Preview Round 22 - Brisbane Lions vs Adelaide Crows • Saturday 12 August 2023 • 4:35 PM • The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, Ah Chee doesn't like playing back that much. Fagan said this a couple of weeks ago. Ah Chee is a much better wingman or forward than he is a half-back anyway.

We'll probably see Zorko or Prior in that spot when the team is announced.
Seeing we are a mid short i don't see Zorko playing down back.

It will be very interesting to see our crowd numbers v Crows.
We play 25 minutes before the Matildas game at Suncorp on Saturday.
Broncos v Ells at the Gabba Friday night.
Lions lowest crowd this year at the Gabba was 23,286 v Suns.
I organised a couple of free guest passes online over the weekend and there were very few seats available in and around our section (422) of the ground, had to go into section 423 and 3 rows from the back to get 2 seats together. I have organised multiple guest passes this year and that was the scarcest the seats available have been... albeit the Pies, Demons games were no free pass games.

Tipping a pretty good crowd, high 20,000s IMO. IIRC we clashed with a Broncos game earlier in the season and our crowd was good.

I organised a couple of free guest passes online over the weekend and there were very few seats available in and around our section (422) of the ground, had to go into section 423 and 3 rows from the back to get 2 seats together. I have organised multiple guest passes this year and that was the scarcest the seats available have been... albeit the Pies, Demons games were no free pass games.

Tipping a pretty good crowd, high 20,000s IMO. IIRC we clashed with a Broncos game earlier in the season and our crowd was good.

Each time I’ve tried to do guest passes this year it has been difficult. I’m in section 423 and cant every find anything aside from the back few rows.

I have not been on Ticketmaster site for a while as it kept stating i was a "bot" early this year. No issues last year.
Anyhow had a look and there are not may seats available over the whole ground.
Also noticed when you pick a seat it gives the buyer a 360 degree view that i don't think was there last year.
I clicked on a few and it stated restricted view.
Went through the process of purchasing a ticket. Got through this time without being noticed as a "bot" then cancelled.
So, it looks like a matter of Lions members/corporates/Brisbane cricket club members turning up and it should be a good crowd.

We won't be a mid short if he does and Dev comes in for Prior.
Think if Coleman is still out Prior will stay in. Didnt do anything wrong and would be good for him to play consistently in a position. I also dont see us changing the defensive lineup much.

If Dev is coming in (and I think he should) it really should be from one of the wing/flankers or a forward. That is where we seem to be playing with extras

Think if Coleman is still out Prior will stay in. Didnt do anything wrong and would be good for him to play consistently in a position. I also dont see us changing the defensive lineup much.

If Dev is coming in (and I think he should) it really should be from one of the wing/flankers or a forward. That is where we seem to be playing with extras
Yep makes sense. re Prior. Intriguing that Whiting was saying Coleman a chance but club said another week. Club has been very upfront and quite accurate in its injury lay-off predictions. At least should mean Kiddy is cherry ripe v Pies.

Fletcher would be a very likely candidate for a rest as many have noted.

I wonder if we make another change or two given short break and wa trip. We don't seem to do that, it's the sort of thing Geelong did last year to good effect. We also have a 6 day break before pies so it has the added break of keeping some players fresh for that. Huge 2 weeks for the season so i hope the MC is having a deep strategic think about things. Suspect it will be the usual minimal changes.

Yep makes sense. re Prior. Intriguing that Whiting was saying Coleman a chance but club said another week. Club has been very upfront and quite accurate in its injury lay-off predictions. At least should mean Kiddy is cherry ripe v Pies.

Fletcher would be a very likely candidate for a rest as many have noted.

I wonder if we make another change or two given short break and wa trip. We don't seem to do that, it's the sort of thing Geelong did last year to good effect. We also have a 6 day break before pies so it has the added break of keeping some players fresh for that. Huge 2 weeks for the season so i hope the MC is having a deep strategic think about things. Suspect it will be the usual minimal changes.
Yes I've been big on being more proactive in resting and rotating the list especially around flights and shorter breaks. Definitely should be considered

==================
And the ever-changing Forecast result would be nice if somewhat stressful (might have to ban MacMum from the last game)

2023 AFL GRAND FINAL

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 78 - 77 Melbourne
Melbourne

M.C.G. (VIC)

I might need to do a self imposed ban as the game goes on......unless Fages and the boys have followed my desperate instructions to them, in which case I won't need the services of our Health system (such as it is).....I shall be sitting back with a smile on my face thoroughly enjoying the game :grinv1:

Last edited:
Easy on the eyes (assuming you're actually Shooter McGavin)
Last one out of the pub
Interested in superconducting
Xenomorphs and you have more in common than most realise
Understated ability to troll
Honestly? I wish you were BRAB

Elixuh proud of this one :')

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy on the eyes (assuming you're actually Shooter McGavin)
Last one out of the pub
Interested in superconducting
Xenomorphs and you have more in common than most realise
Understated ability to troll
Honestly? I wish you were BRAB

Elixuh proud of this one :')

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

I'd encourage people to share their own poems about their favourite players in this thread.
Personally, what I always find successful is to ask ChatGPT to write me a poem particularly in the style of William McGonagall, one of the bards in the history of the English language.

