News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh f*n great. Do I jump on the treadmill or just sit happily in the knowledge that one of my legs could probably feed the family for a month?
Can you please shave your legs first and start rubbing oil on them morning and night.

Try and stay stress-free so the glycogen content of your muscle is high. Do you want your family to have a juicy eye fillet or mutton they need to add to a soup?

As I’ve said previously it’s fairly easy to skew stats if you’re only testing for the most severe cases..

As I’ve said previously it’s fairly easy to skew stats if you’re only testing for the most severe cases..
Indeed.

Who the **** knows how many there are in reality

Indeed.

Who the fu** knows how many there are in reality

If that is the case then it's less of a worry. If many cases are so mild they get missed then the death rate is over estimated not under estimated. That would be good.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and people will ignore the "she'll be right" inner talk that Australian's typically have. Now's not the time to show people how tough you are by coming into work or shopping while you are under the weather.

****, I just inadvertently gave 'The Project' an idea for their next toxic masculinity hit piece.

If that is the case then it's less of a worry. If many cases are so mild they get missed then the death rate is over estimated not under estimated. That would be good.

This has to be the case. Lack of testing (relatively speaking) the world over would mean that swathes of asymptomatic or mild cases are going unreported or unnoticed.

After weeks of confinement to their apartments because one person in the building had tested positive for coronavirus, they were throwing a party to celebrate his recovery and their release.
It was Feb. 24, and Mr. Wang, a resident of Xuzhou, in Jiangsu province, appeared to have emerged victorious from a month long battle with the illness. Sixty-five residents of his building gathered downstairs to greet Wang with bouquets of pink flowers, a cake with a flamingo on it, and a red banner that read: “With strong neighborly feelings, we welcome you home.”

Three days later, though, Wang tested positive for the coronavirus again. He was re-hospitalized and his neighbors were locked down once more. His current condition is unknown.
Wang, whose full name has not been disclosed for privacy reasons, is one of more than 100 reported cases of Chinese patients who have been released from hospitals as survivors of the new coronavirus — only to test positive for it a second time in the bewildering math of this mysterious illness.

Have you seen that bucket of water tweet and analogy someone posted that Tef shared? I get the idea but It has heaps of potential to fu** up and one single point of failure that is massive.

A lot of what we do is suck it and see, but when it comes to the lives of people I am surprised that a conservative government isn't more... conservative.

AFL shoud ignore their contractual obligations and look after the welfare of the fans and players.

They absolutely need to suspend the season.

And only recommence when Ben Brown is back at full fitness.
I'd been going to suggest suspension til LDU was back but that might be a bit extreme. (May happen though.)

Yeah it will come , I know Deakin Uni fairly well . They will announce shortly only essential staff to attend their sites. People are a tad dramatic and they won’t shut the place down as they have 20 yr old research going on . The mighty maintenance team will still be in attendance , although rumour has it their fearless leader may lock himself in a bunker and direct from there😳
RMIT have advised their community that they're using the coming week to move to online delivery.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it it. I know for the Netherlands where they have 1135 cases. The actual number of cases is most likely around 6000 (modelling/extrapolating).
This is both good (lower death rate) and bad (spreading the virus) and a very good reason to limit contact with others to prevent cases numbers exploding (need to lower that curve!!!)

Some sage advice guys. Don't get corona-ed out. Not good for anybody's mental health.

Take some time to play with the kids, get out your old c.d's and records, read that book you bought but haven't started, watch that movie, garden, ring an old friend.

Worry about it when you watch the news or need an update.

We will get through. We are " SHINBONERS "

Cheers 👍😎🇦🇺

After weeks of confinement to their apartments because one person in the building had tested positive for coronavirus, they were throwing a party to celebrate his recovery and their release.
It was Feb. 24, and Mr. Wang, a resident of Xuzhou, in Jiangsu province, appeared to have emerged victorious from a month long battle with the illness. Sixty-five residents of his building gathered downstairs to greet Wang with bouquets of pink flowers, a cake with a flamingo on it, and a red banner that read: “With strong neighborly feelings, we welcome you home.”

Three days later, though, Wang tested positive for the coronavirus again. He was re-hospitalized and his neighbors were locked down once more. His current condition is unknown.
Wang, whose full name has not been disclosed for privacy reasons, is one of more than 100 reported cases of Chinese patients who have been released from hospitals as survivors of the new coronavirus — only to test positive for it a second time in the bewildering math of this mysterious illness.
Haven't a lot of those incidents been dismissed as errors in testing rather than some ever-evolving illness?

If this entire thing has reminded us of anything it's that news coming out of China should be taken with a pinch of salt. They tried to suppress information nonstop and it was only the people that were recording information and letting it get through.

Let's not forget the video of police demanding a Chinese citizen remove and rescind a tweet just because he was telling people what was actually happening in Wuhan.

AFL shoud ignore their contractual obligations and look after the welfare of the fans and players.

They absolutely need to suspend the season.

And only recommence when Ben Brown is back at full fitness.
That is ridiculous and you know it. The season should not commence until Ben Brown is back and LDU has had 4 months of solid training.

Haven't a lot of those incidents been dismissed as errors in testing rather than some ever-evolving illness?

If this entire thing has reminded us of anything it's that news coming out of China should be taken with a pinch of salt. They tried to suppress information nonstop and it was only the people that were recording information and letting it get through.

Let's not forget the video of police demanding a Chinese citizen remove and rescind a tweet just because he was telling people what was actually happening in Wuhan.
The USA reported zero new cases in the latest WHO situation report. I have more trust in China's numbers than the the USA at the moment.

The USA reported zero new cases in the latest WHO situation report. I have more trust in China's numbers than the the USA at the moment.
When did it become a USA vs. China issue?

I know the media are trying to paint this as a east vs. west "they started it"..."no you did"

Governments lie. China suppressed the severity of this for a long time. I'm not sure we should be trusting the news from a communist country. They're about as reliable as Russia's "we're all sweet here. No issue"

Hopefully some good comes of this whole sorry episode and afterwards the world realises that people get much more work done from home than in the office. No interruptions at home and apps have improved the quality of video-meetings. It would take a huge amount of pressure off transport systems world-wide if there was a greater acceptance of working from home for people who really don't need to be at an office, for example.

Obviously many workers have to be physically present - their commute times would fall significantly if others worked from home more regularly.

As has been mentioned here previously, unfortunately what you get in offices - the public service for sure - are people who want physical meetings to build their networks and power. These people go to as many meetings as possible, try to dominate and actually do very little real work. When these people 'work' from home they get agitated and bored because they actually can't do real work for very long. These people are far better at playing political games and building networks - unfortunately they usually end up as deputy secretaries and other senior managers at least in the public service. They don't like people working from home because they want to continually assert their authority over people in meetings and in other office situations.

But my hope is that this could change because you really can get so much more work done from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back