Preview Round 11, Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, The Gabba, Sat August 8th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping we would win 2 of the 4 games against Ess, Ric, WBD & North in this block
For me the priority is now beating North with a full fresh best 22 side.

The Club only rested 1 player in Birchall last week. I believe they need to rest as many as possible this week but probably won't happen.
I suspect they will think they can win both games and then get a bye soon after for any player recovery.
But this could backfire big time and in fact result in two losses.

I do hope they rest players this week showing signs of fatigue and their are a few.
Robbo should have been rested after his 200th.
In the on field interview after his 200th game he said and i quote "a short break is going to do me in, but i will see how i go"

Injured/rested: Rayner (inj), Oscar, McCluggage, Zorko, Robinson, Starcivich & anyone else that struggles during the week
In: Rich, McStay, Birchall, Lester assuming they are at 95 %+. Then any one else impressing the coaches to get a run.

At the end of the day it does not matter who you beat as all wins give you 4 points towards the yearly total

Really hoping Fagan doesn't drop Payne. Was his 1st game up against the most inform team in the comp and there was basicall no pressure coming from the midfield. Put Payne on Bruce, Andrews on Naughton (if he is in) and Gardiner on a small -probably Wallis (where he is better anyway). Zorko needs a rocket, absolutly butchered the ball going into f50 and is probably on par with McStay as our worst set shot goal kickers. No point in bring back forwards and/or backs as it is the midfield that is exhausted.

Out: Skinner (omitted), Robbo (rested), Witherden (omitted), Rayner (inj), Berry (rested)
In: McStay, Matho, Rich, Birchall, Robertson

Move Ah Chee to Rayner's spot and put Birchall in Ah Chee's original spot.

Even with Rich and Birchall back I'd like to get some more games into Hinge or Cox at some point to get some better ball users in the team.
Yer, Cedric Cox has got enormous potential IMO, great disposal when on but plays laconically, can have a successful career that way though eg. Darryl White.

I suspect the coach was looking to break the Richmond hoodoo during home and away season. If it was up to me, I'd do the exact same thing as you don't want this total consecutive losses hanging over your head in finals time. We went in with the best available team, too bad it didn't work out.

While Lester is doing a really good job this season, I hope we continue to keep playing Payne. He's our long term fix and we'll need him come finals.
Whilst there were a couple of things, I did not like about Payne's game. And he was really unfortunate not to receive a penalty
Really hoping Fagan doesn't drop Payne. Was his 1st game up against the most inform team in the comp and there was basicall no pressure coming from the midfield. Put Payne on Bruce, Andrews on Naughton (if he is in) and Gardiner on a small -probably Wallis (where he is better anyway). Zorko needs a rocket, absolutly butchered the ball going into f50 and is probably on par with McStay as our worst set shot goal kickers. No point in bring back forwards and/or backs as it is the midfield that is exhausted.

Out: Skinner (omitted), Robbo (rested), Witherden (omitted), Rayner (inj), Berry (rested)
In: McStay, Matho, Rich, Birchall, Robertson

Move Ah Chee to Rayner's spot and put Birchall in Ah Chee's original spot.
Think Payne will not play against Dogs,smaller forward line. I think Big O rested and Eagles in, and agree with the other changes. Sure Payne got bumped off the ball a few times. But looking closely at the reply when 1 v 1 Chol in front of the sticks was nudged with Chols hands in his back, and we saw how Riewoldt jumped all over him, and a couple of seconds later Payne was caught holding the ball. Payne could have easily received two frees,or certainly one. Riewoldt scored 4 goals ( 1 from holding the ball free) not sure if any when Payne was his direct opponent.

At times Payne did look off the pace, but appears to be one of our faster backs, I hope they persist with him for a few games because was not all that bad, you would hope he would learn from the experience and be prepared for the body contact next opportunity. His disposal efficiency was 89% so looked OK when he had the ball. Ballenden just needs one more off season and I think he and Big O are our two rucks, with Connor as ruck/forward. Hugh probably rested this week, looked tired towards the end of the game.

We rolled the dice against Richmond ,in my view it backfired a bit and now we have to scramble a team together on who's left standing from Tuesday night in what is definitely a query game.

I think we need fresh legs for Saturday , Mathieson, Hinge ,Cox ,Dev maybe Bundy if he's fit all in the frame. We went way too tall against the Tigers and need to lop two of them for the Dogs . Hoping Oscar will come up because we sure as hell will miss him if he doesn't . Have to go with Eagles as the back up. I don't trust the others with more responsibility.

I want to see another game from Payne. Rest Andrews and or Gardiner.
Probably won't happen but Oscar needs a break so he is fresh going up against Goldstein the following week.
Who plays ruck does not matter to me for this week. Ballenden/Skinner/Eagles/McStay/Hipwood/Andrews/Ellis-Yolmen share it around.
Skinner goes around again hopefully because they give someone else a rest. That gives him 3 games to show what he has. A small sample but a guide.

