Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge wouldn't have a bar of Murphy in the midfield - so that wouldn't work.

What gives Hodge the right to judge Murphy as a midfielder? Hodge spent half his time playing as a half back flanker.

Murph has Hodge well covered for just about every stat.

Murph has him covered in:
Goal Assists
Score Involvements
Clearances
Contested Possessions
Uncontested Possessions
Tackles
Clangers (as in less)
Inside 50s
Frees For
Frees Against (as in less)
Bounces
Pressure Acts
Champion Data Rating Points
Supercoach Points
AFL Fantasy Points

Hodge wins at:
Metres gained
Rebounds
Intercept Marks
One Percenters
Brownlow votes (although Murph had him covered until his injury - they were about neck and neck at the 230 game mark)

Hodge has 7 more goals, but with 65 extra games. At the rate Murphy is going at these days, it will take him that long to kick 7 more, so we'll call that a tie.

For advanced stats that didn't exist from the start of both of their careers, I excluded Murph's 2020 season, so it was an apples to apples comparison.

Hodge was a great player, but his output doesn't compare to Murph's. Granted, he was a better leader.

What gives Hodge the right to judge Murphy as a midfielder? Hodge spent half his time playing as a half back flanker.

Goal Assists
Score Involvements
Clearances
Contested Possessions
Uncontested Possessions
Tackles
Clangers (as in less)
Inside 50s
Frees For
Bounces
Pressure Acts
Supercoach Points
AFL Fantasy Points

Hodge wins at:
Metres gained
Rebounds
Intercept Marks
One Percenters
Brownlow votes (although Murph had him covered until his injury - they were about neck and neck at the 230 game mark)

Hodge has 7 more goals, but with 65 extra games. At the rate Murphy is going at these days, it will take him that long to kick 7 more, so we'll call that a tie.

For advanced stats that didn't exist from the start of both of their careers, I excluded Murph's 2020 season, so it was an apples to apples comparison.

Hodge was a great player, but his output doesn't compare to Murph's. Granted, he was a better leader.

Took the scenic route but got there right at the end.

Took the scenic route but got there right at the end.
Understood, but let's not forget they played in two very different teams.

The Hawks had a great team for Hodge to lead. If he swapped places with Murphy, we still wouldn't have won anything, and we'd be screaming for a player that "does more".

Sure, the Hawks aren't as successful without Hodge, but I'm sure they would've managed at least 1 flag with Murph instead. He probably would've had better career stats too.

Goal Assists
Score Involvements
Clearances
Contested Possessions
Uncontested Possessions
Tackles
Clangers (as in less)
Inside 50s
Frees For
Bounces
Pressure Acts
Supercoach Points
AFL Fantasy Points

Hodge wins at:
Metres gained
Rebounds
Intercept Marks
One Percenters

Personally I don't like Hodge as a person - too much of a sniper on field for my liking..but leaving that aside...

Hodge has 4 premierships to his name- Murphy whilst still Captain of Carlton - wanted to and I quote Murphy here "...investigate all his options..." last time his contract came up for renewal - that is just two differences between the two as Captains and players. let's not joke about the two and their achievements for their respective Clubs - chalk and cheese.

Goal Assists
Score Involvements
Clearances
Contested Possessions
Uncontested Possessions
Tackles
Clangers (as in less)
Inside 50s
Frees For
Bounces
Pressure Acts
Supercoach Points
AFL Fantasy Points

Hodge wins at:
Metres gained
Rebounds
Intercept Marks
One Percenters

Murphy getting mentioned in the same breath as Luke Hodge. Oh my.

Farcical stuff.

Hodge has 4 premierships to his name- Murphy whilst still Captain of Carlton - wanted to and I quote Murphy here "...investigate all his options..." last time his contract came up for renewal - that is just two differences between the two as Captains and players. let's not joke about the two and their achievements for their respective Clubs - chalk and cheese.

If we're really going down that ridiculous path, only one of them will retire a one club player.

Every player explores their options. They'd be silly not to.

Murphy getting mentioned in the same breath as Luke Hodge. Oh my.

Farcical stuff.

Haha. Not as an overall player, Hodge can play (very well) just about anywhere on the field, and certainly not as a leader. But as a pure midfielder, I stand by my previous statement.

If you look at the numbers, it's not even close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. Not as an overall player, Hodge can play (very well) just about anywhere on the field, and certainly not as a leader. But as a pure midfielder, I stand by my previous statement.

