Song Contest Part XVI, Host: ???, Theme:???, Noms Due: ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say they were:
Underrated- ill agree
One of the best- ill ignore.
The best band in the world- ill laugh.
'Easily' the best band in the world- ill piss myself uncontrollably.
THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT:
1) CLASSIC EARLY 70'S LIVE ALBUMS
2) THE STONES VS THE WHO & ZEPPELIN AS THE BEST LIVE ROCK BAND

I SAID DEEP PURPLE WAS THE BEST LIVE ROCK BAND OF THAT ERA.

IT'S NOT REALLY A DISAGREEMENT ABOUT WHOSE SONGS AND ALBUMS I PREFER, WHICH IS A MATTER OF TASTE & PERSONAL OPINION & WHAT MOOD I'M IN... NO RIGHT ANSWER. MORE OF A STATEMENT ABOUT WHICH BAND ROCKED... WHO TORE IT UP IN THAT TIME PERIOD, WHO HAD THE BEST TOURS & PLAYED THE BEST SHOWS.

SOMEONE MIGHT ARGUE FOR ZAPPA, FLOYD, BOWIE, CAN, STOOGES, TULL, SKYNYRD, ETC.... THEY ALL HAVE MERIT. BUT I'M TALKING PURELY FOR THE RAWK.

IF IT WAS 1972 AND YOU, PLUG, HOSS, ULA AND I WERE 25YO, WHICH OF THOSE GREAT BANDS WOULD BE THE BEST TO GO SEE - NOT OUT OF CURIOSITY, NOT FOR NOSTALGIC REASONS, NOR TO BE ABLE SAY "I SAW LED ZEP", BUT PURELY FOR THE MUSIC IN THAT MOMENT AND WALKING AWAY AFTERWARDS SAYING "SHIT YEAH! WHAT A NIGHT!"

PURPLE WERE AN UNSTOPPABLE MACHINE... AWESOME HUGE SOUND, TIGHT AS A DRUM, NO WEAK LINKS..
GREAT SONGS BUT ALSO GREAT IMPROVISORS WHO RARELY PLAYED A SONG THE SAME WAY TWICE.

LED ZEP ALSO IMPROVISED A LOT IN THEIR LIVE SHOWS, BUT THIS WASN'T A STRENGTH OF THEIRS, IMO. SOME TRULY CRINGEWORTHY SELF-INDULGENT SHIT. THEY HAVE SOME GOOD LIVE RECORDINGS, BUT A LOT OF IT IS SLOPPY TOO. JIMMY F**KIN PAGE. ANOTHER WASTED JUNKIE WHO DIDN'T KNOW WHAT NOTES HE WAS PLAYING HALF THE TIME.

SAME DEAL WITH SABBATH. GREAT BAND, GREAT ALBUMS, BUT THEY WERE F**KED UP MOST OF THE TIME AND PRETTY SLOPPY

Last edited:
Why are people yelling?

ROFLMAO that Deep Purple were better than the Stones.
So youve seen them both play have ya? Have you even listened to a DP album from start to finish? DP were an infinitely better BAND. Every member of the MKII lineup was a supreme musician and all unbelievably in sync with each other. Not as good as Roxette though hey?

Say they were:
Underrated- ill agree

One of the best- ill ignore.

The best band in the world- ill laugh.

'Easily' the best band in the world- ill piss myself uncontrollably.
I suggest wearing a pad if youre gonna let your ignorance dictate your humour then.

rs-6148-rectangle.jpg

The Lord.
Our saviour.
The mad master keyboardist.

Why are people yelling?
BECAUSE IN CYBERSPACE, NOBODY CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM

HOW ELSE AM I GONNA GET NOTICED AMONGST ALL THIS BANNER ADVERTISING AND CONSTANT 'BRUNCHY' NATTER?

ROFLMAO that Deep Purple were better than the Stones.
SORRY DUDE YOU'RE NOT QUALIFIED TO HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS

STICK TO WA WA NEE

Last edited:
DEEP PURPLE LOL, THEY HAD ONE GOOD HIT SMOKE ON THE WATER.
THE STONES HAD AT LEAST A DOZEN GOOD HITS DURING THAT ERA.
FALSE

1. BROWN SUGAR
  2. WILD HORSES
  3. TUMBLING DICE
  4. HAPPY
  5. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WOT U WANT
  6. ANGIE
  7. DOO DOO DOO HEARTBREAKER

1. BLACK NIGHT
  2. SPEED KING
  3. CHILD IN TIME
  4. STRANGE KIND OF WOMAN
  5. FIREBALL
  6. NEVER BEFORE
  7. HIGHWAY STAR
  8. SMOKE ON THE WATER
  9. WOMAN FROM TOKYO

DEEP PURPLE NEVER BECAME A PLATINUM-SELLING SINGLES BAND IN AMERICA - HUSH WAS THEIR ONLY OTHER TOP 10 HIT IN THE STATES (BESIDES "SMOKE ON THE WATER") - BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY WEREN'T THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF THE EARLY 70's. THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING.

