Radio 'You cannot be serious' podcast with Sam Newman, Don Scott and Rod Law

Remove this Banner Ad

So we’ve got Blackface, comparing a dark skinned Malay man to a monkey and a primate, criticising two non white muslim players for their actions after copping abuse, criticising the flying of the aboriginal flag, sniping at Chinese people over Covid, his attack on Goodes for responding after being called an ape, egging on conflict with ethnically African youths, attacks on BLM and the whitewashing of Nicky Winmar. And that’s just after a quick peek at his twitter.

It’s mostly standard Aussie racist fare, just delivered on a bigger platform. With his fellow comments about gays, women, transgendered, migrants, basically any target of conservatives it should be no surprise how he sees the world.

Well when you put it that way of course it sounds bad

If not dislike, at least was meant to cause great offence.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I simply cannot accept an argument that Newman is not racist.

Stop being an idiot.
Justin Zoolander has done it 3 times that we know of and voted back in by the eternally stupid Canadians, multiple comedians including those on In Living Colour and Saturday Night Live have done it. Have these people all done it and meant to cause great offence?
Sam put his opinions forward, he was disgusted with the police brutality and Floyd was a criminal piece of s**t. His tact is not a strong point but I fail to see what is incorrect about either of the things he mentioned.

So we’ve got Blackface, comparing a dark skinned Malay man to a monkey and a primate, criticising two non white muslim players for their actions after copping abuse, criticising the flying of the aboriginal flag, sniping at Chinese people over Covid, his attack on Goodes for responding after being called an ape, egging on conflict with ethnically African youths, attacks on BLM and the whitewashing of Nicky Winmar. And that’s just after a quick peek at his twitter.

It’s mostly standard Aussie racist fare, just delivered on a bigger platform. With his fellow comments about gays, women, transgendered, migrants, basically any target of conservatives it should be no surprise how he sees the world.

We probably have to remember that Channel 9 had blackface on TV as recent as 2009.

Well I will freely admit I didn't listen to the Podcast (maybe I should) so I will take your word for it.

Just don't like Newman and anything he stands for, such as his childish protest about not been able to play golf during COVID19 lock down.

Appreciate your civility on this issue though.

You are YET another example of a society that's lacks discipline - You have no reason to comment on something you haven't seen or heard because it adds nothing to the debate.

I doubt this legal case will go far because not all will have the same opinion as to the rationale of Winmar's actions on that day - My opinion is that by lifting his jumper it was related to racist insults but it's not cut and dried.

You are YET another example of a society that's lacks discipline - You have no reason to comment on something you haven't seen or heard because it adds nothing to the debate.

Sorry for having a opinion Grandpa

Btw hope you enjoyed the Essendon v Carlton game last night x

If not dislike, at least was meant to cause great offence.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I simply cannot accept an argument that Newman is not racist.

It must have been a heavy burden for Syd to apologise

It must have been hard for Lee to live with being branded a racist for 30+ years

One such blow up occurred at a crucial time for Jackson and for Carlton, during the Blues’ Second Semi-Final loss to Collingwood in 1970. Syd was reported for striking Magpie defender Lee Adamson, and seemed likely to be suspended for the rest of the finals. Enter Carlton President George Harris, who persuaded Jackson to tell the tribunal that Adamson had racially abused him. Syd complied, pleading not guilty due to extreme provocation. To Jackson and Carlton’s relief, the tribunal accepted Jackson’s story and exonerated him. Years later, Syd owned up to the truth and apologised to Adamson, saying that while Adamson didn’t say what Jackson said he did, there were many others who had overstepped the mark, so justice was done in the end.

The podcast is just entertainment in the end. There's really no need to get riled up about someone else's thoughts or words. Although it does appear that so many people don't have any real meaning in their own lives they find meaning and purpose in being outraged by entertainment.

It's ok to disagree, and move on.

With an American judge on too...

An American judge from the South. They probably thought he would appreciate it.

All seriously that was a real interesting view of mindset. Even though I’d say most of society had moved on from that kind of humour Ch 9 still thought early 90’s Hey Hey its Saturday style humour was what people would be interested in. Boy they got a wake up that night.....

Problem for some of the current AFL/media establishment is they too haven’t moved on from that era as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall vividly people told Harry c jr to piss off and gtfo of Australia. It’s just a joke etc.

There was much discussion and debate about whether it’s offensive or not.

As others have said it was an educational moment and everyone learned from it. Even if a person did t change his or her views (blackface isn’t offensive) they did listen.

Sorry for having a opinion Grandpa

Btw hope you enjoyed the Essendon v Carlton game last night x

You have just doubled down on why you shouldn't be debating this issue without listening to the podcast - Maybe address the issue raised in my post, instead of resorting to insults.

this week's guest will have to be someone who doesnt care much

Will be a must listen

7860-CC4-B-C3-F4-4-BC4-8-B31-F6441-B4-C14-D6.jpg

Haha what a wuss.

How can he be surprised that a guy in his 70s behaves the way he's acted since his 40s at least?

Pretty pathetic basically admitting defeat
I haven’t listened to his explanation yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back