Autopsy Rnd 4 - Blues beat Bombers by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Really liked how we played apart from our kicking into the forward line. Essendon look a good intercepting side and we butchered the ball going forward. It looked like a lot of careless, near enough is good enough kicking. Apart from that I thought our handball game looked the best it has in decades, it was excellent, particularly compared to last year when I remember saying we had no handball game at all. Thought our physicality was alright too which was good.

Overall I liked the footy we played but we dominated the game and should have won by a lot. Struggling to make the most of it and score goals, I thought our kicking needs to be better going inside. Having guys like Curnow, McKay and Silvagni out didn't help but I thought it was more about our delivery than who was out.

Docherty - Starred, he's in AA form.
Cuningham - Had an outstanding game pushing more up the ground.
Gibbons - Thought he was great playing as a high half forward but is still yet to play as a true mid. Kicking could always be tidied up but some of that side of his game was great.
Walsh - Back to his best I thought.
Murphy - Played ok and better later in the game as is often the case with Murphy. Played more inside which is ok as Essendon are not a physical side.
Cripps - Was ok but below his best.
Curnow - Thought ed was pretty good.
Setterfield - looks much better playing in the center. He's a bit light on size but when he plays with effort and aggression he makes up for it.
Simpson - Awesome, love his attack on the contest and his effort.
Williamson - Nearly back to his best, some of his good long kicking was back on display.
Casboult - Played a really good game. Just always giving a target.
SPS - He was good, great on the outside but I would like to see a harder attack on the ball. He'd be the perfect player is he had Simpsons attack on the contested ball. For those wondering why he gets no midfield time it's this, he skirts around the contest and doesn't attack the footy in straight lines and with speed. When he learns to embrace the contact side of the game he will be a complete and very good player.
Newnes - The opposite to SPS, doesn't have much finesse but is a good hard batler. Goes in hard and tackles hard when he has to but lacks genuine speed and polish just a little. I can see why he is playing ahead of other potential wingers and that is because he's harder at the contest and man and he's a strong tackler.
Plowman - Does some great things but does a lot of really poor things. Think his spot in the side is safe for now but I would not say it's set in stone.
Martin - Very quiet and a lot lower intensity compared to last week when he starred. Was he sore? Seemed to get very little time in the midfield.
Pittonett - Love his game, does a lot of Physical, clean and clever things and is driving our midfield which is going well. Even with all rucks fit I would argue that he is our best ruckman. Boy he played a good game.
Weitering - Just does his job and does it really well. Another top game.
McGovern - Wasn't as clean and polished as he would like to be but he contributed and played a fair game.
Betts - Very quiet game, was shut down adequately.
Philp - Very very fumbley but I feel that this will go away with time. Didn't look out of place otherwise but he needs to clean up the ball handling.
Jones - Really liked his game, love his attack on the footy and his kicking is so sure.
Silvagni - Got punched out of the game. Really dirty stuff so we were one down all game.

Coaches' Votes

8 - Levi Casboult (CARL)
8 - David Cuningham (CARL)
8 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
4 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)
1 -
Jordan Ridley (ESS)
1 - Mitch McGovern (CARL)

Who got the 4-4 votes then......come on take a swing, ill go:

5. Casboult - Cuningham
4. Doc - Doc
3. Cuningham - Casboult
2. Pitt - Pitt
1. Ridley - McGov

Really liked how we played apart from our kicking into the forward line. Essendon look a good intercepting side and we butchered the ball going forward. It looked like a lot of careless, near enough is good enough kicking. Apart from that I thought our handball game looked the best it has in decades, it was excellent, particularly compared to last year when I remember saying we had no handball game at all. Thought our physicality was alright too which was good.

Overall I liked the footy we played but we dominated the game and should have won by a lot. Struggling to make the most of it and score goals, I thought our kicking needs to be better going inside. Having guys like Curnow, McKay and Silvagni out didn't help but I thought it was more about our delivery than who was out.

Gibbons - Thought he was great playing as a high half forward but is still yet to play as a true mid. Kicking could always be tidied up but some of that side of his game was great.
Murphy - Played ok and better later in the game as is often the case with Murphy. Played more inside which is ok as Essendon are not a physical side.
Setterfield - looks much better playing in the center. He's a bit light on size but when he plays with effort and aggression he makes up for it.
Williamson - Nearly back to his best, some of his good long kicking was back on display.
SPS - He was good, great on the outside but I would like to see a harder attack on the ball. He'd be the perfect player is he had Simpsons attack on the contested ball. For those wondering why he gets no midfield time it's this, he skirts around the contest and doesn't attack the footy in straight lines and with speed. When he learns to embrace the contact side of the game he will be a complete and very good player.
Newnes - The opposite to SPS, doesn't have much finesse but is a good hard batler. Goes in hard and tackles hard when he has to but lacks genuine speed and polish just a little. I can see why he is playing ahead of other potential wingers and that is because he's harder at the contest and man and he's a strong tackler.
Plowman - Does some great things but does a lot of really poor things. Think his spot in the side is safe for now but I would not say it's set in stone.
Martin - Very quiet and a lot lower intensity compared to last week when he starred. Was he sore? Seemed to get very little time in the midfield.
Pittonett - Love his game, does a lot of Physical, clean and clever things and is driving our midfield which is going well. Even with all rucks fit I would argue that he is our best ruckman. Boy he played a good game.
McGovern - Wasn't as clean and polished as he would like to be but he contributed and played a fair game.
Philp - Very very fumbley but I feel that this will go away with time. Didn't look out of place otherwise but he needs to clean up the ball handling.
Jones - Really liked his game, love his attack on the footy and his kicking is so sure.
Silvagni - Got punched out of the game. Really dirty stuff so we were one down all game.
Really good rundown and perfect descriptions of SPS & Plow. Just one thing I disagree with. The Saddler doesn't play with aggression for mine.

Really good rundown and perfect descriptions of SPS & Plow. Just one thing I disagree with. The Saddler doesn't play with aggression for mine.

I agree but when he does he's good. It's not consistently there though. Like so many of our players it's his guage as to how well he is playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TL:DR we won campaignery like it ;)

Don't think anyone has highlighted it but the spoil with a little over a minute on the clock where he came off his man, double fisted the ball forward which spilled free and resulted in the DC mark typified his fighting spirit when the game was on the line

While Kade in not the same quality as the other Carlton players to reach the 300 game milestone, he has given it his all for so long through difficult times that the others never had to endure. Will always be a very special Carlton player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back