Preview Round 22 - Brisbane Lions vs Adelaide Crows • Saturday 12 August 2023 • 4:35 PM • The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1691394686366.png

Back home for round 22. It feels a bit like groundhog day as we face off against yet another team vying for a spot in the top eight.

While the Crows form has been erratic away from home this season, it is now sudden death for them to keep their season alive so I expect them to throw everything at us on Saturday.

For the Lions, we are in a tussle for a top two spot and like the other sides in the top four are struggling a bit to find our best form. Despite this, we have been strong at home all season and I expect this trend to continue.

Both sides with a lot to play for!

The things that I am looking out for this week…

Midfield form
I think our biggest concern now is midfield form. A few indifferent weeks in the middle. Being unable to win clearances, particularly at centre bounce, puts us in a lot of strife and means we must sweat turnovers, never ideal. We seemed to do ok in the Fremantle game in the fourth quarter so that was positive.

My view is that our current midfield woes are mainly down to dips in form rather than strategy. With Will out we lose a bit of flair and creativity and need Lachie and Dunks to elevate their form. I think we will see that this week.

Many have said it is time to give Dev a go, some have said it is unconstitutional not to. While I am not against the idea, I think we need to accept he has his limitations, especially in regards to his ball use (obviously he will develop over time!). This seems like the right opponent to test him against.

1691394714155.png

In any event, our midfield is going to be an interesting area to keep a watch on over the next three weeks.

Tex and Payne
Don’t worry I made sure I got his name right!

Tex is one of the in form forwards of the comp at the moment and keeping him quiet is a tough job but is one of the keys to us winning on Saturday.

1691394739726.png

Up steps Jack Payne.

1691394747514.png

Jack has had an excellent year and I expect he will probably get the Tex matchup. He is ready for it and will do a great job, but will need help from those around him.

Having watched a few Adelaide games, it all comes down to supply and pressure on the ball further up the field. So it would be great if the midfield could help out so that Jack can shine.

Fast start
Another thing to watch out for is a Crows fast start. They piled on five goals against Gold Coast last week to lead by 29 points at the first break.

Listening to Fagan’s post match press conference, I think the boys will be ready for a hungry Crows team with nothing to lose.

Rayner hitting form
Can Cam back up his good form?

Rayner has had a few quiet weeks but seems to be hitting form at the right time of the year, with a nice performance against Freo.

We saw against Freo that his skill by foot when around the ball is elite. If Eric, Joe and King Gunners are playing well up forward then that is my preference. Strong big body. Excellent instinctive running patterns. Highly skilled around the ball.

Getting Cam’s confidence up heading into finals will be big for us.

1691394799474.png

Dawson and Dunks
I’m going to level with you. I have no idea where Jordan Dawson plays and I couldn’t pick him in a police line-up. HOWEVA, I always hear his name brought up as one of Adelaide’s best players and apparently he is their Captain too (???). Anyway, assuming he plays somewhere on ball (again mea culpa if he is in fact one of their key forwards), I assume we send Dunks to him in what could be a great matchup.

1691394822438.png 1691394829484.png

The Suns sent old man Swallow to Dawson last week which proved effective with Dawson only managing 8 disposals to halftime. Curbing his influence on the game and ability to distribute the ball will be another key for us.

Role players
As we get to the end of the home & away season another thing I am looking out for are our role players and those guys that are bottom six of our best 23 each week. My sense is this is an area we have really improved this year and will go a long way to winning us a flag.

The guys that I’m referring to in this category include…Wilmott, Linc, Ah Chee, Dev, McKenna, Lester and Fletcher.

King Gunston is back baby
I think we can all agree now that the King Gunners trade has been a success as he single handedly won us the Freo game off his own boot. As John F Kennedy famously said during his Inaugural Address in 1961, “Gunners is back baby”.

What better way to end this preview and show our appreciation than with an acrostic poem to celebrate the great man.

Jumping high, he soars to the sky,

AFL’s stage, where heroes vie.

Crafty moves, he outwits the rest,

Kicking goals, he is truly blessed.

Graving Lions’ pride, he takes flight,

Unleashing talent, pure delight.

Nimble footwork, he dances with glee,

Swiftly navigating, sets opponents free.

Tireless efforts, he never shies,

Onward to victory, he defies ties.

Never backing down, he’s tough as stone.

1691394945858.png 1691394950369.png

Prediction
Lions by 20+ goals.

Thank you for your time and enjoy the game this weekend everyone! Go Lions.

This preview is dedicated to the memories of BRAB & Nunez

Last edited:
View attachment 1767480

Back home for round 22. It feels a bit like groundhog day as we face off against yet another team vying for a spot in the top eight.

While the Crows form has been erratic away from home this season, it is now sudden death for them to keep their season alive so I expect them to throw everything at us on Saturday.

