Song Contest Part XVI, Host: ???, Theme:???, Noms Due: ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know songwriting credits was a reason he left so it was probably Mick that pushed him out as he was more about the money than the music.
Funnily enough, Mick (Taylor) is on record as saying he never had a problem with Mick (Jagger).
Keef would have been too wasted back then to care about money, probably still is, while Mick treats The Stones as a money making business.
It was really Keith's slide into addiction that forced Mick's hand into taking sole control of the band's business affairs. And of course once Keith was cleaned up and ready to take his share of the load, Mick pushed back and asked where he'd been for the previous 10 years. In the last 30 years it's been all about the tours really, with the odd underwhelming album released every so on.

IF IT WAS 1972 AND YOU, PLUG, HOSS, ULA AND I WERE 25YO, WHICH OF THOSE GREAT BANDS WOULD BE THE BEST TO GO SEE - NOT OUT OF CURIOSITY, NOT FOR NOSTALGIC REASONS, NOR TO BE ABLE SAY "I SAW LED ZEP", BUT PURELY FOR THE MUSIC IN THAT MOMENT AND WALKING AWAY AFTERWARDS SAYING "s**t YEAH! WHAT A NIGHT!"
And as tempted as I would be to go to see the Taylor era Stones rock 'n' roll show (not to mention Purple or Zep), my vote would be with The Who. They also had the ability to improvise, but with a kind of unhinged power that could take them in any direction. They also rocked as hard as anyone, including Purple, Zep, and Sabbath. When you add an almost punk-like intensity they were an unstoppable force of nature.

I haven't mentioned the most unique (and loudest) rhythm section in rock history either, IMHABO.

Great discussion.

Last edited:

THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT:
1) CLASSIC EARLY 70'S LIVE ALBUMS
2) THE STONES VS THE WHO & ZEPPELIN AS THE BEST LIVE ROCK BAND

I SAID DEEP PURPLE WAS THE BEST LIVE ROCK BAND OF THAT ERA.

IT'S NOT REALLY A DISAGREEMENT ABOUT WHOSE SONGS AND ALBUMS I PREFER, WHICH IS A MATTER OF TASTE & PERSONAL OPINION & WHAT MOOD I'M IN... NO RIGHT ANSWER. MORE OF A STATEMENT ABOUT WHICH BAND ROCKED... WHO TORE IT UP IN THAT TIME PERIOD, WHO HAD THE BEST TOURS & PLAYED THE BEST SHOWS.

SOMEONE MIGHT ARGUE FOR ZAPPA, FLOYD, BOWIE, CAN, STOOGES, TULL, SKYNYRD, ETC.... THEY ALL HAVE MERIT. BUT I'M TALKING PURELY FOR THE RAWK.

IF IT WAS 1972 AND YOU, PLUG, HOSS, ULA AND I WERE 25YO, WHICH OF THOSE GREAT BANDS WOULD BE THE BEST TO GO SEE - NOT OUT OF CURIOSITY, NOT FOR NOSTALGIC REASONS, NOR TO BE ABLE SAY "I SAW LED ZEP", BUT PURELY FOR THE MUSIC IN THAT MOMENT AND WALKING AWAY AFTERWARDS SAYING "s**t YEAH! WHAT A NIGHT!"

PURPLE WERE AN UNSTOPPABLE MACHINE... AWESOME HUGE SOUND, TIGHT AS A DRUM, NO WEAK LINKS..
GREAT SONGS BUT ALSO GREAT IMPROVISORS WHO RARELY PLAYED A SONG THE SAME WAY TWICE.

LED ZEP ALSO IMPROVISED A LOT IN THEIR LIVE SHOWS, BUT THIS WASN'T A STRENGTH OF THEIRS, IMO. SOME TRULY CRINGEWORTHY SELF-INDULGENT s**t. THEY HAVE SOME GOOD LIVE RECORDINGS, BUT A LOT OF IT IS SLOPPY TOO. JIMMY F**KIN PAGE. ANOTHER WASTED JUNKIE WHO DIDN'T KNOW WHAT NOTES HE WAS PLAYING HALF THE TIME.

SAME DEAL WITH SABBATH. GREAT BAND, GREAT ALBUMS, BUT THEY WERE F**KED UP MOST OF THE TIME AND PRETTY SLOPPY
You didn't say 'best live' you said 'clearly best'.

Also if your argument relies on the competition being off their chops that can be for better or worse depending on the artist and the drug.
For instance Id personally have preferred to see Morrison in full lizard king mode.

Also- none of us were there.

Judging the early 70s bands on the various Beat club perfomances that they did Id give them all the stiff arm for an Atomic Rooster gig

IT WAS JUST PICTURES OF LILY

BORIS THE SPIDER
RECKONS THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT :oops:

THEY ALSO TOOK ADVANTAGE OF A DEAF DUMB AND BLIND KID THAT WAS PLAYING PINBALL

MICK TAYLOR QUIT THE BAND COS HE WASN'T HAPPY AND WASN'T ADJUSTING TO LIFE AS A ROCK STAR, F**KED UP ON DRUGS IN SOUTH OF FRANCE, AWAY FROM FRIENDS & FAMILY AND LOSING PERSPECTIVE. HE WASN'T GETTING ANY OF THE SONGWRITING CREDITS AND WASN'T GETTING HIS WAY IN THE STUDIO.
Spot on.
TAYLOR WAS A GREAT BLUESY ROCK GUITARIST, LOVE HIM, BUT RICHIE BLACKMORE WAS ON ANOTHER LEVEL, BOTH IN VIRTUOSITY, ORIGINALITY, COMPO
I love them both. I rate Taylor at the top of a group that includes himself, Blackmore, Duane Allman, Paul Kossoff and Clapton before he started churning out complete crap in the early '80's (or earlier), but that's just my personal taste.

I have JH above the lot of them.

And as tempted as I would be to go to see the Taylor era Stones rock 'n' roll show (not to mention Purple or Zep), my vote would be with The Who. They also had the ability to improvise, but with a kind of unhinged power that could take them in any direction. They also rocked as hard as anyone, including Purple, Zep, and Sabbath. When you add an almost punk-like intensity they were an unstoppable force of nature.

I haven't mentioned the most unique (and loudest) rhythm section in rock history, IMHABO.

Great discussion.
WHY ARE YOU WHISPERING?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back