News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't post stupid crap like that and I won't call you on it.

FFS.

I'm not even a Buddhist but at its centre it's a more coherent set of thought processes than libertarianism.

Your opinion holds no weight with me whatsoever, but I am repeating myself.

Yet, you continue to serve it up, clearly with the intention of impressing bystanders. You're a poseur, nothing more.

How can you say that with certainty?
View attachment 929392

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The scientists are saying that they have a degree of confidence that all of this second wave can be attributed to the quarantine breaches. Andrews language and actions around the BLM protest absolutely sent mixed messages and contributed to a public sense of complacency but I think it is fairly clear the protest was not the source of our problems.

The scientists are saying that they have a degree of confidence that all of this second wave can be attributed to the quarantine breaches. Andrews language and actions around the BLM protest absolutely sent mixed messages and contributed to a public sense of complacency but I think it is fairly clear the protest was not the source of our problems.

Political animals are jumping on BLM. You’re right, it looks like the horrendous mismanagement of the hotels.

I agree with what you said. It's a combination of all those mitigating circumstances. Why would anyone ignore the BLM protest as a part of the circumstances that lead to this cluster *.
Because it's taboo.
I'll put my head in the sand like everyone else and not go down this path.
We can all forget it ever happened. Even though there were 6 confirmed cases within the crowd.

it would be a hilarious exercise to put side by side posters comments on community transmission then and now.

I agree with what you said. It's a combination of all those mitigating circumstances. Why would anyone ignore the BLM protest as a part of the circumstances that lead to this cluster fu**.
Because it's taboo.

It’s been done to death by the biggest media company in the world. You probably got the meme graph from the media. There’s no evidence yet.

Anyway f*** most of the political finger pointing in this thread.

Under 500 again today.

Impact of compulsory masks to play out over the next week.

Impact of stage 4 to begin to play out over the following week and a half after that.

Hopefully these measures see us plateau at this rate and then tend downwards.

7 day average new cases:

E292A797-B904-4BEC-B879-46153A188FC0.png

It
there were 6 confirmed cases within the crowd.

No the papers reported it to seem that way, but it was dishonest journalism. Six people who attended the rally also later picked up coronavirus. There is no evidence they were infected at the rally, nor is there anything to say they were vectors at the time.

I disagree with the event but I've made that point elsewhere.

Working from home, as most of us Melbournians are, means I see things I otherwise wouldn’t notice if in the office all day.

Yesterday an unmarked cop car rolled slowly down the street and stopped outside our neighbour’s house with two masked cops entering the property with clipboards.

I was wondering where the neighbours had been as I usually chat to one of them or their two late teens girls at some point each day when home.

Yada yada yada the mum’s been diagnosed as Covid-19 positive and is isolating in a back room while the other family members awaited test results and isolated themselves in their own rooms. All other family members were found negative (thank f*** as I’m in the immunocompromised high risk group).

It’s happening (closer to home than I’d have ever imagined)!

I agree with what you said. It's a combination of all those mitigating circumstances. Why would anyone ignore the BLM protest as a part of the circumstances that lead to this cluster fu**.
Because it's taboo.
I'll put my head in the sand like everyone else and not go down this path.
We can all forget it ever happened. Even though there were 6 confirmed cases within the crowd.

it would be a hilarious exercise to put side by side posters comments on community transmission then and now.

My understanding is that this is a correlation versus causation question. Yes, 6 people who went to the BLM protest also tested positive to Covid19 but there has been no evidence to confirm that transmission occurred or even if any of those six were infectious at the time. If there was genuinely transmission at an event attended by circa 10,000 people you would likely see a much bigger cluster than 6.

As the premier admitted yesterday the science (genomic sequencing I believe) is fairly conclusive about the source of our outbreak. Without disastrous decisions and management of hotel quarantine, it never happens. That is not the end of the story though as several more failings by the government allowed this outbreak to get out of control and create a major crisis:

1 - Woefully inadequate contact tracing. The Andrews government knocked back the offer of 1,000 ADF personnel to assist with contact tracing and their existing 200 contact tracers were quickly overwhelmed.
2 - Obviously inadequate enforcement of home-based quarantine and self-isolation. When the government finally did do something about this, nearly a third of those who had tested positive were out and about in the community spreading the infection. There was a lot of lecturing from the podium and shaming Karen from Brighton when people without the infection breached lockdown conditions, but it seems almost nothing was done to ensure the people who had been identified as genuine health risks stayed home.

If they had absolute control of the points mentioned above we could have survived the hotel quarantine failures with one or two small outbreaks that were bought under control quickly. I also heard doctors complaining the other day that tests are still taking up to ten days to come back which is another issue.

Anyway f*** most of the political finger pointing in this thread.

Under 500 again today.

