Radio 'You cannot be serious' podcast with Sam Newman, Don Scott and Rod Law

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a pretty lazy perspective. Hes be a traditionalist but he has a lot of common sense

"I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS."
"WILL YOU SHUT UP!!"
"DON'T CALL AGAIN"

Being a ‘traditionalist’ is fine and yes, he has brief flashes of common sense, but too often he presents as just a bitter, angry old man.

As for Scott, he’s always been a bit weird.

sources indicated that Sheahan was considering quitting the podcast after one more episode where he was expected to set the record straight

Just my 2c.

My hunch is that they will begrudgingly offer some form of unconditional apology, and the legal action will end there.

Mike is probably too scarred (and scared) by the whole drama, and will bail on the podcast to protect his commercial and other interests.

If that happens, I can't see any reason why Sam and Don wouldn't continue with the podcast, but they would need a third wheel - a "straight man". Another ex-footballer (eg. KB, Rex) wouldn't work so well, and they would be best-served by someone with slightly contrarian views.

Just my 2c.

My hunch is that they will begrudgingly offer some form of unconditional apology, and the legal action will end there.

Mike is probably too scarred (and scared) by the whole drama, and will bail on the podcast to protect his commercial and other interests.

If that happens, I can't see any reason why Sam and Don wouldn't continue with the podcast, but they would need a third wheel - a "straight man". Another ex-footballer (eg. KB, Rex) wouldn't work so well, and they would be best-served by someone with slightly contrarian views.

it would be good if somehow they got Nicky and Wayne on and let them have a crack and apologise for it etc and everyone moved on

Just my 2c.

Who could the third wheel be though? No one who is currently in the media will either be allowed to by their employer or want to because of the guilt by association and they can't just pick some random off the street. Maybe Rod could do it, he seems to pick up their bullsh1t at times.

Who could the third wheel be though? No one who is currently in the media will either be allowed to by their employer or want to because of the guilt by association and they can't just pick some random off the street. Maybe Rod could do it, he seems to pick up their bullsh1t at times.
Ricky Nixon (wish I was joking). They'd need someone who doesn't need to work thats for sure.

The Winmar thing is a mountain out of a molehill. All they did was give their memories of the day.

Yep but it’s a race to find the racist at the moment
I mean mike Sheahan being a racist is a stretch imo

What I will never understand if John Newman had such a close friend of Polly Farmer, why he seemingly has such a toxic dislike/bigotry of black/aboriginal people ?

His comments are simply reprehensible and unforgivable and I find anyone who defends him or Dumb Scott as peanuts. Don't think Cornflakes or Shehean are racist though.

What I will never understand if John Newman had such a close friend of Polly Farmer, why he seemingly has such a toxic dislike/bigotry of black/aboriginal people ?

His comments are simply reprehensible and unforgivable and I find anyone who defends him or Dumb Scott as peanuts. Don't think Cornflakes or Shehean are racist though.
He doesn't have a toxic dislike of them. If you listen to what he says in context it's clear he doesn't. No doubt he's proactive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If not dislike, at least was meant to cause great offence.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I simply cannot accept an argument that Newman is not racist.

lol so anyone who ever did blackface even if they apologise is racist? i agree its pretty established how people will take that, but what if he literally did it to look like nicky? and was just completely ignorant to the offence cause, i remember rob sitch wearing black face as desmond tutu, magda wore black face, jimmy Fallon, the canadian president, are they all racist for life?

you have decided he is, thats your opinion

lets say you are 100 percent right and he is racist which comments of sams are you finding reprehensible and unnforgiveably racist

Last edited:
lol so anyone who ever did blackface even if they apologise is racist? i agree its pretty established how people will take that, but what if he literally did it to look like nicky? and was just completely ignorant to the offence cause, i remember rob sitch wearing black face as desmond tutu, magda wore black face, jimmy Fallon, the canadian president, are they all racist for life?

you havd decided he is, thats your opinion

lets say you are 100 percent right and he is racist which comments of sams are you finding reprehensible and unnforgiveably racist

