Politics How does the left get its political mojo back and win power?

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're just virtue signalling.

I'm being true to my convictions.

I used to be pro-abortion. I have considered that if I want to value all human life as equal then I can't be drawing lines of convenience or worth across any part of the human spectrum, so I don't.

I'm being true to my convictions.

I used to be pro-abortion. I have considered that if I want to value all human life as equal then I can't be drawing lines of convenience or worth across any part of the human spectrum, so I don't.
So if you're so concerned about human life and human rights why target women who just want to have legal abortions?

So if you're so concerned about human life and human rights why target women who just want to have legal abortions?
That would be the most innocent lives of all being extinguished for what are mostly selfish reasons of convenience.

You don't need to extend that mentality out far for it to be a crime against humanity under the guise of public health programs.

That would be the most innocent lives of all being extinguished for what are mostly selfish reasons of convenience.

You don't need to extend that mentality out far for it to be a crime against humanity under the guise of public health programs.
There's no shortage of selfishness in the world. 15,000 children under 5 years of age die each day.
Can your compassion extend to any of them and try to understand their reasons for dying?

There's no shortage of selfishness in the world. 15,000 children under 5 years of age die each day.
Can your compassion extend to any of them and try to understand their reasons for dying?
Yeah my guy and I are looking into adopting some children at the moment.

I'd love to hear what you're doing.

Yeah my guy and I are looking into adopting some children at the moment.

I'd love to hear what you're doing.
That's good.
I've supported families financially through overseas aid organisations for more than 20 years.
I see that as more productive than ruining the lives of young girls who have fallen pregnant out of lack of education or coercion.

That's good.
I've supported families financially through overseas aid organisations for more than 20 years.
I see that as more productive than ruining the lives of young girls who have fallen pregnant out of lack of education or coercion.

How much life impact warrants the ending of the life for the cause?

Plenty of young people are caring for their sick parents too, bump them off and the young person is unruined.

I'm pro-abortion.

Call it what you want, I don't give a *, but there are far too many people on the planet.

The world population should be no more than 2 billion, but it's close to 8 billion.

Everyone in the world should have no more than two children, but this is impossible due to poverty and religious bullshit.

Humanity is doomed.

How much life impact warrants the ending of the life for the cause?

Plenty of young people are caring for their sick parents too, bump them off and the young person is unruined.
It's clear that you see no difference between a day old fetus and one that is close to full term.
I do draw a difference. A difference informed by medical science. I'm happy with that.

It's clear that you see no difference between a day old fetus and one that is close to full term.
I do draw a difference. A difference informed by medical science. I'm happy with that.
Medical science actually puts the start of a human life at conception, but whatever makes you feel confident in your position. :)

Like I said, I'm not here to change any minds but there are a lot of people between my position and yours who see the progression of abortion up to birth as obscene and it pushes them away from the left.

I don't care when life begins. I understand if people think abortion is immoral, but it's not as bad as dooming the human population to extinction because of rapid overpopulation. If abortion was illegal everywhere in the world, we would collapse as a species. It's in the best interests of humanity to allow women the right to choose.

So we got Albo's views on how Labor can win back its mojo late last year, now today we get Joel Fitzgibbon's opinion
Jeebus how long will Joel be around? Support for the resources sector the inner City latte sippers will castrate him.

Wrong - re Libs and Nats, the Nats were once important but with the country bleeding people to the city they will be less important, and as much as Barnaby barks the Nats don't have a bite. They are hardly going to vote with the ALP.

Right - re the Greens they are poison for the ALP. The ALP must have its own policies and support the blue collar resource industries. They will not win if they retreat to Sydney and Melbourne.

How does the left get its political mojo back and win power?

Has that been answered and we're on to the next question now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you remove the right for a woman to have a legal abortion (which she is) then you can't have it both ways and say that it's okay to have an abortion if the woman's life is at risk.
Taylor is aware of this, which is why it's avoided.
It's why the point needs to be watered down over several posts before it can be responded to.

To answer OP question, it depends on what's making the right win.

If it's economics, the left needs to do a better job at explaining how trickle-down economics is bullshit, tax cuts = loss of resources, a lot of big companies pay no tax, a lot of people would actually save money not having to pay for resources out of their own pocket, wage growth needs to be tied to inflation and so on.

A lot of people just hear the words "tax cut" and go for that without giving the issue much thought. Stop leasing and selling resources, particularly to China and Indonesia.

If it's immigration, crackdown on companies that exploit overseas workers and drive wages down. Make it expensive for them to do so. Australian workers first. Immigration would slow down and there'd be no real threat to local workers in any job market.

Stop being politically correct about Muslim immigration. State clearly that racism and bigotry will not be tolerated but that there are genuine concerns about a major demographic shift in the future. Life in the Middle East and North Africa is hard - Islamic theocracies are s**t. They're more likely to happen in Muslim majority countries; wanting to keep Muslims out I don't agree with, but wanting them to remain a minority in the west shouldn't be met with such disdain by the left.

Lastly, up the ante on climate change - aim for at least 80% renewable by 2030. Challenge the myth that green economy = job killer. Green economies will bolster our economy, not weaken it.

I suspect it's a combination of these factors. Murdoch media needs to * right off.

If you remove the right for a woman to have a legal abortion (which she is) then you can't have it both ways and say that it's okay to have an abortion if the woman's life is at risk.
It's against the law to kill someone. It's not unlawful to kill someone in defense of your own life.

You're logical fallacy doesn't play out.

A human's life begins at the point their unique human DNA is created, at conception. It can end very soon after that as the random chance might create a DNA incompatible with life, but that's the point every person alive today began their journey. When someone else's DNA existed within different to both parents.

I have to hold that view to be consistent with my value of human life, anywhere else introduces too many artificial lines of worth that compromise the value of a human life.

I don't expect everyone to agree with that.
Sounds very much like post hoc rationalisation.

I believe that the Trump affect is mostly a reaction to ultra left SJW culture, as well as frustration with the established order. Your average person (and average lefty as well) doesn't care about they/them/xir/xie pronoun bullshit or token inclusion for the sake of virtue signalling and twitter brownie points. Trump, while not the answer and a oiled up swamp creature like the rest, swindled the voters well. When one side goes too extreme, the push back inevitably comes.

The globe is literally on fire. Priorities. Or natural selection comes for us all.

Are you claiming Trump was a reaction/rejection of Obama?
In Aus with Bandt pulling left & Albo going to the centre will there ever be a change of government ?

As Folau has his followers following him, how many people are following you?
People have the right to make up their own mind without you telling them what to believe Issy.

It's against the law to kill someone. It's not unlawful to kill someone in defense of your own life.

You're logical fallacy doesn't play out.

Are you talking about the woman defending her life by having the abortion?
Or the woman dying to defend the child being born?

Or did you not consider the second scenario, because subconsciously you don't view a fetus and a woman as equal life.

Are you talking about the woman defending her life by having the abortion?
Or the woman dying to defend the child being born?

Or did you not consider the second scenario, because subconsciously you don't view a fetus and a woman as equal life.

It's simple, if the mother would die in the pregnancy then both lives are lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back