Preview Round 21 - Fremantle vs Brisbane Lions • Sunday 6 August 2023 • 4:40 PM • Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought after last weeks disaster we'd want to bring in some defensive pressure. Nope...

Robertson is 2nd to Dunkley and 3rd is not even close with tackling skills in the team. Apparently Dev's disposal is terrible. I wouldn't notice it because majority of the team can be quite poor at times. We have Berry running around who has never finessed a kick ever and continues to hospital pass almost every disposal.

Anyway, big game for McKenna needed with no Coleman and Rich. I worry we'll be bombing long all day. Team looks tall compared to Freo

Oh boy... The toys are out of the cot!

Tantrum Crying GIF

I'd like to say the selection of this team surprises me, but no, it doesn't really.

We've really responded to what happened on Saturday by changing absolutely NOTHING. "No worries, let's just rinse and repeat." Surely 3KZ is now charging interest on his mulligans card the club seems to have taken a mortgage out on.

It's like we think Zac Bailey is gonna come in, wave his magic wand, sprinkle some fairy dust around, and everything's gonna be just dandy.

Fair dinkum.

As good a player as Zac is (at his best), swapping Lohmann for Bailey won't be the difference, especially given we have an accompanying downgrade of Prior in for Coleman.

And if it IS the difference, well, all that will do is bring into sharp focus the attitude we brought to the game against Gold Coast.

If we lead by 5+ goals with a quarter to go, I give us a fighting chance of hanging on.

Getting to that point will be the fascinating part.

One thing I do know is that I won't be there this Sunday. I've cancelled my flights, so I'll be watching from the peanut gallery (ie my living room, or the pub!) for the first time since 2021. Simply couldn't justify going all that way only for us to trot out more of what we dished up last Saturday.

Which is a shame, because Perth Stadium is simply spectacular. I took this photo at the opening bounce of the first derby held there, ANZAC weekend 2018. Somehow we ended up with seats in the very back row, smack bang on centre wing. At the time it set the record for the biggest ever attendance at a sporting event in WA.

View attachment 1764844

But I digress.

Dev should be in the team in place of Gunston. Yes he has his warts as well, but he gives us another (close to) full time midfield rotation, will work hard defensively and has decent pace. More importantly it allows Rayner to play as our third tall forward, changing in the middle as the need arises.

If we roll with that, we'll beat a lot better teams than Freo in Perth let me tell you. If we don't, we'll struggle to beat a drum, and I believe we'll be exposed accordingly tomorrow arvo. Hopefully I'm wrong.
After that rev up, all we get is one suggested change to the team selected?
Surely you can do better than that Grassy?

I thought after last weeks disaster we'd want to bring in some defensive pressure. Nope...

Robertson is 2nd to Dunkley and 3rd is not even close with tackling skills in the team. Apparently Dev's disposal is terrible. I wouldn't notice it because majority of the team can be quite poor at times. We have Berry running around who has never finessed a kick ever and continues to hospital pass almost every disposal.

Anyway, big game for McKenna needed with no Coleman and Rich. I worry we'll be bombing long all day. Team looks tall compared to Freo
Lester should enjoy the wide open spaces of Optus Stadium. Expecting him to step up again. Last weekend he took a COMPETITION HIGH 15 MARKS and he worked hard all game to get into position and help transition the ball out of defence. With his huge tank and high football IQ, I am expecting a massive game from Lester. At least we all know he will be trying his very hardest.

Lester should enjoy the wide open spaces of Optus Stadium. Expecting him to step up again. Last weekend he took a COMPETITION HIGH 15 MARKS and he worked hard all game to get into position and help transition the ball out of defence. With his huge tank and high football IQ, I am expecting a massive game from Lester. At least we all know he will be trying his very hardest.

Lester is hungry - got hungry playing in the twos.

Lester is hungry - got hungry playing in the twos.
Exactly! I think a few of our ‘comfortable’ types need to be given a taste of the same invigorating tonic. Might stimulate their appetites.

If we win this I’ll be surprised. That’s where I’m at with us away from home and based on the level of inconsistency within games that a lot of players show. We have so many players that go drifting in and out of games.

Need our whole midfield group to lift big time and play 4 consistent quarters. Got absolutely smashed in the middle last week.

No more excuses and no more learnings to be had now. I can handle losing but not when the opposition is hungrier than us when we have a premiership to play for!!

We’ve already thrown away top 2 let’s try secure top 4 at least!

After that rev up, all we get is one suggested change to the team selected?
Surely you can do better than that Grassy?
Fair 😂

But I do think changing a tall for a small is more than a simple change of personnel.

I also believe it will make a huge difference to our run. It probably shouldn't, but that's where our group's at right now.

Fair 😂

But I do think changing a tall for a small is more than a simple change of personnel.

I also believe it will make a huge difference to our run. It probably shouldn't, but that's where our group's at right now.
I am not saying I disagree.
I fail to see how Gunston makes our team stronger at the moment.

So with Collingwood losing to Hawthorn and if Geelong beat Port Adelaide tonight I hope the boys are aware of what's at stake tomorrow

So with Collingwood losing to Hawthorn and if Geelong beat Port Adelaide tonight I hope the boys are aware of what's at stake tomorrow
Our problem now is Melbourne given their relatively easier run home(although Blues could get them for sure and possibly Sydney in Sydney). Unfortunately for us though, even if we do get up tomorrow it’s possible (probable) Demons go ahead of us given they have NM.

Not overly worried about Port, they’re really starting to struggle.

Last edited:
Our problem now is Melbourne given their relatively easier run home(although Blues could get them for sure and possible Sydney in Sydney). Unfortunately for us though, even if we do get up tomorrow it’s possible (probable) Demons go ahead of us given they have NM.

Id almost prefer Port to win to make it harder for Geelong to make the 8 and cause havoc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know who our travelling emergencies are for the game tomorrow?
Robertson, Lohmann and Fullarton were all at training today.

Also got it from the horse's (Lachie) that he got scratched up quite a bit last week at the hands (claws?) of Touk Miller.

Our problem now is Melbourne given their relatively easier run home(although Blues could get them for sure and possibly Sydney in Sydney). Unfortunately for us though, even if we do get up tomorrow it’s possible (probable) Demons go ahead of us given they have NM.

I don’t mind playing Melbourne at the G, I think we can beat them there in a QF. Get that MCG monkey off our back again and then play the PF at the Gabba.

Ok so now we know if we win we move to 2nd.

Let’s not have any learnings from this game. Or players saying they ‘weren’t prepared’ or weren’t ‘switched on’.

Surely we don’t need any more motivation??
A win we need but it doesn’t guarantee second.

Let’s not have any learnings from this game. Or players saying they ‘weren’t prepared’ or weren’t ‘switched on’.

OMG you would like to think so but hey they had a bite at this motivational cherry not so long ago and didn't seem to think the taste was sweet enough...

Not if Melbourne pump North as expected.
Either way we would pass Port ...

Might not move to second even if we win.

If Melbourne pants North, they may well overtake us on percentage,

The permutations and combinations for the rest of this season are insane.

Pies are suddenly looking vulnerable, especially with a few injuries setting in.

If they fall in a hole and we win our last four, it's conceivable that we could top the table, bearing in mind that we actually do play them in the second last round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back