Preview Round 20 - Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions • Saturday 29 July 2023 • 4:35 PM • Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just not getting it with Kai myself as yet but prepared to be convinced.

This is a game where we can get him on the field for extended periods and see how he goes.
I didn't get the Fletcher selection at the time. Fletch didn't exactly have a "break the door" season in the VFL. However in hindsight it was the right call.
Trust in Fages and Kai.

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't get the Fletcher selection at the time. Fletch didn't exactly have a "break the door" season in the VFL. However in hindsight it was the right call.
Trust in Fages and Kai.

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm no knock on him at all other than on what I've seen this year I'm not brimming with confidence that he's any better than a couple of others. But there's nothing in it really . Interested to see how we use him and Rayner particularly. Kai at least has that unpredictable factor so he could surprise.

Fletcher had class in the 2's you could see it , don't think Kai is as polished nor has the same awareness, different players. I really doubted Fletcher would measure up this year but he's improved in leaps and bounds once he got to the higher level.

Interesting to see if Rayner spends much time on the ball or just centre clearances.

On-ball brigade likely order of minutes would be:

All the time: neale / dunkley

Vast majority: clugga

Rotating through: zorko, bailey

Pinch hitting: rayner, berry

I think that is our plan rest of the year. With no Bailey will see more minutes for Berry and rayner. Just don’t see who else plays mid minutes - i would have gone Dev.

I really hope we don’t role with zorko and neale in there at the same time. Those days should be done

He has had plenty of opportunity this year and just failed to cement a spot. Though he may be like Ben Keays where a move can help him.

This is where I am, I’m starting to think maybe he just isn’t as good as we all thought. As you said it’s not like he’s not had opportunities, and to be honest he’s not really ever played poorly. But look at what (for example) Fletcher has done straight away coming in, the difference with him in the team is tangible. Dev still feels a bit like a hole-filler.

Maybe the coaches know what they’re doing then? The other two players in similar positions (in terms of large fan following) that left were Witherden and Keays. Witho was a bust, and Keays has seen success at Adelaide - but he’s still probably the first midfielder that gets dropped if someone else comes through

SUNS

B: C.Ballard, S.Collins, M.Andrew

HB: D.Swallow, R.Atkins, S.Lemmens

C: W.Powell, S.Flanders, B.Ainsworth

HF: B.Humphrey, J.Lukosius, T.Miller

F: N.Holman, B.King, L.Casboult

FOLL: J.Witts - C, M.Rowell, N.Anderson

I/C: B.Ellis, E.Hollands, D.Macpherson, M.Rosas

EMG: C.Burgess, J.Farrar, J.Sharp, B.Fiorini

In: S.Lemmens, M.Rosas

Out: B.Long (Omitted), H.Oea (Omitted), J.Farrar (Sub)

Wouldn't read to much into Rayner being named on ball , Clugg will be the one getting more minutes in the middle.
McCluggage has been spending plenty of time in the middle recently as is. We'll need rotations from somewhere and no doubt Rayner will spend at least some time on ball this game with both Ashcroft and Bailey missing and no midfield inclusions named.

All the time: neale / dunkley

See this is my concern... Is this even physically possible? I remember the footy world basically going into conniptions last September upon learning Lachie played a whole half of a final on the field. Says to me that it's rare, and even if they could do it, there's still (hopefully) 8 or 9 games left in our season, and it would be so hard to back up week after week like that.

But then I don't follow the time on ground numbers religiously so happy to take on board other perspectives on this 🙂

See this is my concern... Is this even physically possible? I remember the footy world basically going into conniptions last September upon learning Lachie played a whole half of a final on the field. Says to me that it's rare, and even if they could do it, there's still (hopefully) 8 or 9 games left in our season, and it would be so hard to back up week after week like that.

But then I don't follow the time on ground numbers religiously so happy to take on board other perspectives on this 🙂
Sorry should have clarified- all the time they are on the ground they play mid. Not 100% of the game.

Maybe the coaches know what they’re doing then? The other two players in similar positions (in terms of large fan following) that left were Witherden and Keays. Witho was a bust, and Keays has seen success at Adelaide - but he’s still probably the first midfielder that gets dropped if someone else comes through
Keays has been great at Adelaide - but they don’t have the class we do. He has massive energy and enthusiasm, but his disposal is still not great. Very happy he found a home and a career, but I don’t see him as a loss to our team.
Dev may well be the same if he decides to move on (though it was rumoured he was close to resigning a couple of weeks back).

