Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People coming from overseas are subject to a 14 day quarantine so not likely to lead to an outbreak, in fact that and the interstate border closures is why we have so few cases.
I doubt this had anything greater than a very minor effect. When borders went up people were already being movement restricted in their various states.

I doubt this had anything greater than a very minor effect. When borders went up people were already being movement restricted in their various states.
No they weren't. I know this becasue we had been travelling Oz and only just came into WA about a week before the boarder closure. At that stage the only restricted travel was to Tasmania. All other states allowed movement within and between states up until about the time the intrastate travel restrictions in WA came in just prior to the Easter holidays.

No they weren't. I know this becasue we had been travelling Oz and only just came into WA about a week before the boarder closure. At that stage the only restricted travel was to Tasmania. All other states allowed movement within and between states up until about the time the intrastate travel restrictions in WA came in just prior to the Easter holidays.
Certainly NSW has never had intrastate travel restrictions. Qld are nuts so not sure there. Vic is a police state but I think intrastate travel is allowed if for a 'reason'.

Certainly NSW has never had intrastate travel restrictions. Qld are nuts so not sure there. Vic is a police state but I think intrastate travel is allowed if for a 'reason'.
This sounds like a travel restriction.

On 30th March, NSW Parliament passed a law "COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement"[345] which limited public gatherings to two people and directed, "that a person must not, without reasonable excuse, leave the person's place of residence." It listed 16 reasonable excuses and took effect from midnight on March 31st.

This sounds like a travel restriction.

On 30th March, NSW Parliament passed a law "COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement"[345] which limited public gatherings to two people and directed, "that a person must not, without reasonable excuse, leave the person's place of residence." It listed 16 reasonable excuses and took effect from midnight on March 31st.
But and its a huge but - there is no restriction on travel within NSW - caravan parks are now open but that is new.In fact the Premier has reiterated several times that there are no restrictions on travel. I know people who travel for work and leisure throughout the state. To be brutally honest there has been a very common sense approach to visiting people - be it family around the corner or 400km away.

The 31 Mar restrictions have been formally stepped back almost weekly. Cafes open for take away after about two weeks 10 guests in early Apr, the 20 etc

To put this in context I guess - after the first week of bedding in restrictions Police have not stopped to question vehicles as they do in Vic as I understand from family down there.
You would read of beaches being closed - but thats only the city beaches (Bondi etc) in general - plenty of surfing and swimming where I live 16 km from the CBD.

Last edited:
Why are people still coming back from Sudan now?
They could be dual citizens or expats who have decided to flee, people who were waiting to finish lucrative work contracts etc. I find it fascinating how many Australians are overseas at one time and how long it takes for everyone to filter back home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could be dual citizens or expats who have decided to flee, people who were waiting to finish lucrative work contracts etc. I find it fascinating how many Australians are overseas at one time and how long it takes for everyone to filter back home.

I wonder if that has kept the rental vacancy rate low. Not everyone has a house to move into when they get back. For all the media stories of people breaking leases, moving back in with the parents etc, the vacancy rate and rental market has been largely unaffected. The biggest hurdle I've heard from that side of the fence was the difficulty in conducting routine inspections and the like.

I wonder if that has kept the rental vacancy rate low. Not everyone has a house to move into when they get back. For all the media stories of people breaking leases, moving back in with the parents etc, the vacancy rate and rental market has been largely unaffected. The biggest hurdle I've heard from that side of the fence was the difficulty in conducting routine inspections and the like.
The vacancy rate was pretty low when this started which helped and rents weren't too high either. I had two properties come up for rent during the lockdown as existing leases ended and rented both within a week for $10 a week more.

Vacancy rate is impacted by a number of factors.

Economic uncertainty does push rents down but it also spooks people off taking the step up from renting to buying, which puts some upward pressure on rents also.

$500k @ 2.5% is only $240 a week in interest and a house worth $500k probably rents for $3-400. But a lease is only a short term commitment.

With internal border closures there hasn't been people moving between states as they normally would. I don't know how WA was going with ins and outs pre COVID (back in mining boom days it was ins > outs, post boom the reverse) but it all ground to a halt. I know a couple of people that were moving back anyway and rushed over in Feb/Mar before the gate shut.

Those people from Sudan are just one lot of thousands of Australian families who have parts of their family spread across the world who have had to make some difficult decisions because of the pandemic. It is not as simple as jumping on a plane.

Those people from Sudan are just one lot of thousands of Australian families who have parts of their family spread across the world who have had to make some difficult decisions because of the pandemic. It is not as simple as jumping on a plane.

Too true. I am stuck in the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back