Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been working in Sydney for the last few days and had a small look at training today.

Was only there for 10-15 minutes but

Small intraclub was being played
- Mill was playing out of the backline
- Blakey and Stephens were rotating with each other between forward and mid
- Knoll was impressive in the ruck (admittedly I think he was only against Fox?)
- Rowbottom was very impressive from the little bit I saw.

Last edited:

Have been working in Sydney for the last few days and had a small look at training today.

Was only there for 10-15 minutes but

Small intraclub was being played
- Mill was playing out of the backline
- Blakey and Stephens were rotating with each other between forward and back.
- Knoll was impressive in the ruck (admittedly I think he was only against Fox?)
- Rowbottom was very impressive from the little bit I saw.
Got a good feeling about Rowbottom...hopefully it's more accurate than the same good feeling I get when I pick my powerball numbers

Got a good feeling about Rowbottom...hopefully it's more accurate than the same good feeling I get when I pick my powerball numbers

It's not a good feeling Ticky, it's as clear as day.. the kid can play, will turn out to be an outstanding pick-up for the club.

As for me, I have an optimistic, if not good, feeling about Knoll. I wasn't impressed by his NEAFL form at all, but he has a few things going for him. The fact he didn't have a pre-season made me inclined to give him a free pass. And the fact he's had a big pre-season by all accounts (lots of match practice, a good showing in the time trials though I don't rate them, early start in November etc) gives him some upside. And the fact he was a pretty handy ruck in the SANFL, which is more competitive than the NEAFL, tells me he's capable of playing decent footy. He may never turn out to be much for us but all of these things tell me that he's not a total dud, and there's something to work with there.

Rowbottom looks ripped along with Hewitt.
These boys look lean & strong enough to take on key midfield minutes going forward.
We go into 2020 as an unknown quantity as a midfield group but I am very confident we will come out of this season, & heading into 2021 with a top rated midfield once again, back up to where we belong.
Dare to dream with these blokes doing time in the middle.
Rowbottom, Blakey, Heeney, Florent, Hewitt, Parker, Dawson, Warner, Stephens.
JPK will absolutely love the assistance & will love the opportunity to get first use of the ball with Naismith back in the middle.
I also have an extremely good feeling about Knoll & think he will play some senior footy this year for us should Naismith miss.
I fear for Sinclair. Big heart & may get a gig forward with Bud out but he gets smashed in the ruck.
Just a few thoughts.

People write Sinclair off like a dirty snot rag on here, poor bastard better than a few who get talked up
I havnt read a single post that has written Sinclare off 'like a dirty snot rag'
The reality is, he's (in most peoples opinions, including the coaches) behind Buddy and Reid as a tall forward, and behind Naismith in the ruck. And.. he's on the wrong side of 30.
Most, if not all people have total respect for the man that gives absolutely everything to the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sinclair did not play in the short match on Friday. He was doing a lot of 1 vs 1 with the coaches, jumping and tapping against a bag. But he was involved in the rest of the drills. And wore a fluro cap for the 10 vs 10 and 5 vs 4 sim drills later in the session. Fox and Knoll were the ruckmen for the 16 vs 16 match at the start of the session.

On Monday they did two ruck stoppage drills. One was a 3 vs 3 drill alternating between a ball up and boundary throw in. I think Sinclair was in the group where it was Rowbottom, Florent, Parker vs Kennedy, Cunningham, Hewett. I think Knoll was in a group with Warner, Clarke, Mcinerney vs Bell, Taylor, Foot(unsure). At the end of the session they did a 1 vs 1 ball up drill involving Sinclair and the main mids.

Last edited:
I would imagine Naismith would come through the NEAFL to start off with, wouldn't be surprised at all if Knoll gets a run rd 1

I havnt read a single post that has written Sinclare off 'like a dirty snot rag'
The reality is, he's (in most peoples opinions, including the coaches) behind Buddy and Reid as a tall forward, and behind Naismith in the ruck. And.. he's on the wrong side of 30.
Most, if not all people have total respect for the man that gives absolutely everything to the team

dirty snot rag was a bit tongue in cheek

not sure how you know what the coaches think? lets leave that one side

but on here hes rated behind naismith, wont go into that again, but both are close to 30 and i know who does more around the ground

sinclairs done more than reid every year hes been at sydney, not sure how he rates behind him

id take him over both of them

Well he wasn't playing when I went to training, but I still think if fit his our starting ruckman.

fitness and from for this year obviously matters for everything

maybe knoll dominates the jlt and both naismith and Sinclair are out, who knows

but i think we have 0 standout rucks, so this idea naismith just takes the number 1 spot automatically is odd imo

What’s he done recently to earn any praise? Got injured mid-year and before that was getting smashed in his position every week.

hyperbole,. he competed hard, had some good games, yeah got beaten a bit too, again not saying he is anything great, but he is honest

injured mid year ? played 14 games out of 22

how many did naismith play?

hyperbole,. he competed hard, had some good games, yeah got beaten a bit too, again not saying he is anything great, but he is honest

injured mid year ? played 14 games out of 22

how many did naismith play?

Jordan Foote and Daniel Robinson were honest. Also don’t see what others see re Sinclair’s work around the ground. Tries hard but is a liability in most passages he’s involved in. Neither are ideal but at least Naismith is decent in one role. Sinclair’s very ordinary in every role IMO.

Jordan Foote and Daniel Robinson were honest. Also don’t see what others see re Sinclair’s work around the ground. Tries hard but is a liability in most passages he’s involved in. Neither are ideal but at least Naismith is decent in one role. Sinclair’s very ordinary in every role IMO.

Each to their own of course

Robinson and Foote were shithouse

Honest I take as at least competent

Sinclair around the ground gets involved and less of a liability than Naismith who’s tap work doesn’t offset his lack of work around the ground imo

Ideally I’d prefer neither , but I just am surprised given his output Sinclair seems to be first out for most but people select Reid etc who has done nothing for a decade

Just my view

I would be trying to get a decent ruck and get away from both Sinclair and Naismith but if I have to carry someone to compete give me Sinclair for now

the evidence re Naismith is small and dated , the excitement around him by some including the club is overblown imo
Time will tell hopefully in 6 months everyone can say I told you so and he is great

But I would bet against it

Each to their own of course

Robinson and Foote were shithouse

Honest I take as at least competent

Sinclair around the ground gets involved and less of a liability than Naismith who’s tap work doesn’t offset his lack of work around the ground imo

Ideally I’d prefer neither , but I just am surprised given his output Sinclair seems to be first out for most but people select Reid etc who has done nothing for a decade

Just my view

I would be trying to get a decent ruck and get away from both Sinclair and Naismith but if I have to carry someone to compete give me Sinclair for now

the evidence re Naismith is small and dated , the excitement around him by some including the club is overblown imo
Time will tell hopefully in 6 months everyone can say I told you so and he is great

But I would bet against it

I mean, if it were up to me we wouldn’t have either Sinclair or Reid in the team so your point is not lost on me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back