Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anyone want to explain to me how 2 Pentecostal church services with 400 in each is better than 1 with 800?

today's announcement:
Economy | ----------- V ---------- | Health

imo it should have been:
Economy | ------------------- V -- | Health

Disappointing.

The study is not peer reviewed yet, but suggests that transmission rates seem to be highest at 5-11 degrees and around 50-80% humidity.

Screenshot_20200313-125959~2.png
*edit* Could also explain why we are not seeing mass transmission or at least an increase in unexplained deaths (given they wouldn't be testing) across India, South East Asia, Mexico/ Central America and Africa. All places with poor healthcare systems, sanitation/ hygiene and overcrowding.

**edit 2** Everyone is quick to rush and compare Australia to Italy as an example of what will happen here, but far more interesting is comparing us to other warm climate areas and why we haven't seen an uptick in unexplained deaths in countries which based on all other factors should be hot-spots for Covid19 transmission? The major cities of India, South East Asia, even Sub Saharan Africa and Central America are all significant airline hubs so would undoubtedly have had COVID 19 carriers return/ pass through? So where are the images of overwhelmed hospitals and Morgues or people dying in the streets - where is the panic?

Until we actually see the start of a mass transmission event here, we should be measured in our response and balance health concerns with economic and social concerns.

Last edited:
Morrison uses the words “advice” instead of ban because a ban would require insurance payouts to the value of the lost revenue.

Watching Aust V NZ ODI at an empty SCG is rather weird. Maybe they could have let a couple of thousand in and allocated bays so that the people were isolated. Then I guess they have a problem with bars, toilets etc.

I wonder what will happen with the remainder of the NRL games this weekend?

Watching Aust V NZ ODI at an empty SCG is rather weird. Maybe they could have let a couple of thousand in and allocated bays so that the people were isolated. Then I guess they have a problem with bars, toilets etc.

I wonder what will happen with the remainder of the NRL games this weekend?
The Prime Minister is going to the Sharks game. He said as much in his presser today.

So the cricket ODIs are played at an empty stadium and the F1 GP is cancelled as are the SA State Surf Lifesaving titles yet the NRL play before crowds and the Adelaide Fringe is to go ahead as the 500+ ban doesn't officially start until next week. Obviously atm it is up to the organisers of individual events and some are playing it safe while others aren't.

Meanwhile overseas the Head Coach at Arsenal FC has tested positive and the entire club including the first team are self isolating. They will all obviously be tested asap but you wonder what will happen if a couple of the players test positive. Will Arsenal be suspended from the EPL?

**** the news does not get any better does it?

So the cricket ODIs are played at an empty stadium and the F1 GP is cancelled as are the SA State Surf Lifesaving titles yet the NRL play before crowds and the Adelaide Fringe is to go ahead as the 500+ ban doesn't officially start until next week. Obviously atm it is up to the organisers of individual events and some are playing it safe while others aren't.

Meanwhile overseas the Head Coach at Arsenal FC has tested positive and the entire club including the first team are self isolating. They will all obviously be tested asap but you wonder what will happen if a couple of the players test positive. Will Arsenal be suspended from the EPL?

fu** the news does not get any better does it?
I haven't even used my triple captain or bench boost in EPL DT yet ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Prime Minister is going to the Sharks game. He said as much in his presser today.

I knew someone would drag Cronulla into this ! ;) Not a good look for poor old Cronulla as it looks as if ScoMo delayed the ban until next week just so he could go and watch Cronulla play the Bunnies.

I knew someone would drag Cronulla into this ! ;) Not a good look for poor old Cronulla as it looks as if ScoMo delayed the ban until next week just so he could go and watch Cronulla play the Bunnies.
I don't really follow league much but if I did it would be the Sharks.
Yeh that's what I thought as well.

Obviously we hope not but it's a logical assumption.
I'm sure the AFL will be monitoring it closely.

Not that they would know anything until up to 14 days afterwards. Takes a long time to show symptoms.

If it’s bad enough to lockdown from Monday then it’s already bad enough. There would be thousands of sleeper cases so the sooner we act the better. Lock this mother down.

lol so ****ing dumb. Here is why:

1_4kOJv8hmd5VFPcBL1mywsw.png

Last edited:
lol so ******* dumb. Here is why:

1*4kOJv8hmd5VFPcBL1mywsw.png

This is not necessarily representative of what will happen in Australia. as there could be other factors, e.g. weather, that distinguish us from existing hot sports.

Even later news from the UK. Someone at Chelsea FC has tested positive for COVID-19 so they are also self isolating. With Arsenal and now Chelsea under a cloud the EPL is in danger of being suspended. Liverpool are that far in front they should call the rest of the comp and focus on the FA Cup.

This is not necessarily representative of what will happen in Australia. as there could be other factors, e.g. weather, that distinguish us from existing hot sports.

The mechanics are exactly the same regardless of the factors that contribute to virulence (or lack of as the case may be). Additionally, we are heading into cooler months. In any case that point is moot as we have already seen the exact same multiplication of confirmed cases as was seen early on elsewhere where there are now 10,000 or more confirmed cases - with person to person transmission now being found to be the cause in almost all new cases.

It has happened and is continuing to happen in many other countries, some with similar climates, housing arrangements etc. (albeit less dry).

Our only mitigating factors is that our population is quite small, and our housing arrangements tend to be low density compared to other countries.

We need to make complete use of the fact our country is isolated through strict travel bans, and early lockdown. Get rid of it now, and we can continue on while everyone else still battles with it because they didn't act soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back