No Oppo Supporters Hawks and Pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Will still have 65 machines, plus Vegas at Waverley Gardens...

Sell to fund Dingley or use the funds to invest in alternative revenue generating projects - win/win.

If Dingley is a $120m build and this sale nets us $30 of that, then we're getting there.

Will still have 65 machines, plus Vegas at Waverley Gardens...

Sell to fund Dingley or use the funds to invest in alternative revenue generating projects - win/win.

If Dingley is a $120m build and this sale nets us $30 of that, then we're getting there.

I’m still not convinced by the Dingley investment. We are essentially cutting non football related revenue and sinking into a huge capital works programme that won’t yield returns

Meanwhile all other Victorian clubs are getting handouts over fist from the AFL, the State and the Feds to upgrade their facilities

Pleased with this move. Hope we sell off the other venue. I know this doesn’t reduce down the number of pokies in the world but it frees people like Jeff to campaign against them once we are no longer profiting from them.

You reckon?

Google Amtek Corporation and Jeff Kennett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I trust this decision is not based on ‘What others think’.

How you make a profit will always depend on what the others think.

It could be the time to sell high.

Government regulations constantly change and are driven by policies that try to balance popular opinion against the need for increased tax collection.

This balance will determine the polices made by politicians regarding the future status of the pokies.

The evil opinion of pokies seems to only increases with the growth of profit.
Could their growing unpopular opinion be leading to a growing taxation as the government try to save the people from the evil pokies.

How you make a profit will always depend on what the others think.

It could be the time to sell high.

Government regulations constantly change and are driven by policies that try to balance popular opinion against the need for increased tax collection.

This balance will determine the polices made by politicians regarding the future status of the pokies.

The evil opinion of pokies seems to only increases with the growth of profit.
Could their growing unpopular opinion be leading to a growing taxation as the government try to save the people from the evil pokies.
thanks for the summary of market forces and intervention.
i was referring to others who neither buy or sell them, nor have the capacity to influence them, but scream the loudest

Pleased with this move. Hope we sell off the other venue. I know this doesn’t reduce down the number of pokies in the world but it frees people like Jeff to campaign against them once we are no longer profiting from them.
We probably want people that don't directly profit from them campaigning to get rid of them.
If he gets rid of his personal interest he might.

But yeah not sure he is the guy.

he opened the flood gates for them in Victoria doubt he will be a convincing anti pokies campaigner

thanks for the summary of market forces and intervention.
i was referring to others who neither buy or sell them, nor have the capacity to influence them, but scream the loudest

I too was referring to the same others who scream the loudest.

I think and hope that we are listening to them and we react at the best time to maximise our profits.
Social media has only helped in their capacity to influence government decision.

The media is currently giving us free and constant advertising on the ever increasing value of our gaming licences and at the same time its reporting of social media and its growing influence on government action will only put a expiry date on how long they stay profitable.

I’m still not convinced by the Dingley investment. We are essentially cutting non football related revenue and sinking into a huge capital works programme that won’t yield returns

Meanwhile all other Victorian clubs are getting handouts over fist from the AFL, the State and the Feds to upgrade their facilities
We own the land.....that's always yielding a return through either captial growth or rent from the onsite commercial ventures (hotel, cafe, medical centre)

We will also get handouts/funding from AFL, State and Fed govt

he opened the flood gates for them in Victoria doubt he will be a convincing anti pokies campaigner

The Kirner government legalised poker machines in Victoria so I am not sure how Kennett “opened the floodgates”. However I agree governments of all persuasions are addicted to the revenue they receive from gambling.
For the record, I have little interest in gambling other than buying the odd lottery ticket. Gambling has always been a mug’s game.

We own the land.....that's always yielding a return through either captial growth or rent from the onsite commercial ventures (hotel, cafe, medical centre)

Capital growth presumes that the value of the land will inflate?

We are putting vast amounts of money into a land parcel that was zoned 'green wedge'

Getting 'green wedge' zoned to a higher yielding residential or heavy industrial / commercial would be a miracle.

https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/__d...Green-Wedge-Planning-Provisions_June-2015.pdf

And even with 5 years of work the club has put into the site, and the substantial monies by the club already invested into the lands (up to $15m), the current plan that has been released for public comment only has a very honest gymnaisum, cafe and medical centre (with restricted hours)

Do we have the capacity on our board and on staff to pull this off? I have my doubts...

Meanwhile we are one of the few Victorian clubs that have not had substantial handounts from the AFL, State, Fed govt and as of May 2019 we backed the wrong horse in the Federal Election.

Pools, Basketball stadium with 6 courts, massive gym, cafes will all provide yearly return to the club as the project is being designed around the Hawks training base + a community facility for all to use.

Pokies are evil but they have been our golden goose. Would have to look over the books to ascertain how golden the westwaters has been but at an estimated price of 25-30 million I'd say westwaters turns a buck or two.

The sale of an income producing asset of this nature will have a very significant effect on our EOY reports. A little bit scary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back