For the Lions, we are in a tussle for a top two spot and like the other sides in the top four are struggling a bit to find our best form. Despite this, we have been strong at home all season and I expect this trend to continue.

Midfield form
I think our biggest concern now is midfield form. A few indifferent weeks in the middle. Being unable to win clearances, particularly at centre bounce, puts us in a lot of strife and means we must sweat turnovers, never ideal. We seemed to do ok in the Fremantle game in the fourth quarter so that was positive.

My view is that our current midfield woes are mainly down to dips in form rather than strategy. With Will out we lose a bit of flair and creativity and need Lachie and Dunks to elevate their form. I think we will see that this week.

Many have said it is time to give Dev a go, some have said it is unconstitutional not to. While I am not against the idea, I think we need to accept he has his limitations, especially in regards to his ball use (obviously he will develop over time!). This seems like the right opponent to test him against.

View attachment 1767481

In any event, our midfield is going to be an interesting area to keep a watch on over the next three weeks.

Tex and Payne

Tex is one of the in form forwards of the comp at the moment and keeping him quiet is a tough job but is one of the keys to us winning on Saturday.

View attachment 1767483

Up steps Jack Payne.

View attachment 1767484

Jack has had an excellent year and I expect he will probably get the Tex matchup. He is ready for it and will do a great job, but will need help from those around him.

Having watched a few Adelaide games, it all comes down to supply and pressure on the ball further up the field. So it would be great if the midfield could help out so that Jack can shine.

Fast start
Another thing to watch out for is a Crows fast start. They piled on five goals against Gold Coast last week to lead by 29 points at the first break.

Listening to Fagan’s post match press conference, I think the boys will be ready for a hungry Crows team with nothing to lose.

Rayner hitting form

Rayner has had a few quiet weeks but seems to be hitting form at the right time of the year, with a nice performance against Freo.

We saw against Freo that his skill by foot when around the ball is elite. If Eric, Joe and King Gunners are playing well up forward then that is my preference. Strong big body. Excellent instinctive running patterns. Highly skilled around the ball.

View attachment 1767485

Dawson and Dunks
I’m going to level with you. I have no idea where Jordan Dawson plays and I couldn’t pick him in a police line-up. HOWEVA, I always hear his name brought up as one of Adelaide’s best players and apparently he is their Captain too (???). Anyway, assuming he plays somewhere on ball (again mea culpa if he is in fact one of their key forwards), I assume we send Dunks to him in what could be a great matchup.

View attachment 1767486View attachment 1767487

The Suns sent old man Swallow to Dawson last week which proved effective with Dawson only managing 8 disposals to halftime. Curbing his influence on the game and ability to distribute the ball will be another key for us.

Role players
As we get to the end of the home & away season another thing I am looking out for are our role players and those guys that are bottom six of our best 23 each week. My sense is this is an area we have really improved this year and will go a long way to winning us a flag.

The guys that I’m referring to in this category include…Wilmott, Linc, Ah Chee, Dev, McKenna, Lester and Fletcher.

I think we can all agree now that the King Gunners trade has been a success as he single handedly won us the Freo game off his own boot. As John F Kennedy famously once said during his Inaugural Address in 1961, “Gunners is back baby”.

What better way to end this preview and show our appreciation than with an acrostic poem to celebrate the great man.

View attachment 1767492View attachment 1767493

Prediction
Lions by 20+ goals.

I'm not crying it's just been raining on my face.

View attachment 1767480

Midfield form

View attachment 1767481

Tex and Payne

View attachment 1767483

Up steps Jack Payne.

View attachment 1767484

Fast start

Rayner hitting form

View attachment 1767485

Dawson and Dunks

View attachment 1767486View attachment 1767487

Role players

I think we can all agree now that the King Gunners trade has been a success as he single handedly won us the Freo game off his own boot. As John F Kennedy famously once said during his Inaugural Address in 1961, “Gunners is back baby”.

View attachment 1767492View attachment 1767493

Prediction
Lions by 20+ goals.

Sick of the Lester argument on a different thread, you hit the next hot button.

🤣🤣 Love your style.

It's disgusting that neither BRAB or I received a mention. Brab is literally shaking.
BRAB hasn't had a good day on this forum. He has been relegated to the second best poster ever and now Elixuh has inflicted further injury by totally neglecting him in his review. Brab would need some comforting after such incomprehensible acts of hostility.

Either Robertson, Tunstill or Sharpe need a go.

I'd go Robertson despite him probably being the worst 'wing' of the three.

Reason being, I believe he is capable of chopping out on the wing for Ah Chee and Berry but can rotate around the ball and add an extra defensive presence around stoppages in the forward 50.

I see our OP has maintained and expanded his devotion to his leige King Gunners.