WHO CARES IF PURPLE WERE "TOO HARD" AND UNCOMPROMISING FOR MANY MAINSTREAM U.S. RADIO STATIONS BACK IN THE SEVENTIES?

YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER LISTENED TO A DEEP PURPLE ALBUM EXCEPT MAYBE SIDE 1 OF MACHINE HEAD SO WHAT THE F**K WOULD YOU KNOW?

KEEF MAY HAVE BEEN OVERRATED AS A GUITARIST BACK THEN BUT THEY ALSO HAD MICK TAYLOR DURING THAT ERA WHO WAS SECOND TO NONE.
TAYLOR WAS A GREAT BLUESY ROCK GUITARIST, LOVE HIM, BUT RICHIE BLACKMORE WAS ON ANOTHER LEVEL, BOTH IN VIRTUOSITY, ORIGINALITY, COMPOSITION, SONGWRITING AND INFLUENCE

KEEF DIDN'T LIKE THE FACT THAT MICK TAYLOR WAS BETTER THAN HIM WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS HE WAS REPLACED BY RONNIE WOOD
BULLSHIT. THE ONLY THING KEEF CARED ABOUT DURING THAT TIME WAS HIS NEXT FIX.

MICK TAYLOR QUIT THE BAND COS HE WASN'T HAPPY AND WASN'T ADJUSTING TO LIFE AS A ROCK STAR, F**KED UP ON DRUGS IN SOUTH OF FRANCE, AWAY FROM FRIENDS & FAMILY AND LOSING PERSPECTIVE. HE WASN'T GETTING ANY OF THE SONGWRITING CREDITS AND WASN'T GETTING HIS WAY IN THE STUDIO.

CHARLIE WATTS AND BILL WYMAN WERE A GREAT RHYTHM SECTION BACK THEN TOO
TRUE

AND MICK JAGGER WAS A GREAT FRONTMAN/SHOWMAN.
SO WAS DAVID LEE ROTH BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE WASN'T ALSO A CLOWN AND A BORDERLINE TERRIBLE SINGER

GIVE PEOPLE THE CHOICE TO SEE THE STONES LIVE AT THEIR PEAK OR DEEP PURPLE OR THE WHO AND 95% OF PEOPLE WOULD CHOOSE THE STONES.
95% OF PEOPLE WOULD CHOOSE COLDPLAY, IMAGINE DRAGONS AND MUMFORD & SONS OVER RADIOHEAD, TOOL AND QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
PROVES NUTHIN OTHER THAN "MOST PEOPLE" HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THEIR ARSES

Last edited:
THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT:
1) CLASSIC EARLY 70'S LIVE ALBUMS
2) THE STONES VS THE WHO & ZEPPELIN AS THE BEST LIVE ROCK BAND

I SAID DEEP PURPLE WAS THE BEST LIVE ROCK BAND OF THAT ERA.

IT'S NOT REALLY A DISAGREEMENT ABOUT WHOSE SONGS AND ALBUMS I PREFER, WHICH IS A MATTER OF TASTE & PERSONAL OPINION & WHAT MOOD I'M IN... NO RIGHT ANSWER. MORE OF A STATEMENT ABOUT WHICH BAND ROCKED... WHO TORE IT UP IN THAT TIME PERIOD, WHO HAD THE BEST TOURS & PLAYED THE BEST SHOWS.

SOMEONE MIGHT ARGUE FOR ZAPPA, FLOYD, BOWIE, CAN, STOOGES, TULL, SKYNYRD, ETC.... THEY ALL HAVE MERIT. BUT I'M TALKING PURELY FOR THE RAWK.

IF IT WAS 1972 AND YOU, PLUG, HOSS, ULA AND I WERE 25YO, WHICH OF THOSE GREAT BANDS WOULD BE THE BEST TO GO SEE - NOT OUT OF CURIOSITY, NOT FOR NOSTALGIC REASONS, NOR TO BE ABLE SAY "I SAW LED ZEP", BUT PURELY FOR THE MUSIC IN THAT MOMENT AND WALKING AWAY AFTERWARDS SAYING "SHIT YEAH! WHAT A NIGHT!"

