thats the only out,to walk away after trade period fully fit & turn ya back on your teammates to concentrate on bible studies,i cant accept

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back