Well, taking aside his issues about Winmar and the BLM movement, he almost totally supported Fraser Anning's comments about Muslims deserving to be part of another 'final solution' aka mass genocide. (Although to be fair, Sam did say he thought Fraser went OTT with that statement but he agreed about the so called problem with Muslims in Australia (which is practically non existent)

I am only surprised it took this long for 9 to fire Newman. He is a toxic, hate filled person and a bully.

i dont think you listened to the podcast..... I am very anti racist.. but in this case (and i was there that day too) it wasnt clear what Winmar was saying, it only came out later that day when the media reported it. This really is a nothing thing

(by the way the racist vile from our supporters that day was absolutely disgusting and i dont condone it at all)

Well, taking aside his issues about Winmar and the BLM movement, he almost totally supported Fraser Anning's comments about Muslims deserving to be part of another 'final solution' aka mass genocide. (Although to be fair, Sam did say he thought Fraser went OTT with that statement but he agreed about the so called problem with Muslims in Australia (which is practically non existent)

I am only surprised it took this long for 9 to fire Newman. He is a toxic, hate filled person and a bully.

But thats not what he said about muslims IIRC (happy to be corrected) he said the afl shouldnt get involved in politics, he said muslims tend to colonise not nationalise and dont share common interests with what we are on about - thats nothing about genoicide support that I recall

so which comments can you point to that show he is racist toxic dislike of black people etc, im not even saying you are wrong, i only listen to the podcast so he could have said heaps I'm forgetting or not aware of

i dont think you listened to the podcast..... I am very anti racist.. but in this case (and i was there that day too) it wasnt clear what Winmar was saying, it only came out later that day when the media reported it. This really is a nothing thing

(by the way the racist vile from our supporters that day was absolutely disgusting and i dont condone it at all)

also i need to relisten, but i still think sam mostly told mick to answer and stop skirting the issue, and activists hijacked it, did he give an opinion on what nicky meant? thought only don did

But thats not what he said about muslims IIRC (happy to be corrected) he said the afl shouldnt get involved in politics, he said muslims tend to colonise not nationalise and dont share common interests with what we are on about - thats nothing about genoicide support that I recall

so which comments can you point to that show he is racist toxic dislike of black people etc, im not even saying you are wrong, i only listen to the podcast so he could have said heaps I'm forgetting or not aware of

Well I will freely admit I didn't listen to the Podcast (maybe I should) so I will take your word for it.

Just don't like Newman and anything he stands for, such as his childish protest about not been able to play golf during COVID19 lock down.

Appreciate your civility on this issue though.

Well I will freely admit I didn't listen to the Podcast (maybe I should) so I will take your word for it.

Just don't like Newman and anything he stands for, such as his childish protest about not been able to play golf during COVID19 lock down.

Appreciate your civility on this issue though.

you too mate, we all dont have to agree, would be pretty boring, if we can just discuss it we all get further, (but its easy to get agro I know i do too often)

yeah golf, i dont get wanting to play it ever :p

My impression of Don Scott has always been that he's different, rather than intentionally controversial. I remember him telling KB on-air to come over and have a bong with him, he was carrying around a handbag back in the 70s, and The Front Bar has repeatedly played that clip where he goes on about how Footscray is the worst place. He is even brutally honest about his 'saviour' role at Hawthorn, he calls that a load of nonsense IIRC. He even said he was disturbed by the power of his own oratory to control people's emotions, as he riled up the crowd at that Camberwell Town Hall. It reminded him of fascism.

So maybe his comments here are made in that same fashion. He's just a guy who has no filter, and doesn't think of how his words could be perceived.

That expresses a toxic dislike of a race does it?

So we’ve got Blackface, comparing a dark skinned Malay man to a monkey and a primate, criticising two non white muslim players for their actions after copping abuse, criticising the flying of the aboriginal flag, sniping at Chinese people over Covid, his attack on Goodes for responding after being called an ape, egging on conflict with ethnically African youths, attacks on BLM and the whitewashing of Nicky Winmar. And that’s just after a quick peek at his twitter.

It’s mostly standard Aussie racist fare, just delivered on a bigger platform. With his fellow comments about gays, women, transgendered, migrants, basically any target of conservatives it should be no surprise how he sees the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back