News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because they traced pretty thoroughly and in the many weeks since then no transmisison has been confirmed. You could put any random event at that point of the graph and insist there is causation, with equal validity.

My anecdotal experience of that period was that as soon as families and friends could visit each other, there was physical contact and scant regard for distancing. I was regularly trying to dodge hugs and close talkers. Appalled that at the time people felt bold enough to do that and generally let their guards down there was also an inexcusable breach of quarantine protections that moved the virus out into these family gatherings and workplaces. For me, the protests weren't part of that relaxation - all the images showed masks and distancing, at a time when not everyone was following those guidelines - but maybe for some people they were.

I generally think all the governments are doing as well as they can, and Victoria's has done and is doing a lot right. But pushing investigating those quarantine breaches out when the findings could potentially protect against the problems being repeated? That's not good enough. Same with how aged care breaches could happen again in Victoria after the NSW disaster early on. All the known weak spots should be reviewed urgently and the lessons shared and acted on.
I wouldn't call Victoria's contact tracing as thorough.
I'd be interested to know how that failed compared to NSW and what the differences were.

And if for example there was community transmission at a protest or public gathering it would serve no purpose for the government to name that as the source. When they can, for all the same intents and purposes name it coming from a family gathering for tracing purposes.
Because there is no definitive proof where they contacted it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

No probs.
Additionally we were stopped last night on the way home from work around 2am or so, cops didn't say anything about the carpool. Just checked papers and that was it.

Easiest police stop for 3 blokes in hoodies and masks I've seen lol
So they didn't ask about the sawn-off shotgun and bags of cash?

I'd be interested to know how that failed compared to NSW and what the differences were.

And if for example there was community transmission at a protest or public gathering it would serve no purpose for the government to name that as the source. When they can, for all the same intents and purposes name it coming from a family gathering for tracing purposes.

Actually there would be a massive purpose. If they believed it to be the source of an outbreak they would want as many of those people who attended the rally as possible to come forward for testing.

From what I understand they have genetically traced all of the current outbreak back to the quarantine hotels and not the cases that were circulating prior. I won't pretend to understand or explain the science but that is the information out there which, if anything, is a worse outcome for the Andrews government.

Because I see people walking in wide open spaces wearing masks and it's moronic. Shouldn't need to make four posts to try and get that through some heads. fu**s sake.
Quite apart from the fact that we're pretty sure this virus is airborne, why the hell would taking extra precautions be considered moronic? People are in the habit of wearing masks and protecting their own health. Let's insult them.

Quite apart from the fact that we're pretty sure this virus is airborne, why the hell would taking extra precautions be considered moronic? People are in the habit of wearing masks and protecting their own health. Let's insult them.
Who cares

This is not particularly confidence-inspiring:

"Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said he first learnt about the problems in hotel quarantine through the media.

Mr Sutton said he was aware there were coronavirus outbreaks at the Stamford Hotel and Rydges Hotel but he did not know the extent of the deficiencies with the state government run program.

"So we were aware of the transmission that occurred, but in terms of other rumours and reporting around deficiencies with the workforce in those settings, the first I heard was when I read it in the newspapers,” he said on Friday.

Infection control breaches at the hotel quarantine program are believed to have unleashed Victoria’s current coronavirus crisis.

When asked if he suspected the breaches were linked to an increase in community transmission, Mr Sutton said: “No I didn’t really, it was information that was only available when that genomics report was through.”

The botched program, which is under the scrutiny of an inquiry headed by a former judge, has been genomically linked to most if not all of Victoria’s current coronavirus cases."

This is not particularly confidence-inspiring:

"Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said he first learnt about the problems in hotel quarantine through the media.

Mr Sutton said he was aware there were coronavirus outbreaks at the Stamford Hotel and Rydges Hotel but he did not know the extent of the deficiencies with the state government run program.

"So we were aware of the transmission that occurred, but in terms of other rumours and reporting around deficiencies with the workforce in those settings, the first I heard was when I read it in the newspapers,” he said on Friday.

Infection control breaches at the hotel quarantine program are believed to have unleashed Victoria’s current coronavirus crisis.

When asked if he suspected the breaches were linked to an increase in community transmission, Mr Sutton said: “No I didn’t really, it was information that was only available when that genomics report was through.”

The botched program, which is under the scrutiny of an inquiry headed by a former judge, has been genomically linked to most if not all of Victoria’s current coronavirus cases."
The knives are out.....

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has slammed Premier Dan Andrews COVID-19 “failures” as fresh claims emerge that the Morrison Government raised concerns Victoria wasn’t being transparent over the rising number of cases.

Federal sources have revealed that the state’s chief medical officer Brett Sutton was “overwhelmed” in the early days of the virussecond wave and that the states were concerned they were not getting the information they needed over new cases and contact tracing.
The issue came to light after the state’s new deputy chief medical officer Allen Cheng started briefing on the data this week and health officials said far more information was suddenly being provided.

The Herald Sun reports today that some federal sources claimed Victoria was being “almost obstructive” on sharing the information.

