Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbing banding in this game is at its worst man. Just finished my Carlton career mode, and have only played about 5 games that were decided by more than 10 points. The Semi-Final I just played was the WORST.

Adelaide Crows vs Carlton at the Adelaide Oval.

Game starts off very low-scoring. Adelaide wasted a lot of opportunities in front of goal in the first quarter, and I kicked 2 goals.

QT: Adelaide 1.5 (11) Carlton 2.1 (13)

Second quarter starts off like the first quarter, low scoring. Later in the quarter, Adelaide manage to kick 6 unanswered goals and I can’t even manage to get my hands on the ball.

HT: Adelaide 7.6 (48) Carlton 2.3 (15)

I make a comeback quite easily, I think I managed to hit the front at the 15 minute mark or something crazy like that. As soon as I hit the front, Adelaide kick 2 unanswered, then it’s goal for goal after that.

3QT: Adelaide 11.7 (73) Carlton 9.7 (61)

Adelaide kick the first goal of the last quarter, but I just completely controlled the game after that. Paddy Dow kicks a goal at the 20 minute mark, giving us a 79-96 lead. Game over. Except it wasn’t. Adelaide kept getting rubbish free kicks inside 50, and I couldn’t mark or touch the ball or get a free kick milk the clock, resulting them to kick 4 unanswered goals.

Final Results: Adelaide 16.7 (103) Carlton 13.8 (96)

Although it was fun to play, AI rubber banding seriously needs to stop. I don’t want all of my games to be decided by under 10 points, I want some blowouts, especially in the sim league I’m doing.

At this time, yes, an unlicensed product would not be viable because the stores wouldn't stock it.

AFL Live was a passion project, we made no money from AFL Live, in fact we didn't get paid for one year of it's development - it's a long story but we were told to stop making the game but continued to make it anyway (FIFA actually has a similar story - they were told to stop making V1.0 of their game by head office at EA but kept making it :) ).

Regardless of making the game or not, we have passion for the sport, and will continue to financially support it, especially at this time. We are a Foundation Partner of the AFLW, and the major sponsor for this Thursday night, a pity it now will be a "virtual" event: (My money would be on Prespakis.)

View attachment 861981
Was Live 1 delayed by a year or 2? It got announced in December 2008, if I'm not mistaken for a 2009 release, then pushed to 2010, and then finally 2011.

You can really feel the lack of advanced knowledge about AFL coming out in the product. I think somebody once pointed out that they're all rugby guys and it kind of shows.

Some of the errors are things that people who know footy just wouldn't ever make, like calling free kicks "penalties". It's not technically wrong, but no actual footy fan would ever call it a "high tackle penalty". There are just those little things that creep in that remind you that footy brains aren't making the game.
It’s probably a good explanation as to why there are so man bewildering player ratings.

Great work. It's crazy that there can be considered more than 150 players worthy of an 85+ rating in the AFL. You've rightly displayed there wouldn't even be half that number.

150 sounds like a big number without context but if you looked through the list of the AFL’s top 150 players I’d imagine most of them deserve an 85 plus rating.

There’s 396 best 22 players in the AFL I think 150 of those having an 85 plus rating is pretty fair.

150 sounds like a big number without context but if you looked through the list of the AFL’s top 150 players I’d imagine most of them deserve an 85 plus rating.

There’s 396 best 22 players in the AFL I think 150 of those having an 85 plus rating is pretty fair.

150 players works out to roughly 8 players per team. There are some pretty s**t AFL teams out there. I would’ve thought only the top 4-6 teams would get near 8 players above 85.

Like you used to think you were on PC ?
You've joined big footy to troll me or remind me of something... ? Either one I don't care, either add to the conversation or return to the sand pit.

I asked a question and it got answered with common sense.

Was Live 1 delayed by a year or 2? It got announced in December 2008, if I'm not mistaken for a 2009 release, then pushed to 2010, and then finally 2011.

Definitely delayed a year, because we were finishing it on our own dime.
PS: Good times on here back then, a lot of stuff people asked for ended up in the game.

They'd want to worry about satisfying the Australian market before worrying about America. If that was the case they're even more deluded than we thought. But in their defence, I highly doubt it. The closest Americans have to AFL is Fifa, which also has free kicks.

It's an oversight by a team that are more familiar with a sport that has penalties in its lingo. Plain and simple.

If you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras.
I hear that but you can double your sales through the international market.

In Rugby Union Free kicks and Penalties are very different.

Have you guys ever lobbied or considered a sales pitch to an AFL department re investment and funding?
Probably the only way a really good version of the game ever gets made.

Any of us AFL gamers can help lobbying the AFL to try make this happen I reckon. I'd suggest letters to the AFL Consumer Products Department first. The more the merrier. Sales pitches understandably are more for the publisher/developer, but people from the gaming public chiming in with well constructed and impassioned feedback to the AFL could certainly help get it over the line in future.

PS: Good times on here back then, a lot of stuff people asked for ended up in the game.
Not the sock height requests though. Not the sock height requests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does go to show how time and effort invested means a decent experience, I did find this game very playable after a patch, can't remember which one but the matches were challenging...unlike the current game, the AI is still trying to hit the barn door from two yards, was this tested at all?

Not the sock height requests though. Not the sock height requests.

People use this as a running gag, but in all seriousness, it's actually pretty important when customising. It really helps to add to a player's uniqueness. :p

On another note - I managed to have my first advantage paid today! :) From a push in the back after a hanger attempt.

I was playing against my son, he went the official West Coast side and I had made a custom West Coast legends side and we duked it out. Was so much fun! I've abandoned using the targeting/lock on system and just use my own judgement and find lose men to kick to. It's sooooo much better. Just takes a bit of confidence and getting used to doing it yourself.

Little Phil kicked 5 and man, I did a good job making him. He was a little ant, running into space and had Scotty Cummings pass to him perfect so Matera could dribble through the goal.

Had a lesser rated side and beat the official team by about 5 goals. My son goes on and on about ratings, but it matters little when you WANT IT MORE!! :p

Good times. :)

Does anybody know if this game includes international competition?

The original AFL Evolution included the AFL International Cup format, does this version?

Does anybody know if this game includes international competition?

The original AFL Evolution included the AFL International Cup format, does this version?
Yes it is in the game. Names and Guernseys are made up, but the competition itself is in the game.

How do I reliably stop my players from constantly playing on from marks? So many opportunities for goals have turned into turning around and handballing/booting the ball into the crowd instantly. I thought it was from button mashing but I've made sure the last input I give is to choose to mark instead of spoiling but it continues to happen.

Is there a way to control the player selection better? I'll have a player sprinting towards the ball when the game suddenly switches control to a player on the opposite side, who then proceeds to run away from the ball leaving my opponents open.

I played NBA Live 97 and have pumped duck knows how much money into the NBA the past 23 years. Games, jerseys, tickets, merchandise, subscriptions to heaps if shut. List goes on. I’m sure lots of NBA and soccer fans were introduced by a game.

The AFL is pretty forward looking but backwards on not pumping in money. And it won’t happen for a while now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back