Preview Round 21 - Fremantle vs Brisbane Lions • Sunday 6 August 2023 • 4:40 PM • Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just putting it out there early that I really like the look of Tunstill , developing a natural midfielder's build. He can play.

Just needs another year or two in the system to strengthen up.
I like him as well, IIRC pre draft he was described as a inside contested mid who could also go outside if needed, in other words a balanced mid.

Shown great glimpses in the VFL but not consistency even at that level yet.

I think you're turning a blind eye to just how bad Devs disposal has been. I still think he can grow into a solid AFL level player, but am really not convinced he's best 22 right now. I'd like to see him sigh and think he could be but he's not there yet.
It’s far from the worst I have seen but you also seem to refuse to look at the positives that he can/could bring to the team, particularly with defensive abilities, speed and run. 3 things that we lack, especially with Ashy out.

You are a funny one Nunez. You are unswervingly positive about so many players, but not Robertson. You mention his disposal and imply that poor disposal is what is holding him back, but his Disposal Efficiency numbers aren’t that bad. This year Dev’s disposal efficiency is 70.5% which isn’t too shabby for a midfielder. Rayner’s disposal efficiency is 72.9%, Bailey’s is 71.3%, Lincoln McCarthy’s is 58.3% and Dunkley’s is 72.5%, Berry’s is 71% and McCluggage’s is 67.4%
I can’t work out why we can’t extend the same encouragement and patience to Robertson as we did with Rayner. Robertson is only 22 and he really looks like a natural footballer. He is quick, courageous and he tackles hard.

I think you're mistaking unswervingly positive with balanced. I also find that a little rich from you given you were trying to argue Lester is a better player than Ballard ;)

Did you know if you handball the footy to a players shin it counts as a positive disposal? So does a hospital handball.

For me, his technique is fine, but he panics under pressure (or perceived pressure) which has stopped him from cementing w place. I'd like him as a pressure forward and would have him in the team over Gunston playing that role, but ultimately he is behind every other player in our 22 for a reason.

I think you're mistaking unswervingly positive with balanced. I also find that a little rich from you given you were trying to argue Lester is a better player than Ballard ;)

Did you know if you handball the footy to a players shin it counts as a positive disposal? So does a hospital handball.

For me, his technique is fine, but he panics under pressure (or perceived pressure) which has stopped him from cementing w place. I'd like him as a pressure forward and would have him in the team over Gunston playing that role, but ultimately he is behind every other player in our 22 for a reason.
Well I suppose time will tell.

But don’t you think if he was given more opportunity he probably wouldn’t panic under pressure and would adapt to the speed of the game at AFL level?
My issue, and I believe others as well, is that he (and some others) don’t get the same luxuries as other players, are dropped based on form when others aren‘t despite similar or worse form. But then in the other breath, when the pressure was really on last year and it was finals time, Dev came straight in for a player who hadn’t been performing but had been given 10+ mulligans.
While I am frustrated with Gunston’s continual selection, I don’t believe he will play a final for us.

But don’t you think if he was given more opportunity he probably wouldn’t panic under pressure and would adapt to the speed of the game at AFL level?
My issue, and I believe others as well, is that he (and some others) don’t get the same luxuries as other players, are dropped based on form when others aren‘t despite similar or worse form. But then in the other breath, when the pressure was really on last year and it was finals time, Dev came straight in for a player who hadn’t been performing but had been given 10+ mulligans.
While I am frustrated with Gunston’s continual selection, I don’t believe he will play a final for us.

He's absolutely in my 22 ahead of Gunston - so I'm not saying he shouldn't be there.

Really though, he has the same issue in the VFL and while he is improving and growing in this area (hence us offering him a multi year contract), he is not going to take the place of any of our mids or of our wings. He has had opportunities and got finals last year in a big role. I am hopeful he'll get another chance this year and take it, but take it he must. This is his fourth year.

He's absolutely in my 22 ahead of Gunston - so I'm not saying he shouldn't be there.