Guessing that a win of over 120 points would do something nice to our percentage and something horrible to the Crows' confidence :)

I get to go to one game live per year and this is the one this season so since I can't really see who is doing what on field (sad) or hear the commentary (yay) I will be relying on your fine and balanced posting to keep me up to date!

GO LIONS!

Squiggle being wise again this week...
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 94 - 75 Adelaide
Adelaide

Gabba (QLD)
HGA:
Brisbane Lions
+7.5 pts
Ins/Outs:
Brisbane Lions
+0.0 pts

==================
And the ever-changing Forecast result would be nice if somewhat stressful (might have to ban MacMum from the last game)

2023 AFL GRAND FINAL

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 78 - 77 Melbourne
Melbourne

M.C.G. (VIC)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this could be a very tough match. Shorter break from Perth. And a crows side that knows if it wins it is almost certain to play finals. They will give absolutely everything and will likely have Rankine back.

Oscar for Fort, Kiddy for Prior the easy ones.

Fletcher is crying out for a rest. Off a short break seems an absolute no-brainer. So who do we put in?

Option A - another full-time winger. Must admit i haven't been watching 2s but Sharp would be the clear-cut option given his improved form over his last 3-game showing

Option B - tinker with the midfield. Robertson mixes half-forward and inside mid. Wings are Ah Chee / Berry with final spot a mix between Zorko and Bailey. Centre square mids become Neale / Dunkley / Clugga / Dev, cameos from Bailey and Rayner.

Dunkley has to get the job on Dawson who has hurt us before.

The one BIG plus from last time is Payne playing. He can get Walker, Harris to get Thilthorpe and zone off if possible to help out. Lester needs to be on his best v Fogarty. Starce struggled with Rankine last time - could Wilmot be an option? Starce could go to Rachele.

Doesn't seem that long ago that the Crows beat us up at Adelaide Oval, no way we will be going into this game over confident or unaware of what they are capable of at their best.

Very confident of a convincing win.

I think this could be a very tough match. Shorter break from Perth. And a crows side that knows if it wins it is almost certain to play finals. They will give absolutely everything and will likely have Rankine back.

Oscar for Fort, Kiddy for Prior the easy ones.

Fletcher is crying out for a rest. Off a short break seems an absolute no-brainer. So who do we put in?

Option A - another full-time winger. Must admit i haven't been watching 2s but Sharp would be the clear-cut option given his improved form over his last 3-game showing

Option B - tinker with the midfield. Robertson mixes half-forward and inside mid. Wings are Ah Chee / Berry with final spot a mix between Zorko and Bailey. Centre square mids become Neale / Dunkley / Clugga / Dev, cameos from Bailey and Rayner.

Dunkley has to get the job on Dawson who has hurt us before.

The one BIG plus from last time is Payne playing. He can get Walker, Harris to get Thilthorpe and zone off if possible to help out. Lester needs to be on his best v Fogarty. Starce struggled with Rankine last time - could Wilmot be an option? Starce could go to Rachele.
If Fletcher is to be ‘rested’ I would go for option B.
In Oscar - Out Fort
In Coleman - Out Prior
In Dev - Out Fletcher

If Fletcher is to be ‘rested’ I would go for option B.
In Oscar - Out Fort
In Coleman - Out Prior
In Dev - Out Fletcher
i would too

it's a bit of a shame as i want us to bed down some wingers, but as long as berry and ah chee do most of the wing work should be okay

i guess it would be rested but he is not a guarantee coming back - if the new side including dev plays really well keep them for the pies

if it's a bit disjointed i would bring back in fletcher as before the past couple of weeks he has been exactly what we have needed on the wing - and i reckon one of our fastest players?

Our problem at the moment is that we seem to just be carrying too many forwards.

I would classify (from last week's game):

Tall KPD: Andrews Payne Lester
Small Def: Wilmot McKenna Prior Starcevich
Ruck: Fort
Mids: Neale Dunkley McCluggage
Wings: Berry Fletcher Ah Chee
Small Fwd: Cameron McCarthy Rayners Bailey Zorko
Tall KPD: Hipwood Danniher Gunston

The problem is that those 5 small forwards are also all in our top 12-15 players of our lineup, and pound for pound I don't think we have anyone on our list at the moment who would be better.

Even looking at that lineup, it would be difficult to figure out who to remove for Ashcroft, let alone someone to replace him as a like for like. But our midfield needs someone to come in and be consistent at the center bounce.