However, senior government sources told news.com.au that rather than being deliberate, they suspected the Victorian CMO was “overwhelmed” and Mr Sutton was spending hours everyday preparing for and attending marathon press conferences that have been lasting for up to 90 minutes a day.

Prof Cheng, an Alfred Hospital infectious diseases expert who replaced Annaliese Van Diemen last Friday, was regarded as “more across the data”.

Asked about the reports today the Prime Minister noted that massive task of contact tracing in Victoria had become “tighter and more reliable” as a result of the intervention of the Australian Defence Force.

“One of the things the Defence Forces have been doing, they are a new type of keyboard warrior,’’ he said.
Earlier today, when asked when numbers would come down in Melbourne today, the Prime Minister hinted there were reasons why it was hard to know.

“It’s still hard to say. That’s what we aren’t getting told,’’ he told 2GB radio.

“I mean, we hopefully see, would like to see things improve over the next seven days, but we certainly haven’t seen that up until now. So it’s, these changes have got to get locked in down there in Victoria.”

Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Thursday that the states were “trying” to offer more transparency.

“The Prime Minister, and the chief medical officer in particular, were very, very keen to be able to collate and share all data to make sure it is available to all,’’ he said.

“We think that that’s an important part of information-sharing, learning and accountability. They’ll give an update on that tomorrow, so I’ll let probably the chief medical officer, in particular, comment on the ability of each state.

“The issue will be whether all have been able to develop the systems necessary to provide full public transparency. But I do know that they’re trying.”

Victoria’s health department rejected any suggestion that it was failing to share data on the spread of the deadly virus.

“Victoria works cooperatively with all jurisdictions,” a DHHS spokeswoman said. “All relevant data is shared in the fight to slow coronavirus.”

In an emotional interview on Sky News, a frustrated Mr Frydenberg said he was “devastated” by the plight of his fellow Victorians and admitted he was angry about why it had happened.

“It should have never gotten to this. But I’m not serving Australians or Victorians by engaging in a slanging match, my support goes to the Victorian people at this difficult time and we need to all think about that,’’ he said.

“We are in a state of crisis right now. The emotional toll on Victorian families, on young women trying to home school their kids and hold down a job at the same time; on grandparents; on businesses that have had to close their doors with millions of people uncertain about their job future – they’re the real issues.

“The premier yesterday faced a number of questions. What happened in quarantine were significant failures that cannot be repeated,” he said

Mr Frydenberg is preparing to enter into a fortnight of self-isolation in Canberra in order to be able to attend the next sitting fortnight that commences on August 24.

“My job, the Prime Minister’s job, is to get help to the people who need it most,’’ he said.

“Ultimately, we are all Australian and we are all in this together, and as a Victorian, I am so devastated about what has transpired in my state.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway f*** most of the political finger pointing in this thread.

Under 500 again today.

Impact of compulsory masks to play out over the next week.

Impact of stage 4 to begin to play out over the following week and a half after that.

Hopefully these measures see us plateau at this rate and then tend downwards.

7 day average new cases:

View attachment 929409

Yep , good numbers let's hope they continue to drop aye. I've had my rant about who's done what and have moved on. I'm now trying to remain upbeat and positive. The rest isn't worth me energy in any longer.

The knives are out.....

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has slammed Premier Dan Andrews COVID-19 “failures” as fresh claims emerge that the Morrison Government raised concerns Victoria wasn’t being transparent over the rising number of cases.

Federal sources have revealed that the state’s chief medical officer Brett Sutton was “overwhelmed” in the early days of the virussecond wave and that the states were concerned they were not getting the information they needed over new cases and contact tracing.
The issue came to light after the state’s new deputy chief medical officer Allen Cheng started briefing on the data this week and health officials said far more information was suddenly being provided.

The Herald Sun reports today that some federal sources claimed Victoria was being “almost obstructive” on sharing the information.

However, senior government sources told news.com.au that rather than being deliberate, they suspected the Victorian CMO was “overwhelmed” and Mr Sutton was spending hours everyday preparing for and attending marathon press conferences that have been lasting for up to 90 minutes a day.

Prof Cheng, an Alfred Hospital infectious diseases expert who replaced Annaliese Van Diemen last Friday, was regarded as “more across the data”.

Asked about the reports today the Prime Minister noted that massive task of contact tracing in Victoria had become “tighter and more reliable” as a result of the intervention of the Australian Defence Force.

“One of the things the Defence Forces have been doing, they are a new type of keyboard warrior,’’ he said.
Earlier today, when asked when numbers would come down in Melbourne today, the Prime Minister hinted there were reasons why it was hard to know.

“It’s still hard to say. That’s what we aren’t getting told,’’ he told 2GB radio.

“I mean, we hopefully see, would like to see things improve over the next seven days, but we certainly haven’t seen that up until now. So it’s, these changes have got to get locked in down there in Victoria.”

Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Thursday that the states were “trying” to offer more transparency.

“The Prime Minister, and the chief medical officer in particular, were very, very keen to be able to collate and share all data to make sure it is available to all,’’ he said.