PURPLE WERE AN UNSTOPPABLE MACHINE... AWESOME HUGE SOUND, TIGHT AS A DRUM, NO WEAK LINKS..
GREAT SONGS BUT ALSO GREAT IMPROVISORS WHO RARELY PLAYED A SONG THE SAME WAY TWICE.

LED ZEP ALSO IMPROVISED A LOT IN THEIR LIVE SHOWS, BUT THIS WASN'T A STRENGTH OF THEIRS, IMO. SOME TRULY CRINGEWORTHY SELF-INDULGENT SHIT. THEY HAVE SOME GOOD LIVE RECORDINGS, BUT A LOT OF IT IS SLOPPY TOO. JIMMY F**KIN PAGE. ANOTHER WASTED JUNKIE WHO DIDN'T KNOW WHAT NOTES HE WAS PLAYING HALF THE TIME.

SAME DEAL WITH SABBATH. GREAT BAND, GREAT ALBUMS, BUT THEY WERE F**KED UP MOST OF THE TIME AND PRETTY SLOPPY

IF YOU'RE TALKING 1972 YOU CAN'T IGNORE STEELY DAN'S CAN'T BUY A THRILL WHICH PRODUCED THESE TWO CLASSIC SONGS.

Love pluggers music credibility metric.
Only one hit
Plugger meldrum.
Kudos to you Sir.
You do us all a favour.
DeficientUnsteadyIncatern-small.gif

Molly jumped the shark with Molly's Melodrama on Hey Hey when he just talked up the latest Madonna and Michael Jackson albums.

He had his finger on the pulse back in the 70s though, gave Split Enz airplay on Countdown when they were just an unknown band from NZ.

Molly jumped the shark with Molly's Melodrama on Hey Hey when he just talked up the latest Madonna and Michael Jackson albums.

He had his finger on the pulse back in the 70s though, gave Split Enz airplay on Countdown when they were just an unknown band from NZ.
Think he had a lot of fingers on many varying pulses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he had a lot of fingers on many varying pulses.

Bwian Mannix used to get a few hosting gigs on Countdown in the latter years, wouldn't surprise me if he was one of Molly's went boys.

Only explanation for this song making it to no.1.

I was going nom thing guilty pleasure but feared the same result the first time I nommed it.

Bwian Mannix used to get a few hosting gigs on Countdown in the latter years, wouldn't surprise me if he was one of Molly's went boys.

Only explanation for this song making it to no.1.

Remember that shitful band Roxus?
Came out of nowhere with a slew of absolute tripe songs and heavily promoted by Molly.

Cat was kinda out of the bag tho. Three months before they slithered to prominence the Age newspaper's sunday supplement "The weekender" magazine had a story on Molly.
They were conducting the interview when a "nice polite man" served tea.
Molly explained. "Thats one of my live in staff"
It was none other than Juno Roxus himself.:D

Pete wasn't laughing when he was investigated for viewing underage pr0n sites and claimed he was just doing research to prevent other people doing it.

That was swept under the carpet pretty quickly.
This has taken an unexpected turn. Pete actually turned himself in and told the police exactly what he did. He was investigated and cleared. If there had been anything to it he would have been fed to the wolves.
Bill Wyman married a 16 year old girl but at least he had the decency to leave the band after that.

Mick Jagger probably pushed him out, Mick gives off the vibe that he's wild and loose but he runs The Stones like a corporation and he's the CEO.
I don't think that had anything to do with why Bill left. He'd just had enough. Keith wanted him to stay. Him leaving just further dilutes the Stones sound. They're still fantastic live - last show I saw was in 2014 - but it's not quite the same. Obviously.

100% agree regarding Mick as the corporate CEO. I just wish he'd have a more hands on approach to their reissues and From The Vault series, instead of passing it off on engineers who are obsessed with squashing the DR of the albums.

Anyway...

This has taken an unexpected turn. Pete actually turned himself in and told the police exactly what he did. He was investigated and cleared. If there had been anything to it he would have been fed to the wolves.

I don't think that had anything to do with why Bill left. He'd just had enough. Keith wanted him to stay. Him leaving just further dilutes the Stones sound. They're still fantastic live - last show I saw was in 2014 - but it's not quite the same. Obviously.

100% agree regarding Mick as the corporate CEO. I just wish he'd have a more hands on approach to their reissues and From The Vault series, instead of passing it off on engineers who are obsessed with squashing the DR of the albums.

Anyway...

No one would ever mistake Plugger for Glenn A Baker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back