Mathieson, Cox, Hinge, Bundy & Eagles can all handle the jump to AFL level

A competitive team v Bulldogs
Possibly lose but that's okay. We need to beat North the following week.

Injured..: Rayner talk of an extra week for Lester
Managed: Gardiner, Robinson, Zorko, Oscar, Hipwood

B: Ah Chee - Andrews - Birchall
HB: Rich - Payne - Witherden

C: Hinge - Berry - McCluggage

HF: Bailey - McStay - McCarthy
F : Christensen - Ellis Yolmen - Cameron

Foll: Ballenden or Eagles - Lyons - Neale

I/C : Skinner - Answerth - Starcevich - Mathieson

EMER: Cox, Coleman, Ballenden or Eagles, T Berry,

One inexperienced player in Defense, Center, FOLL & I/C.

A competitive team v Bulldogs
Possibly lose but that's okay. We need to beat North the following week.

Injured..: Rayner talk of an extra week for Lester
Managed: Gardiner, Robinson, Zorko, Oscar, Hipwood

B: Ah Chee - Andrews - Birchall
HB: Rich - Payne - Witherden

C: Hinge - Berry - McCluggage

HF: Bailey - McStay - McCarthy
F : Christensen - Ellis Yolmen - Cameron

Foll: Ballenden or Eagles - Lyons - Neale

I/C : Skinner - Answerth - Starcevich - Mathieson

EMER: Cox, Coleman, Ballenden or Eagles, T Berry,

One inexperienced player in Defense, Center, FOLL & I/C.
Don't disagree overly although if Ballenden had the majority of ruck responsibility I'd be backing the Dogs.

Might also be a good game to debut Coleman if the coaches think he's tracking well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do we leave out out of:

Rich, Lester, Birchall, Witherden, Ah Chee, Answerth, Bailey.

Or do we push someone up to a wing to replace Robinson, or does Rich go into the middle to in place of a Starcevich/Berry/CEY?

Who do we leave out out of:

Rich, Lester, Birchall, Witherden, Ah Chee, Answerth, Bailey.

Or do we push someone up to a wing to replace Robinson, or does Rich go into the middle to in place of a Starcevich/Berry/CEY?

These 5 should be fresh. Ah Chee seemed to run out the Richmond game as well as anybody else and should probably stay forward. Bailey had a quiet one and might need a rest.

Robbo definitely the one I would look at resting. You can become a liability very quickly if you’re running on empty on a wing. Especially if the opposition rotate players through you.
When Robbo can’t be frenetic and energised he’s no real use to us.
Freshen him up.

I suggested before the Richmond game that we should rest Skinner and play Eagles, thinking that it was a big ask for 2 to 3 game players to back up again 4 days later and I was howled down and my suggestion called silly by a number of posters. I think I have been proved right. Both Skinner and Ballenden have shown something as forwards, but very little as competitive rucks. Check their hitout stats, if you don't believe the game vision. In fact, we could easily have been better off doing a Richmond and rucking Jarrod Berry, CEY or any big bodied mid.

This is the game where we should trial Eagles in the ruck and resting forward, as we do with Oscar. Eagles has turned games when swung into the ruck, once in a twos grand final that we won from memory, and is as good a mark as Ballenden and Skinner... probably a better contested mark. If he doesn't mark it, he has the defensive skills to bring the ball to ground for our smaller forwards. He has the physicality to make an impact in the ruck and could make a huge difference to our finals chances, if Martin does not return. He should have been tried on Tuesday, he must be picked this week, we have nothing to lose and a lot to gain from playing him now. He could be our Marlion Pickett story this year. Not sure if the side is selected tonight, but I'm hoping we give Eagles another chance to play seniors.

I suggested before the Richmond game that we should rest Skinner and play Eagles, thinking that it was a big ask for 2 to 3 game players to back up again 4 days later and I was howled down and my suggestion called silly by a number of posters. I think I have been proved right. Both Skinner and Ballenden have shown something as forwards, but very little as competitive rucks. Check their hitout stats, if you don't believe the game vision. In fact, we could easily have been better off doing a Richmond and rucking Jarrod Berry, CEY or any big bodied mid.

This is the game where we should trial Eagles in the ruck and resting forward, as we do with Oscar. Eagles has turned games when swung into the ruck, once in a twos grand final that we won from memory, and is as good a mark as Ballenden and Skinner... probably a better contested mark. If he doesn't mark it, he has the defensive skills to bring the ball to ground for our smaller forwards. He has the physicality to make an impact in the ruck and could make a huge difference to our finals chances, if Martin does not return. He should have been tried on Tuesday, he must be picked this week, we have nothing to lose and a lot to gain from playing him now. He could be our Marlion Pickett story this year. Not sure if the side is selected tonight, but I'm hoping we give Eagles another chance to play seniors.
I've been saying this all year but had given up hope of him ever being picked.

Seems inevitable now to me. Will be carrying a bit of a load though , plenty ready to dump on him if he doesn't measure up 1st up.

Still won't believe they'll play him till I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back