Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really think AFL clubs are that unprofessional and would jeopardise their futures and chances of success on that rubbish?
Kids who love footy are willing to take their chances and they know the odds are stacked against them but the challenge is in the trying and the experience they gain is invaluable.

have you noticed that AFL club scouts rarely look outside the big clubs who have success. A guarantee you the best kid at the bottom team is probably better than the 4th-5th best kid at the top side. And his more determined however his probably less fortunate, so yes the system is often very biased.

Add-on the facilities at private schools compared to TAC clubs. Also it appears it's more enticing to coach a private school than a tac cup eg Robert Shaw, Matty Lloyd, no tac team could afford those type of coaches. We will see less and less dusty Martin's in our great game and more and more private school players (a qtr of players drafted from 11 private schools this and rising).

If I'm not wrong most of the AFL commission also is a product of the private school system and don't give a stuff about the health of country, metro or vfl footy

Ive experienced this as my son was approached to go to 1 of the elite Melb private schools to play APS footy in preference to continuing with TAC cup footy. Yes it was a great experience for him and us parents but ultimately it hampered his chances of being drafted (as was rated high in Vic) as they thought he played against lesser defenders and just over powered them at the private school level footy. What a joke!! So yes the private school finally got there Premiership ( without him playing they wouldn’t have won it) and showed it off yet on a personal level I think it reduced his chances of being drafted and at least given a chance to achieve his dream of trying to play AFL football.

Ive experienced this as my son was approached to go to 1 of the elite Melb private schools to play APS footy in preference to continuing with TAC cup footy. Yes it was a great experience for him and us parents but ultimately it hampered his chances of being drafted (as was rated high in Vic) as they thought he played against lesser defenders and just over powered them at the private school level footy. What a joke!! So yes the private school finally got there Premiership ( without him playing they wouldn’t have won it) and showed it off yet on a personal level I think it reduced his chances of being drafted and at least given a chance to achieve his dream of trying to play AFL football.
A player that had the talent to be a very good AFL player IMO. I think if provided the opportunity certainly would've been at the level of Gibbons, Frost,Schultz etc. One of the great big game performers at VFL level.

My question is why would they given they were previously in the O&M and chose to leave. Issues like travel etc have not changed, but I am not across the reasons they initially left for the GVL.

My question is why would they given they were previously in the O&M and chose to leave. Issues like travel etc have not changed, but I am not across the reasons they initially left for the GVL.
Tongue, I think at the time they were finding it very difficult to be competitive in the O&M at the time. Not sure if that has changed too much, although I'm sure that the O&M now has a few top sides and he rest sort it out amongst themselves.

Tongue, I think at the time they were finding it very difficult to be competitive in the O&M at the time. Not sure if that has changed too much, although I'm sure that the O&M now has a few top sides and he rest sort it out amongst themselves.
Thoughts on who might challenge Kyabram ringo? Someone has to play them.
My top pre-season top six:
Kyabram
Echuca
Euroa
Rochester
Benalla
Seymour.

What do you reckon?

Thoughts on who might challenge Kyabram ringo? Someone has to play them.
My top pre-season top six:
Kyabram
Echuca
Euroa
Rochester
Benalla
Seymour.

What do you reckon?

Mate I think you are near the mark. if Euroa can get all their VFL players in September they could be a difficult proposition. I think Ky are still a fair way in front at this stage. especially if Morgan, Crowe and Williams come back int the mix in 2020.

Mate I think you are near the mark. if Euroa can get all their VFL players in September they could be a difficult proposition. I think Ky are still a fair way in front at this stage. especially if Morgan, Crowe and Williams come back int the mix in 2020.
Depth might become a problem as inevitably two's players will move away for opportunities. I think Kyabram two's were low on the ladder last year so who knows.

Depth might become a problem as inevitably two's players will move away for opportunities. I think Kyabram two's were low on the ladder last year so who knows.

Ky’s 2s will be much more competitive this season, not saying top 4 but they are definitely rebuilding their depth.
Their seniors will still be 5 goals better than everyone else I believe, unless Euroa get all their VFL listed players on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ky’s 2s will be much more competitive this season, not saying top 4 but they are definitely rebuilding their depth.
Their seniors will still be 5 goals better than everyone else I believe, unless Euroa get all their VFL listed players on the park.

Not sure if any of our good young kids are coming back just yep
Schuey and mclay went to Lancaster
Depth might be kys Achilles in a couple of years
Our reserves can only improve have heard Dillon and wild returning but may lose some
Think some
Kids from thirds heading to uni
Seniors will win comfortably
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much harder than picking the Premier swoop. I think the bottom 5 are United, Swans, Mooroopna, Mansfield and Shepparton. The unlucky wooden spooner might be the Cats in a tight finish. Though I see Dean Smith will be a useful 'In'.
Mansfield for mine at this point lost some quality from a side that was only fair in 2019. Doesn't look like Mooroopna have done much recruiting wise which is a bit dissapointing but they won 4 games last year and Lamont should be able to atleast get them to that point again which would have them above a Spoon.

Much harder than picking the Premier swoop. I think the bottom 5 are United, Swans, Mooroopna, Mansfield and Shepparton. The unlucky wooden spooner might be the Cats in a tight finish. Though I see Dean Smith will be a useful 'In'.

It's not a great advertisement for Footy in the Shepparton region. I think Mooroopna will improve Tongue under Lamont.

Bit of talk about Euroa’s recruits but I’ll be keen to see how it helps the likes of Hayes, Trotter and the Gleeson’s. Saw the younger Trotter kick 5 against Ky. Always been talented, 80+ games and still only 19

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit of talk about Euroa’s recruits but I’ll be keen to see how it helps the likes of Hayes, Trotter and the Gleeson’s. Saw the younger Trotter kick 5 against Ky. Always been talented, 80+ games and still only 19

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I see Brad Gleeson has put in his 2nd clearance application to the KDFL after being denied 1st time. Assuming their influence won't include Brad?

James Ivill also out of Euroa. Excuse my ignorance, but was he one of their key backs? If so, I rated him on the couple of occasions I have watched Euroa over the past few years.

Last edited:
What worries me is that it appears as if the league might drop off again Tongue!
Yes I agree mate. At this point it looks like United, Swans, Mooroopna, Mansfield and probably Shepparton are bottom five. Not sure how strong Tatura will be either.

Maybe more announcements regarding recruits to come from these sides but it seems late.

For mine it is Kyabram well ahead, followed by Echuca and Euroa (if their recruits actually play a significant part) then Benalla, Rochy and Seymour who cannot challenge Kyabram. Then it drops off even further.

What about your own selection Swoop? It's an open field in the bottom half I reckon.
Ky are certainly looking the ones to beat What a terrific football side they are tongue, I believe their main challengers will be once again Echuca let’s hope the likes of Euroa, Rochy, Benalla , and Seymour improve enough to add some real spice to the competition Toss up for wooden spooners out of Mansfield and Mooroopna Like someone has already mentioned Lamonts professional coaching could be the difference on who gets the spoon

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back