Oh, Hugh McCluggage, a player so fine,
On the field of battle, he does shine.
With a leap like a kangaroo, and a swift pass,
He guides the Lions to victory, no one can surpass.

In the land of Brisbane, he roams free,
A football wizard, a sight to see.
With a kick so precise, like a dart from a bow,
He sets up goals that make the fans' hearts glow.

But alas, like McGonagall, I must admit,
Comparing their styles is a humorous fit.
For Hugh's skills are real, no jest in sight,
A champion on the field, with all his might.

So here's to McCluggage, a Lion so grand,
A true football marvel in this sunlit land.
With each match he plays, he earns his praise,
In the annals of footy, his name will blaze.

It will be very interesting to see our crowd numbers v Crows.
We play 25 minutes before the Matildas game at Suncorp on Saturday.
Broncos v Ells at the Gabba Friday night.
Lions lowest crowd this year at the Gabba was 23,286 v Suns.

Any member who doesn't go to the Lions game and watches the Matildas instead is a bum.

I feel like Adelaide are more of a scrappy, contested team. I think we should be playing Lyons this week since our mids have been dominated 2 weeks straight. Need to stop the rot and get some form back.

Yeah on the mindset, I just can't be so sure any more.

Number one, I don't think it will be a comfortable win at all. Adelaide's WORST performance this season against the top 4 teams is a 4 point loss to Melbourne at the MCG. That's their worst. They're 3-3 against top 4 teams. Two wins over Port and one over us. Two close losses to Collingwood.

Also their percentage is 117 which is exceptional, and speaks to the fact that they've actually been a really good team this year who have simply lost a few close games.

So it really comes back whether our guys prepare like they're playing that team, or whether they are preparing to play a team who is, in their minds, "11th on the ladder and can't win away from home". If it's the latter we'll be in a lot of strife. And I just don't know what we're gonna get right now.

I think we've all learnt a bit about modern footy in the last few weeks tho. The cliche has always been "we just didn't turn up on the day". And there's probably still a bit of that.

But after Lachie admitted he didn't dot all the i's and cross the t's leading up to the Suns game, and Fages suggested he was the same leading up to the Hawks game, maybe these days it's more "we didn't turn up during the week".

Prior preparation prevents p!ss poor performance.

This is an outstanding assessment of the Crows, and spot on.
We have had a 1, 2 and 4 point loss, all games in which we kicked for goal liked under 10's.
Win those and we are 4th. Well done.

We have had a 1, 2 and 4 point loss, all games in which we kicked for goal liked under 10's.
i preferred the op's assessment where brisbane win this weeks game by 20 goals personally

Bit of “if my mother had wheels she’d be a bicycle” about this. Every team can do that.

Look at us - lost to the dogs by a couple of points in an absolute scrap, lost to Melbourne by 1 point in a game we really should have won by 5-6 goals easily. Even the loss to you guys, didn’t we kick like 1.9 in a quarter or something ridiculous?

I would be okay with Lyons coming in, but that would be under the proviso that it was Gunston that came out. The problem is when Lyons rests forward and we have him and Gunners pressuring that it becomes a big problem. I also think Lyons defensive run in the middle can be covered by Dunkley. The problem with this setup though is that it's really it or nothing, as Neale and Lyons can't really play anywhere else on the ground.

I feel like the big reason that Ashcroft hasn't been replaced by Dev is that one of his main roles around the ground was to be a link up person when we were exiting our defence. He would quite often bob up around the D50, middle of the ground looking for that chip pass. He could then distribute left or right as he saw fit. (Think about when McKenna misses this kick for an instant goal in response against the Demons). I don't think the coaches trust Dev with this role, instead utilizing McCluggage or Zorko more recently.

I guess overall our clearances aren't too bad, we just aren't as dominant as we were without Ashcroft which means our forwards have to defend more and our lack of pace in the middle can be exposed.

The problem is our two big weaknesses (spread from CC) is Melb and Ports no1 feature and speed across the ground is Colls no1 feature. So we seem to just match up poorly on those teams specifically haha.
Ashcroft is extraordinarily clean, Dev is not. That is why Dev cannot replace him. Lyons is a closer replacement as he is very strong at the contest and clean with his hands. Dev can run all day and is strong and should also be in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back