Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Thom Zimny won for best Director of Outstanding Variety Special Pre Recorded but Springsteen on Broadway lost out the Emmy for Outstanding Variety Special Pre Recorded to James Corden's Carpool Karaoke - When Corden met McCartney Live from Liverpool.

Last edited:
Springsteen has said he is touring Australia in 2020

'We'll be getting out there!' Bruce Springsteen announced this week that he plans to tour Down Under in 2020, following the release of his latest album, Western Stars

'It's a joy to come, so hopefully late next year we'll be getting out there,' he told

Not an official confirmation but obviously are planning something. Late next year is October or November as near and then post Thanks Giving he plays close to home. Or more than likely if its happening, then in January or February 2021.

The other day Ch 9 celebrity reporter interviewed him the other day, said Bruce had said that he made the film because he wasn't going to tour the album (Western Stars) and then asked if Oz fans would ever see him on stage soon, he said he was going to record an album with the band soon, and some time after that would look at playing again, and of course love coming to Oz and "its become a great, great place for us with a great audience for us there," .... "so hopefully late next year, we'll be getting out there.

Watch 3 minute interview at this SMH link. I'm still getting used to seeing 9 and Fairfax papers linked up.

The intent is there, but nothing has been set in concrete.

Satellite radio SiriusXM is free to listen to atm. They have a Springsteen station (#20) that plays songs, interviews and live performances 24/7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you including Live versions or just Studio or both? Lots of new Live content since the first list

Have all of the older (pre-90's) shows on FLAC HD, and a few others after that. Getting them into Roon is a work in progress.

qsSrzdI.jpg

Yep and during lock down I will play them in order to help pass time.

Why 102? Can't split last 3 songs? Why the hell not?
Couldn't bring myself to remove 2 songs.

I will post the first batch later today.

Are you including Live versions or just Studio or both? Lots of new Live content since the first list
I've made my choices off live recordings as that what I'm listening to.

Yeah, a lot has changed!

102) Valentine’s Day (Tunnel of Love)

Valentine’s Day is beautifully heartbreaking. Ironically, it’s not a song you’d want to hear on Valentine’s Day.

The imagery in the lyrics is subtly powerful and doesn’t pop out at you as it does in other songs (Lost in the Flood as an example).

The simplicity of it done alone on the piano is something that should be highlighted – and that is no sleight on the final cut that made it on Tunnel of Love.

He really loves this girl, it becomes more evident than ever in the bridge “What scares me is losing you”

I’ll be saying this a lot, but it’s such a shame that we don’t see songs like this appear anymore.

101) Reno (Devil’s & Dust)

Reno’s subject matter is definitely not for the conservatives. It’s a song that really doesn’t travel far musically. But, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It’s hard to justify why I like Reno more than other songs – and to some it will raise eyebrows when some songs which have been omitted are taken into consideration – but the simplicity with it I feel is something that shouldn’t be understated. Not all songs require the flash and flair that some others carry, nor the depth in storytelling of others. Reno’s simplicity makes it shine, quietly in the corner, at the back of the classroom.

Our character finds himself in a hotel room with a hooker where he is sexually pleasured. The imagery is quite explicit and is abundantly clear, but to him, sex is merely a thing and seems entirely meaningless as his “eyes drifted out the window, out on to the road below.”

In the second verse our character begins to daydream, or remember (?) about incidents with another woman, Maria. And it appears Maria he holds in quite high esteem. She is obviously a former lover or something and someone who held a great deal of meaning to him, especially when we consider what is happening while he’s having these thoughts.

While our protagonist may physically be in that room, emotionally and physically, he could not be further from it. And those final two lines put the nail in the coffin that this meeting have been any more meaningless if it attempted to be.

100) Brothers Under The Bridge (’95) (Tracks)

I feel like Bruce could just have an album about songs that are derived from wars, whether it be Vietnam, Iraq or wherever, he could easily fill an album with that subject matter.

The fact that it’s a freakin outtake highlights how deep – and great – his catalogue truly is.

The line about one of their friends burning death due to his own campfire is scary and confronting.

The acoustic guitar is haunting throughout and the brushes on the snare are a perfect accompaniment. The horns to close the song give it that real military feel.

I find the below performance to be captivating.

99) Out In The Street (The River)

The River just feels like one big party album for the most part, an album where you want to dance like nobody is watching and sing at the top of your lungs.

Out In The Street encapsulates those feelings perfectly. It bursts with excitement and pops with fun from its seams. It makes you look forward to the weekend, it makes you want to get through the 9-5 because whatever is happening on the weekend is going to be worth it.

This guy is at home Out In The Street “meet me out in the street I just feel alright!”. It’s hard not to get caught up in the joy that this song unleashes, and sometimes everyone needs that.

The ESB are brilliant here.

98) Lonesome Day (The Rising)

Lonesome Day signalled the renaissance of The E-Street Band. It is the opening track of The Rising which was the first release of a full album with new material The E-Street Band since Tunnel of Love back in 1987 - a 15 year hiatus.

When I first fired up The Rising, this got me right away. I was only 15, and I was young, naïve, inquisitive and impressionable. My dad hounded me for months to listen to this album, and I kept dismissing him every time he did. He’d asked me to listen to things previously and I’d never liked them, and I thought this would duly follow suit.

After about four months I relented, and I will sit here quite gladly and say I enjoyed quite a few humble pies. More on that another time, though.

This ticked all the right boxes – it had force, but wasn’t too strong. The opening violin gives me a tremendous sense of hope and relief.

Its resilience and repetitive cries of “it’s alright” shows that things can be OK, irrespective of what happens. People get through things, and life can go on.

Also much prefer the original live arrangements of this song

97) Death To My Hometown (Wrecking Ball)

It’s hard to not be overwhelmed with Death To My Hometown’s wall of sound. Upon first listen I remember being awe struck how full everything sounded and I loved what was unfolding before my ears.

The horns obviously make the song with the melody, but that would be doing a disservice to everyone else. Morello adds his own element, the bass thumps and the beat is BIG.

The River just feels like one big party album for the most part, an album where you want to dance like nobody is watching and sing at the top of your lungs.

I once heard a radio DJ describe it as an album that made you want to slit your wrists!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back