Really though, he has the same issue in the VFL and while he is improving and growing in this area (hence us offering him a multi year contract), he is not going to take the place of any of our mids or of our wings. He has had opportunities and got finals last year in a big role. I am hopeful he'll get another chance this year and take it, but take it he must. This is his fourth year.
The issue for me is that to take it he isn’t able to have one poor game, he has played well enough IMO (and by in your by the sounds of it) to justify his spot but one down game and he gets dropped. All this while not often being able to play his preferred/natural role in the middle. It seemed to me, and others with Ashy out he was a no brained to bring in but instead, we used Zorko who unfortunately is on his last legs and others who weren't able to make an impact.
I think we are a better team with Clugg on the wing rotating to a HFF and Dev in the middle than with Clugg on the inside and Dev on the outside.

The issue for me is that to take it he isn’t able to have one poor game, he has played well enough IMO (and by in your by the sounds of it) to justify his spot but one down game and he gets dropped. All this while not often being able to play his preferred/natural role in the middle. It seemed to me, and others with Ashy out he was a no brained to bring in but instead, we used Zorko who unfortunately is on his last legs and others who weren't able to make an impact.
I think we are a better team with Clugg on the wing rotating to a HFF and Dev in the middle than with Clugg on the inside and Dev on the outside.

He's actually played 9 out of 20 games and given he missed the first few weeks with injury, that is over 50% of games either starting on the field or as the sub this year - a fairly substantial opportunity. In those games he had some poor and some rock solid games - a common theme in all was his lack of quality disposal. If he didn't get the nod over Will, it's because the club don't have faith in him as a mid with his disposal. That's not to say he can't find himself back in with an opportunity, but that's what's keeping him out as a midfielder.

What am I saying that is incorrect?
Incorrect is not the right word … ‘debatable’ is a better one. Of the emergencies, I think that Robertson offers more than Lohmann and Tunstill. In terms of his superior pace, ability to run out the game and perform in midfield rotations, I would prefer Robertson to Zorko.
The time will tell statement relates to whether or not Robertson gets a good run at playing senior football, either with us or elsewhere and what sort of career he has.

He's actually played 9 out of 20 games and given he missed the first few weeks with injury, that is over 50% of games either starting on the field or as the sub this year - a fairly substantial opportunity. In those games he had some poor and some rock solid games - a common theme in all was his lack of quality disposal. If he didn't get the nod over Will, it's because the club don't have faith in him as a mid with his disposal. That's not to say he can't find himself back in with an opportunity, but that's what's keeping him out as a midfielder.
he’s been sub 4 times this year I believe? Which means really limited minutes with how we use our sub. Our coaches certainly favour skills over athleticism and grunt, so I agree that could be what is keeping him out, but a lot of really solid midfielders (some arguably great) have been more athletic than skilled. How often have we seen Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Oliver amongst others give it straight back to the oppo?
Im not saying he should have got the nod over Will, there is a clear class gap there. But he could be his replacement albeit used differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect is not the right word … ‘debatable’ is a better one. Of the emergencies, I think that Robertson offers more than Lohmann and Tunstill. In terms of his superior pace, ability to run out the game and perform in midfield rotations, I would prefer Robertson to Zorko.
The time will tell statement relates to whether or not Robertson gets a good run at playing senior football, either with us or elsewhere and what sort of career he has.

I'd have him in above Kai and Jimmy too for what it's worth.

I'd also be open to seeing what we'd look like with Robertson on the ball and Zorko back to half forward.

I just think it's fairly clear to wee what is holding him back as an AFL footballer.

he’s been sub 4 times this year I believe? Which means really limited minutes with how we use our sub. Our coaches certainly favour skills over athleticism and grunt, so I agree that could be what is keeping him out, but a lot of really solid midfielders (some arguably great) have been more athletic than skilled. How often have we seen Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Oliver amongst others give it straight back to the oppo?
Im not saying he should have got the nod over Will, there is a clear class gap there. But he could be his replacement albeit used differently.

I take your point, but I don't really think it's fair to compare three Brownlow medalists and an all Australian to Dev. I'd say a better comparison is Ben Keays (ironically).

Fwiiw I'm not a fan of Dev LT but I love his endeavour and he has some good moments.

