AFLW Daisy Pearce - New AFLW Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I was about to ask whether Daisy would continue with Ch 7, this from their website.

"It’s unclear if Pearce will continue commentating for Channel 7 when the men’s season begins in March."

You would think not? However it means WC get passive promotion if she does.

I get the temper expectations line of thinking but I will throw this in for thought.

Daisy has come through the system and seen the evolution of the nuisances of how the woman’s style of play has evolved.

There have been three standout woman's Clubs over the journey that have consistently been trail blazers and trend setters in the newly formed woman's league:

Adelaide
Brisbane
Melbourne

Through her time at Melbourne she has seen, up close and personal, just how you go about establishing a winning game plan and game style.
They ( Melbourne) were the game leaders who got overtaken by both Adelaide and Brisbane, then re tweaked their game plan to snatch the ultimate prize last season.

Additionally it would be naive to think that she didn’t have some input into the Geelong Woman’s program this season, as they spectacularly jumped up the ladder and made their first ever preliminary final.

Sure it still remains to be seen if she can coach in her own right on the big stage, but it’s hard not to notice, that success has seemed to follow her wherever she goes.

However the thing that I like more about this appointment from a tactical standpoint, is that she has played and lead as a Captain, in teams for Melbourne that play a high tempo, highly efficient game style.

She undoubtedly KNOW what’s needed to win at that level, it’s just the education and implementation of that knowledge, to the playing group, that we are at this point in time uncertain of knowing if she can do.

Of all the woman’s coaches that we have had previously, NONE had a good grasp of what was needed to win at this level.

I reckon Daisy knows and I can’t wait the see her teach and manage that style of play with our young squad .

Bring it on. 👍

Great news. At this stage the female game is less about structures and game plan, and more about effort and enjoyment. So I think her limited experience is less of an issue than it would be in the mens game, as I'm sure she will bring excitement and the best out of the team.

I was about to ask whether Daisy would continue with Ch 7, this from their website.

"It’s unclear if Pearce will continue commentating for Channel 7 when the men’s season begins in March."

You would think not? However it means WC get passive promotion if she does.

She can do WA games and replace Pav

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First, we stole Reid from them, and now Daisy. There will be a dark pall over Victoria today, as a sleeping giant stirs in the west.
Was going to post the same, also be interesting to see how the meadia knobs handle it, what play or spin they try to add, will DHs like wheatley, lying and the chole s**t on them as they did/do with the men's team.

You'd have to imagine Daisy's relationship and shared experience with Cowan was a fairly significant factor for getting this in motion.

Feels like a lot of strong, symbolic happenings recently at West Coast, hopefully the footholds for a commanding era to come.

This is a significant signing, especially for the AFLW program but also for the WCE organisation more broadly

Daisy Pearce is the biggest name in women’s football who has also managed to make inroads into the man’s game as a commentator and an assistant coach at Geelong

Three other clubs are looking for a women’s coach who would all have jumped at the opportunity to bring Pearce in. That she chose WCE is a huge vote of confidence

Her appointment adds relevancy to the AFLW side and will be a significant boost in their ability to attract and retain players

From a whole of club POV, this appointment along with that of Pyke as CEO, is a positive sign that our administration has woken from the slumber they’ve been in.

Pyke was a result of that change rather than the catalyst in my opinion. The effect he’ll have is still to come when he sits in the big chair next year

Great appointment and wish all the best as we shouldn’t underestimate the task in front of her to get our AFLW side off the bottom end of the ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back