I guess we only lost Will a week early, if not last week surely ACL stadium would have got him! The Suns have played some good games this year, and they can do damage with some of their midfielders, so it could be close if they turn up. We shouldn't drop this one, but then there's been at least 3 this year we shouldn't have dropped either...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey hey, we’re the parking this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Blue car park sold separately on tictec. But I think now sold out

SUNS

B: C.Ballard, S.Collins, M.Andrew

HB: D.Swallow, R.Atkins, S.Lemmens

C: W.Powell, S.Flanders, B.Ainsworth

HF: B.Humphrey, J.Lukosius, T.Miller

F: N.Holman, B.King, L.Casboult

FOLL: J.Witts - C, M.Rowell, N.Anderson

I/C: B.Ellis, E.Hollands, D.Macpherson, M.Rosas

EMG: C.Burgess, J.Farrar, J.Sharp, B.Fiorini

In: S.Lemmens, M.Rosas

Out: B.Long (Omitted), H.Oea (Omitted), J.Farrar (Sub)
Saw it was Sam Collins 100th on the weekend.

Gold Coast have made some horrid recruiting / list decisions in their time but they got that one right.

I wonder whether the Lohmann decision relates as much to long term list planning as to the game this weekend.

I think Kai is a very clever player and like Devrobbo and Lyons has done enough in the VFL to show he has earnt a spot in the seniors. In his last VFL game he spent some time in the second half up the ground (IIRC). Thought he had a high impact with his possessions.

But if the suggestions that other clubs are interestEd in him is true, maybe this is an opportunity for the club to assess what a reasonable contract offer would be?

Hope Kai really shows us his worth and for his sake I hope he hits the score board.

Lions by about 3 goals..

this is a concern but then makes me wonder how the hell Collingwood are going to keep doing what they are doing for 2 whole more months.

McCluggage has been spending plenty of time in the middle recently as is. We'll need rotations from somewhere and no doubt Rayner will spend at least some time on ball this game with both Ashcroft and Bailey missing and no midfield inclusions named.
For the last 3 rounds we have been down one of our 4 regular midfielders of Neale, Dunkley (R17,18), Ashcroft & Bailey (R18).
For rounds 17 & 18 Lyons filled in until Dunkley returned.
Can Bailey when he returns maintain the 40 to 60 % CBA's that Will was doing
consistently.
Time wise i think he will be okay, but will it affect his form.
Following attending the CBA you are usually playing pure midfield for a period of time.
If Bailey can do that time, someone still needs to cover Baileys CBA time.

This week Zorko, Rayner and possibly Berry could take some of the time.
Or they could try out Wilmot and Ah Chee chipping in or one just taking Wills time.
Be interesting to see what the plan is.

1690501859852.png

For the last 3 rounds we have been down one of our 4 regular midfielders of Neale, Dunkley (R17,18), Ashcroft & Bailey (R18).
consistently.
Following attending the CBA you are usually playing pure midfield for a period of time.

Or they could try out Wilmot and Ah Chee chipping in or one just taking Wills time.

View attachment 1757483
This is a great list to see how the coaches view our midfield depth. It shows how little center clearances opportunity both Robbo and Rayner have had this season. It also shows a strong preference of Bailey as the next backup midfielder and then Zorko as the one after that.

It looks like i will have to use the bus to and from Nerang station again.
Paid Blue parking is sold out.
Where we used to park was about a leisurely 10–15-minute walk which was better than getting the bus back to station.
That street and others not available now.
Below map for people to check in case their street parking spot has changed from last year.

1690505913901.png

consistently.

View attachment 1757483
That 97% for Lachie vs Dees stands out - and he seemed cooked at the end. MIght have been an error in management.

That 97% for Lachie vs Dees stands out - and he seemed cooked at the end. MIght have been an error in management.
That was the most CBA's for the Lions this year so not surprising his % was up a bit from his average of 87%.
However, Lachie's TOG was 93% for that game being his highest for the year. His average is 87.2% this year.

Below his Brownlow year 2020 but with Covid we had a shorter year, but it was disruptive none the less.

1690511240361.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back