“We think that that’s an important part of information-sharing, learning and accountability. They’ll give an update on that tomorrow, so I’ll let probably the chief medical officer, in particular, comment on the ability of each state.

“The issue will be whether all have been able to develop the systems necessary to provide full public transparency. But I do know that they’re trying.”

Victoria’s health department rejected any suggestion that it was failing to share data on the spread of the deadly virus.

“Victoria works cooperatively with all jurisdictions,” a DHHS spokeswoman said. “All relevant data is shared in the fight to slow coronavirus.”

In an emotional interview on Sky News, a frustrated Mr Frydenberg said he was “devastated” by the plight of his fellow Victorians and admitted he was angry about why it had happened.

“It should have never gotten to this. But I’m not serving Australians or Victorians by engaging in a slanging match, my support goes to the Victorian people at this difficult time and we need to all think about that,’’ he said.

“We are in a state of crisis right now. The emotional toll on Victorian families, on young women trying to home school their kids and hold down a job at the same time; on grandparents; on businesses that have had to close their doors with millions of people uncertain about their job future – they’re the real issues.

“The premier yesterday faced a number of questions. What happened in quarantine were significant failures that cannot be repeated,” he said

Mr Frydenberg is preparing to enter into a fortnight of self-isolation in Canberra in order to be able to attend the next sitting fortnight that commences on August 24.

“My job, the Prime Minister’s job, is to get help to the people who need it most,’’ he said.

“Ultimately, we are all Australian and we are all in this together, and as a Victorian, I am so devastated about what has transpired in my state.”

Federal Labor has been trying to return from irrelevance by politicising the pandemic response and blaming the Morrison government. That might be okay politics for them but the case is flimsy and it then gives the Federal Government license to hit back with the Andrews government being the target. It's a bit of a case of for every soft jab the federal ALP lands on the Federal Government they retaliate with a full force right hook on Andrews.

Andrews needs to get on the phone to Albanese and Keneally and tell them to back off, He will cop an absolute pummelling the way they are stirring things up.

Federal Labor has been trying to return from irrelevance by politicising the pandemic response and blaming the Morrison government. That might be okay politics for them but the case is flimsy and it then gives the Federal Government license to hit back with the Andrews government being the target. It's a bit of a case of for every soft jab the federal ALP lands on the Federal Government they retaliate with a full force right hook on Andrews.

Andrews needs to get on the phone to Albanese and Keneally and tell them to back off, He will cop an absolute pummelling the way they are stirring things up.
I think it might be a little more personal than that, these latest attacks seem to be obfuscating responsibility for the states CMO.

I’ve got a pretty big question, why the heck was the CMO required to do daily briefings in the middle of a pandemic? surly his time could’ve been better spent.

call me skeptical but it seems the marketing exercise was more important than the work in some quarters. Oh and I doubt this was the CMO’s choice to be front and centre in every press conference.

Last edited:
I think it might be a little more personal than that, these latest attacks seem to be obfuscating responsibility for the states CMO.

I’ve got a pretty big question, why the heck was the CMO required to do daily briefings in the middle of a pandemic? surly his time could’ve been better spent.

call me skeptical but it seems the marketing exercise was more important than the work in some quarters. Oh and I doubt this was the CMO’s choice to be front and centre in every press conference.

I haven't seen it as particularly attacking the CMO and I also think it is entirely appropriate for the CMO to be briefing. The public wants to hear from the experts. The federal CMO has briefed and from what I have seen the other state CMOs have had a prominent role. Trump copped a heap of flack for not letting Fauci and Birx talk to the press and public.

My point was that the Government/authorities knew they had several infections arising from the quarantine hotels but that doesn't appear to have rung any alarm bells and anything like a response. Those first few quarantine infections should have been a huge red flag that sparked an oh s**t kind of response. It appears they just rolled on until it was too late.

I haven't seen it as particularly attacking the CMO and I also think it is entirely appropriate for the CMO to be briefing. The public wants to hear from the experts. The federal CMO has briefed and from what I have seen the other state CMOs have had a prominent role. Trump copped a heap of flack for not letting Fauci and Birx talk to the press and public.

My point was that the Government/authorities knew they had several infections arising from the quarantine hotels but that doesn't appear to have rung any alarm bells and anything like a response. Those first few quarantine infections should have been a huge red flag that sparked an oh sh*t kind of response. It appears they just rolled on until it was too late.
I guess that’s my point, there was a response, it was to do with getting people front and centre in the media.
maybe people who had nothing to do with the failures, answering questions. It was more important to manage the fallout than the problem..
politics hey..

Last edited:

You are grasping at straws here.

Who cares

Do you wear a seatbelt when you are driving on a road all by yourself?

Seems to be a bit of political point scoring going on now.
Doing already low levels of public confidence even worse. To see people esp. in other states puffing themselves up even worse.

Both sides of politics.

The mirage of May has gone...all those Ch 9 Ads of us being in it together....the telethon thingos...mere mirages.

I probably posted in the C19 1 discussion thread my fears for July/August based around the fact that most people simply have no idea how to hygienically manage the common cold let alone a contagion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back