Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point.

So why bring him into the club?

Not being smart, just trying to understand the thought process behind his recruitment.

Its only taken 7 games for them to almost put a line through him, so this deficiency wasn't that hard to ascertain right from the start.......was it?

Why have they put a line through him?? He played seven matches in his second AFL season and has been selected this week.

Far from a line being put through him.

And I get the emotional argument is most of us on this board like CC but to me it's an invalid excuse for poor logic. As I have said even if Steven is getting gifted games that a younger player should have he is getting them at the expense of Fogarty/Cockatoo/Close/Evans etc (you could argue the same for Simpson if he wasnt now in the team) as they are like for like replacements for the role he is playing.

Charlie is not a half forward or a small forward he is an inside mid and he is being kept out by Menegola Guthrie and Selwood, now the first two are in career best form and dropping either for Charlie would be madness and the third is our captain.
Now would I give Charlie a run of games now with Selwood out? Yes
Would I drop Steven for him? heck no, if i was dropping Steven it would be for someone who is actually capable in our forward line (not Charlie) as that is mostly where he is playing.

Agree with this.

People are forgetting that alot of kids who get games in their first 1-3 seasons often get them through versitility of being put on a forward flank or pocket and being given small percentage of game time in the middle. They dont get games in their first year or so as 100% pure mids.

If constable is to hold his spot in the best 22, he has to remove from the side a midfielder who plays 100% through the middle which is always a senior player... That is a difficult task to do.

Players like fogarty, close, simpson, parfitt have minutes in the centre and also rotate forward. Constable only plays as an inside mid and has no forward craft, its midfield 100% of the field time or bust.

Not saying that is a bad thing for him either, just makes it tougher to coddle him through AFL early in his career.

A couple of things..when CC was drafted Menegola was nowhere near as good as he is now..even Guthrie was inconsistent compared to how and Parfitt was 19..all of those things have changed so circumstances can..it doesn't mean drafting him was the wrong call.

Also when you pick late in drafts you are picking guys with flaws so you pick ones who have afl attributes in some areas but flaws in others that you think you can open out (miers and his kicking as an example) now CC clearly has some class attributes as a mid but his lack of versatility means he needs to get the endurance to play high minutes and impact defensively there because he can't play anywherr else..we may have thought at the that we could develop his fitness and we still might think so.

My point is still atm would I bring him in for a forward when a lack of forward line impact is a bigger problem for us than inside mids? No that's square peg in a round hole stuff.

Im assuming the sane reason he was highly rated and a huge ball winning accumulator hia draft year before being a draft ”slider” to pick 36 is the same reason they have been working on his game in the reserves.

Probably swayed strongly out of context.
We find it hard to fit you in another role or with joel and paddy in the middle as you share similar traits, we want you to work on other areas of your game to be able to find a spot doing another role whilst they are there or you may get more opportunity when joel and paddy fill other roles or are gone

It just seems such an unlikely thing for any club to say to any player, especially during the middle of the season, and even more in a season such as this - can you imagine hub life on the road where the players really don't have have an opportunity for time away from others at the club, and you tell a kid, "sorry mate, but you're just not going to play while players X & Y are available".

I could understand if something came up at the end of the season, before the trade period and they said to a younger contracted player, "we see you in our future, but right now you're behind a few other players. We understand if you wish to explore opportunities elsewhere, and if a suitable trade presents itself we'll see what can be facilitated, but we would like to keep you beyond this season"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If tru makes it hard for him to be happy to stay...

How stupid and shortsighted. Selwood is over 300 games. He's not going to be a main mid for much longer.
And we're willing to throw away a promising player that could fill his place.

It just seems such an unlikely thing for any club to say to any player, especially during the middle of the season, and even more in a season such as this - can you imagine hub life on the road where the players really don't have have an opportunity for time away from others at the club, and you tell a kid, "sorry mate, but you're just not going to play while players X & Y are available".

I could understand if something came up at the end of the season, before the trade period and they said to a younger contracted player, "we see you in our future, but right now you're behind a few other players. We understand if you wish to explore opportunities elsewhere, and if a suitable trade presents itself we'll see what can be facilitated, but we would like to keep you beyond this season"
Dunno. Remember before that Sydney final they told Lang he was gone no matter what he did.
I actually think it's a good thing. Cards on the table. No stuffing people around.

Pretty chilled actually.

Looking to organise a protest soon. Bring lots of mates. You don’t even get fined either!
You're safe he's playing.

Another "report" with zero quotes from either player or club.
Sounds like another opinion piece trying to come across as fact.
I think they're trying to drum up some contract talking points. Correct me ifI'm wrong but contract freeze ended a week ago and no signings. No news is bad news if your job is writing news

'If true' are the operative words. Just don't believe it.
Scarlett has said it in media interviews twice IIRC that Constable isn't playing because while they rate him they see him as only really capable of playing as an inside midfielder, that he is behind Selwood and Danger, and they don't feel they have room in the side to carry another one. That's dressed up differently to how SEN have portrayed it but it is basically the same message, and would seem to be confirmed by the circumstances of his selection this week.

Played almost exactly as I expected. He has been under utilised. I’d have him ahead of Narkle and Simpson as a mid, but well behind Parfitt. Narkle should be played at half forward.

Don’t want to lose him, but nor do I think he is going to do Josh Kennedy (Hawks-Swans) to us if he does go.

19 touches, 5 tackles, 9 contested touches, kicked a behind and only 65% TOG.
I am a huge Constable fan, but those numbers don't tell the whole story. Moments of beautiful vision by hand, reminds me of Jobe Watson at the coal face. There was some disappointing decisions in those disposals though. The most concerning were a couple of kicks with time that went almost directly to Freo players. Also the speed around the contest, let alone the open field, is still a worry. Of course the conditions were menacing and plenty struggled to hit the ball well. Willing to cut a decent amount of slack.

Needs more time in the seniors. He is a limited player at present, but with the right balance of outside players to work off him he could really own our inside midfield. Not sure how high to project him as talent. Really want to see more.

I liked his game but the lack of TOG is still a concern If it indicates his endurance hasn't improved...need to see him in the dry to judge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back