Footy has a Mark Robinson problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of an indictment that there is no obvious challenger spoiling to topple him from his perch.

I suspect Robbo possesses a hell of a lot of interesting knowledge and would be held in higher regard if he dropped the "suspenseful" ponderings and packed as much information as possible into his allotted time. Even opinions. Not sure Whateley would be the ideal offsider for this format.

He only scratches the surface of most topics and pads his content out with amateur dramatics. More interested in being a character than a doyen.
Mick Warner 100% wants his job.

The show has been in decline for quite a while, mainly due to Robbo being a buffoon.

Last night for example, his first question to Don Pyke and Bucks was "what's your favourite pizza" FFS.

The format is getting stale also.
Having current players on like Reiwoldt and Treloar pretty much give you nothing.
I like both, but they can really only trot out generic answers like "Richmond are flying,
"we really respect Collingwood" etc etc.

They use a lot of filler also.
Could easily cut it back to 3 days per week.
Monday review
Thursday preview

Tues & Wed are superfluous.

Talk too much about off-field stuff trying to diagnose/predict
What i would give for a decent show that focuses on the game on the ground.

The show has been in decline for quite a while, mainly due to Robbo being a buffoon.

Last night for example, his first question to Don Pyke and Bucks was "what's your favourite pizza" FFS.

Having current players on like Reiwoldt and Treloar pretty much give you nothing.
I like both, but they can really only trot out generic answers like "Richmond are flying,

I agree with cutting it back to 3 days per week.
Besides that, your lack of respect for TGO is unforgivable.

Had enough of him on twitter.

Can't accept that someone might have a different opinion and ends up slagging them off.

Rohan Connolly is starting to turn the same.

I remember Robbo asking Scott after Geelong had a bad loss something to the effect of "why was your team's effort lacking on the weekend?", to which Scott responded "yeah look judging a performance purely on effort is often something people who are lacking a wider knowledge of the game do". It was an insult that went totally over Robbo's head.

Gil McLachlan on 360 tonight addressing the Coronavirus and Robbo tries to turn the interview into a grilling about McLachlans future as CEO. If that wasn't bad enough Robbo then goes on to ask McLachlan how long this will all last for. Yeah Slobbo, an AFL CEO knows how long corono is going to stay around for. Flog.

Gil McLachlan on 360 tonight addressing the Coronavirus and Robbo tries to turn the interview into a grilling about McLachlans future as CEO. If that wasn't bad enough Robbo then goes on to ask McLachlan how long this will all last for. Yeah Slobbo, an AFL CEO knows how long corono is going to stay around for. Flog.
He’s done some terrible interviews in his day but wow. He’s started the year off with a bang. That was a ******* mess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly Robbo is one of the better ones. There must be a lot of gay executives around, coz there is no way half the sports reporters who are dished up to the public got their jobs through talent alone.

Clearly this season will be difficult, but that's even more reason to make changes. But once we get back in to the regular flow of things it should stay 4 nights, given it will be 3 a lot of weeks due to Thursday night footy.

I think it needs a big shake up with the hosts.

Monday - Robbo and Gerard - continue as is with the odd couple vibe and the coaches. Robbo does watch a decent amount of games and isn't the worst when it comes to actually knowing footy.

Tuesday - Huddo (if available) or possibly Lehmo and Robbo. This is where you let Robbo be Robbo and just sit back and let him bring new energy to whatever the dead story of the week is.

Wednesday - A personal, smart host (ideally Neroli Meadows) makes a panel show similar to ESPN's Jump with a cast of former players, current player guests and a rotating group of journalists - from fox footy or the HS - who have written interesting stories in that week. 3 or 4 dialled in voices just going where the news and reporting takes them.

Thursday - Gerard and David King/G Lyon/N Riewoldt - weekend preview. Rotating co-hosts bring a different flavour to the analysis.

Sadly Robbo is one of the better ones. There must be a lot of gay executives around, coz there is no way half the sports reporters who are dished up to the public got their jobs through talent alone.
Don't have to be gay to enjoy a good time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back