Impact of compulsory masks to play out over the next week.

Impact of stage 4 to begin to play out over the following week and a half after that.

Hopefully these measures see us plateau at this rate and then tend downwards.

7 day average new cases:

View attachment 929409

I hope you are right and we have already seen the peak but the fact you are highlighting under 500 as a good result shows what a fluster cuck this has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is that this is a correlation versus causation question. Yes, 6 people who went to the BLM protest also tested positive to Covid19 but there has been no evidence to confirm that transmission occurred or even if any of those six were infectious at the time. If there was genuinely transmission at an event attended by circa 10,000 people you would likely see a much bigger cluster than 6.

As the premier admitted yesterday the science (genomic sequencing I believe) is fairly conclusive about the source of our outbreak. Without disastrous decisions and management of hotel quarantine, it never happens. That is not the end of the story though as several more failings by the government allowed this outbreak to get out of control and create a major crisis:

1 - Woefully inadequate contact tracing. The Andrews government knocked back the offer of 1,000 ADF personnel to assist with contact tracing and their existing 200 contact tracers were quickly overwhelmed.
2 - Obviously inadequate enforcement of home-based quarantine and self-isolation. When the government finally did do something about this, nearly a third of those who had tested positive were out and about in the community spreading the infection. There was a lot of lecturing from the podium and shaming Karen from Brighton when people without the infection breached lockdown conditions, but it seems almost nothing was done to ensure the people who had been identified as genuine health risks stayed home.

If they had absolute control of the points mentioned above we could have survived the hotel quarantine failures with one or two small outbreaks that were bought under control quickly. I also heard doctors complaining the other day that tests are still taking up to ten days to come back which is another issue.
Add to that, casual cleaners on minimum wage who were sent to multiple sites, I believe this was flagged as a health risk..

How can you say that with certainty?
View attachment 929392

Because they traced pretty thoroughly and in the many weeks since then no transmisison has been confirmed. You could put any random event at that point of the graph and insist there is causation, with equal validity.

My anecdotal experience of that period was that as soon as families and friends could visit each other, there was physical contact and scant regard for distancing. I was regularly trying to dodge hugs and close talkers. Appalled that at the time people felt bold enough to do that and generally let their guards down there was also an inexcusable breach of quarantine protections that moved the virus out into these family gatherings and workplaces. For me, the protests weren't part of that relaxation - all the images showed masks and distancing, at a time when not everyone was following those guidelines - but maybe for some people they were.

I generally think all the governments are doing as well as they can, and Victoria's has done and is doing a lot right. But pushing investigating those quarantine breaches out when the findings could potentially protect against the problems being repeated? That's not good enough. Same with how aged care breaches could happen again in Victoria after the NSW disaster early on. All the known weak spots should be reviewed urgently and the lessons shared and acted on.

P

Your lack of knowledge of Regional Centres is a concern let alone the fact that once an infection is in a Home the spread is on.
There are rumours up here of 3 cases last night. The panic is as real as elsewhere.
Bendigo currently has 39 active cases and 10 new ones yesterday. Glenelg and LaTrobe are equally spiking.
True that I went for a walk with Woof yesterday and saw no one with my mask on, but we just don’t live our lives walking around empty paddocks or roads.
What the * are you talking about? I'm just saying if you're walking around back streets or through fields in the middle of a cold winter day and no one else is outside you don't need to wear a mask. I live in the country too btw and grew up in a town of 1000 people.

What the fu** are you talking about? I'm just saying if you're walking around back streets or through fields in the middle of a cold winter day and no one else is outside you don't need to wear a mask. I live in the country too btw and grew up in a town of 1000 people.

I am still grasping with the point of posting such a startling revelation.

Do you think there is a noise when a tree falls and no one hears it?

Calm the farm.

All in this together spirit strong in this thread.

Could you imagine if we all didn't barrack for the same footy team!?

Been on the covid hotline. No luck. Sent an e-mail and awaiting reply.

Mrs. H has her travel permit for next week caring for essential workers kids @childcare. Drs. nurses etc.

Now she usually travels with another staff member who lives close by. Anybody know if they can still travel together ?

I am still grasping with the point of posting such a startling revelation.

Do you think there is a noise when a tree falls and no one hears it?

Calm the farm.
Because I see people walking in wide open spaces wearing masks and it's moronic. Shouldn't need to make four posts to try and get that through some heads. *s sake.

Been on the covid hotline. No luck. Sent an e-mail and awaiting reply.

Mrs. H has her travel permit for next week caring for essential workers kids @childcare. Drs. nurses etc.

Now she usually travels with another staff member who lives close by. Anybody know if they can still travel together ?
I travel to and from work with 2 other employees. It's fine just wear a mask. Most concerns regarding the lockdown I reckon common sense would prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back