Here are our forwards at center bounce last week:
Bailey 11CBA 0CC
Zorko 9CBA 0CC
Rayner 2CBA 0CC

The week before (vs Suns)
Zorko 11CBA 2CC (more then McCluggage who has 10CBA 1CC)
Berry 7CBA 0CC
Rayner 4CBA 2CC
Ah Chee 3CBA 0CC

This is IMO a massive flaw in our team that we need to address. Our coaches need to recognize that our midfield hierarchy can't be
Neale > Dunkley > McCluggage > Zorko > Bailey > Rayner as it simply doesn't leave enough center clearance winning mids on the field. CC should have more bigger mids (eg Rayner or Berry) even if they rotate back to their preferred positions after the center bounce (Rayner HFF, Berry Wing).

We should at no point have Neale in the middle without at least one of Dunkley / Berry, and Rayner should be getting 7-8 CC opportunities with Zorko and Bailey being the ones to attack hard to the middle from the HFF rather then him.

Otherwise we need to bring in another actual midfielder, one of Robertson / Lyons / Matheson, someone who can play onball and funnel the ball out to other guys so we aren't relying ln Neale to do all the heavy lifting.

The most obvious one to take out of the team is Fletcher and bring in any one of those guys, but just actually play them as a midfielder.

Our problem at the moment is that we seem to just be carrying too many forwards.

I would classify (from last week's game):

Tall KPD: Andrews Payne Lester
Small Def: Wilmot McKenna Prior Starcevich
Ruck: Fort
Mids: Neale Dunkley McCluggage
Wings: Berry Fletcher Ah Chee
Small Fwd: Cameron McCarthy Rayners Bailey Zorko
Tall KPD: Hipwood Danniher Gunston

The problem is that those 5 small forwards are also all in our top 12-15 players of our lineup, and pound for pound I don't think we have anyone on our list at the moment who would be better.

Even looking at that lineup, it would be difficult to figure out who to remove for Ashcroft, let alone someone to replace him as a like for like. But our midfield needs someone to come in and be consistent at the center bounce.

Here are our forwards at center bounce last week:
Bailey 11CBA 0CC
Zorko 9CBA 0CC
Rayner 2CBA 0CC

The week before (vs Suns)
Zorko 11CBA 2CC (more then McCluggage who has 10CBA 1CC)
Berry 7CBA 0CC
Rayner 4CBA 2CC
Ah Chee 3CBA 0CC

This is IMO a massive flaw in our team that we need to address. Our coaches need to recognize that our midfield hierarchy can't be
Neale > Dunkley > McCluggage > Zorko > Bailey > Rayner as it simply doesn't leave enough center clearance winning mids on the field. CC should have more bigger mids (eg Rayner or Berry) even if they rotate back to their preferred positions after the center bounce (Rayner HFF, Berry Wing).

We should at no point have Neale in the middle without at least one of Dunkley / Berry, and Rayner should be getting 7-8 CC opportunities with Zorko and Bailey being the ones to attack hard to the middle from the HFF rather then him.

Otherwise we need to bring in another actual midfielder, one of Robertson / Lyons / Matheson, someone who can play onball and funnel the ball out to other guys so we aren't relying ln Neale to do all the heavy lifting.

The most obvious one to take out of the team is Fletcher and bring in any one of those guys, but just actually play them as a midfielder.
Lyons for me. He should have been back as a regular a long time ago but now we are missing Ashcroft for the rest of the season & some of 2024, he's a walk up start in my opinion. A true inside mid who consistently wins the ball in clearances which often becomes our main weakness.

Lyons for me. He should have been back as a regular a long time ago but now we are missing Ashcroft for the rest of the season & some of 2024, he's a walk up start in my opinion. A true inside mid who consistently wins the ball in clearances which often becomes our main weakness.
You're not worried about his lack of run defensively ML or you think others can cover for him?

You're not worried about his lack of run defensively ML or you think others can cover for him?
I would be okay with Lyons coming in, but that would be under the proviso that it was Gunston that came out. The problem is when Lyons rests forward and we have him and Gunners pressuring that it becomes a big problem. I also think Lyons defensive run in the middle can be covered by Dunkley. The problem with this setup though is that it's really it or nothing, as Neale and Lyons can't really play anywhere else on the ground.

I feel like the big reason that Ashcroft hasn't been replaced by Dev is that one of his main roles around the ground was to be a link up person when we were exiting our defence. He would quite often bob up around the D50, middle of the ground looking for that chip pass. He could then distribute left or right as he saw fit. (Think about when McKenna misses this kick for an instant goal in response against the Demons). I don't think the coaches trust Dev with this role, instead utilizing McCluggage or Zorko more recently.

I guess overall our clearances aren't too bad, we just aren't as dominant as we were without Ashcroft which means our forwards have to defend more and our lack of pace in the middle can be exposed.

The problem is our two big weaknesses (spread from CC) is Melb and Ports no1 feature and speed across the ground is Colls no1 feature. So we seem to just match up poorly on those teams specifically haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back