If you look at the numbers, it's not even close.

Numbers...lol

Look, i would comment further on this but i caught a glance at your profile and the "worshipping Marc Murphy" explains to me why anybody would even put Murphy in the same universe as Luke Hodge.

We are all entitled to our favorites and who am i to shite directly on your hero in a convo with you.

If we're really going down that ridiculous path, only one of them will retire a one club player.

Every player explores their options. They'd be silly not to.

Murphy fell off his pedestal when he went public (whilst Captain) about considering his options - not because he may have been considering offers from elsewhere - something which (of course) he was perfectly entitled to do.

Hodge retired from Hawthorn as Captain - and in retirement was talked into helping his mate Fagan at Brisbane - doesn't make Hodge any less a Hawthorn player to anyone.

as for the discussion - I am now feeling a tad dirty- because as I said - I actually don't like Hodge and was always hoping someone from some team would give him what he gave out - dirty player, great Captain and servant for Hawthorn.

Numbers...lol

Look, i would comment further on this but i caught a glance at your profile and the "worshipping Marc Murphy" explains to me why anybody would even put Murphy in the same universe as Luke Hodge.

We are all entitled to our favorites and who am i to sh*te directly on your hero in a convo with you.

Haha, feel free to take a massive dump on him if you'd like, won't hurt my feelings.

You can't just scoff at numbers, at the end of the day it's a numbers game, the team with the most points wins.

Murphy is dark blue and Hodge is red, so hopefully they stick out enough in the below graphs.

Contested Possessions - Murphy on par with Dane Swan and Dusty. Up until 200 games was on par with Gary Jnr. Hodge way below the pack. Murph has him beaten in Uncontested footy too.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.07.52 pm.png

Clearances - again Murphy is more or less on par with Dane Swan and Dusty. Pendles didn't pass him until about 150 games in and GAJ not until over 200 games. Hodge left for dead at the 100 game mark again.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.10.19 pm.png

Clangers - despite the above, Hodge is way ahead in Clangers. Murphy more or less on par with GAJ. Murphy and Hodge have almost identical kicks their whole careers too, so it's not like Pendles where a (small) part of the reason he has less clangers is because he kicks the footy less.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.10.50 pm.png

Goal Assists - Murph was up there with Selwood early in his career. Unfortunately his last 100 games have brought him back to the pack. Still miles ahead of Hodge.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.09.11 pm.png

Bounces - Murph's the only player who gets within cooey of Judd and GAJ. Hodge at least manages to beat Selwood and Cripps.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.08.38 pm.png

Goals - more or less even now, but before his body was cooked, Murphy had a bit of separation from the bottom pack of players. Which is impressive, considering he doesn't have that mid/forward hybrid physique of GAJ, Dusty and Danger. Did Judd rest up forward early in his career, or was he that much of a freak? I haven't watched many Eagles games, but from highlights I only ever saw him kicking goals from the midfield.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.06.39 pm.png

Not sure how you can argue against Murphy being a better midfielder than Hodge. But if you do, I won't cry, promise. ;)

Murphy is certainly good enough to have seen out - how many coaches in his one Club at Carlton because I had no better offers career?

Pagan Ratten Malthouse Bolton .....Teague

-these stats say he is also the definition of a coach killer

as well as a better at everything than Selwood/Martin/Judd and Ablett....

as well as a better at everything than Selwood/Martin/Judd and Ablett....

No idea how you came to that conclusion.

All the stats show is that he is a balanced midfielder, and compares rather well to some very good midfield players across a variety of areas. Hodge, on the other hand, does not compare as well. He stands out in intercept marks and rebounds, but if you want a midfielder, that's not what you're after.

No idea how you came to that conclusion.

All the stats show is that he is a balanced midfielder, and compares rather well to some very good midfield players across a variety of areas. Hodge, on the other hand, does not compare as well. He stands out in intercept marks and rebounds, but if you want a midfielder, that's not what you're after.
How dare you bring logic into this!!

What is our obsession with apprentice senior coaches? Would you rather a carpenter with 5 years experience or an apprentice?

I was a critic when he was appointed prematurely based upon form from last year.

The much criticised Barker had a similar trajectory to Teague after he took over as caretaker.

Ratten was more quaiified, loves our club, was respected and although he was dismissed the first time.. I'm sure he would've learnt from his first go at it, we rode out the mistakes from Ratten. He would've been a much better choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back