I don't think he's any answer for what we're lacking but with Ashcroft out I suppose he deserves another opportunity.
His endeavours is what won me over, especially in a team who lacks that endeavour/hard edge at times.
Jaspa has the same endeavour. Clugg and Cam said on one of the podcasts that they think Jaspa will be an elite inside midfielder because of his quick hands which probably hasn’t been on show so far. Maybe he goes in the rotation inside?

His endeavours is what won me over, especially in a team who lacks that endeavour/hard edge at times.
Jaspa has the same endeavour. Clugg and Cam said on one of the podcasts that they think Jaspa will be an elite inside midfielder because of his quick hands which probably hasn’t been on show so far. Maybe he goes in the rotation inside?

I don't know if he's physically ready for that yet, and honestly is such a good wingman I'm not sure I want to change what's working.

I take your point, but I don't really think it's fair to compare three Brownlow medalists and an all Australian to Dev. I'd say a better comparison is Ben Keays (ironically).
He’s obviously not in their class but without checking the stats all 4 would have similar disposal efficiency/changers %s to Dev I would imagine.

He’s obviously not in their class but without checking the stats all 4 would have similar disposal efficiency/changers %s to Dev I would imagine.

Honestly if Dev can just stop looping his handballs and kicks, as well as handball to players feet he'd probably be a best 22 lock. He has the technical skill to do so, just needs to work on the mental side of his game. I'm not sure if he'll get there, but am hopeful. Compare him to someone like Fletcher who would probably hit a target even if a train was about to run him over and it's clear to see it is quite instinctive for some and not others. I do hope it'll come with maturity but who knows.

I don't know if he's physically ready for that yet, and honestly is such a good wingman I'm not sure I want to change what's working.
I don’t disagree but with Ashy out, and needing a player who presents something different to our one paced midfield it could be an option we look at. I see Bails coming in to play more mid minutes, but if not or he doesn’t do it well, then will be back to the no Neale, no Lions based on last weekend, so we may have to look at something else if we aren’t going to have Dev play Dunks‘ role and Dunks spending more time ball hunting.

I don’t disagree but with Ashy out, and needing a player who presents something different to our one paced midfield it could be an option we look at. I see Bails coming in to play more mid minutes, but if not or he doesn’t do it well, then will be back to the no Neale, no Lions based on last weekend, so we may have to look at something else if we aren’t going to have Dev play Dunks‘ role and Dunks spending more time ball hunting.

Absolutely agree, although I am hoping Rayner actually gets some time to shine this week.

Absolutely agree, although I am hoping Rayner actually gets some time to shine this week.
I would love to see that as well. Hopefully that’s why we decided to play Gunston this week and stick with our usual 3 tall setups instead of Rayner playing as the 3rd.

I’m going to the game this weekend. I’m very excited, I haven’t seen a live game since the 2017 international rules series at Subi Oval. I cant remember the last live AFL game I went and saw. Last footy game at an eliteish level I saw was the WAFL GF when South Freo won the premiership with Jeff Farmer playing in 09.

I’m going to the game this weekend. I’m very excited, I haven’t seen a live game since the 2017 international rules series at Subi Oval. I cant remember the last live AFL game I went and saw. Last footy game at an eliteish level I saw was the WAFL GF when South Freo won the premiership with Jeff Farmer playing in 09.
Have fun! 🤞

You are a funny one Nunez. You are unswervingly positive about so many players, but not Robertson. You mention his disposal and imply that poor disposal is what is holding him back, but his Disposal Efficiency numbers aren’t that bad. This year Dev’s disposal efficiency is 70.5% which isn’t too shabby for a midfielder. Rayner’s disposal efficiency is 72.9%, Bailey’s is 71.3%, Lincoln McCarthy’s is 58.3% and Dunkley’s is 72.5%, Berry’s is 71% and McCluggage’s is 67.4%
I can’t work out why we can’t extend the same encouragement and patience to Robertson as we did with Rayner. Robertson is only 22 and he really looks like a natural footballer. He is quick, courageous and he tackles hard.
Yeah Nunez ... you are a funny one.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back