Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

What is our obsession with apprentice senior coaches? Would you rather a carpenter with 5 years experience or an apprentice?

I was a critic when he was appointed prematurely based upon form from last year.

The much criticised Barker had a similar trajectory to Teague after he took over as caretaker.

Ratten was more quaiified, loves our club, was respected and although he was dismissed the first time.. I'm sure he would've learnt from his first go at it, we rode out the mistakes from Ratten. He would've been a much better choice.
I'm having doubts about him
First season as coach and we're doing about as well as everyone expected before the start of the year. Some hope about making finals being raised and then lowered seems to be making people lose sight of where we're at.

I'm having doubts about him
Why are we having doubts about Teague when he has been at the helm for just over a year???
His record is 12-12 right now.. I reckon thats bloody good with that amount of injuries and irregularities we have had with our starting 22.

Can we please get some consistency happening, I know injuries dont help but we have been so unlucky in that area. Harry is just starting to string games, Charlie hasnt been sited for ages, Doch has been away for 2 years, McGovern keeps getting these little niggling injuries. Do you know why our backline is/has been so solid? Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Simmo are one of the only lines in our team who have had consistent games together.

Midfield keeps getting rotated with different ins and outs, i can safely bet that Charlie, Harry and McG haven’t played 10 games together let alone 5 games in a without one dropping out.

Teague is 12-12 from 24 (Thats a season and 2 games) - We can still finish the season 9-8 but I believe it will be 8-9 (Lose to the Lions)
Bolton was 16-88 (2016-19) (We had 2 wins in 2018)

Majority of that core group is still there. They have won 28 games in 5 years (100 losses) that is gonna affect you mentally one way or another.

Teague is one more off season, trade period off being scrutinised. If we lose these type of games next season.. go to town.

2020 counts for s**t tbh

What is our obsession with apprentice senior coaches? Would you rather a carpenter with 5 years experience or an apprentice?

I was a critic when he was appointed prematurely based upon form from last year.

The much criticised Barker had a similar trajectory to Teague after he took over as caretaker.

Ratten was more quaiified, loves our club, was respected and although he was dismissed the first time.. I'm sure he would've learnt from his first go at it, we rode out the mistakes from Ratten. He would've been a much better choice.

Did you forget how we went with Pagan and Malthouse?

Barker had a 3-11 record as caretaker coach. Not so similar really.

Teague is way more qualified as a coach than Ratten was. Ratten had a couple of years at Melbourne as a midfield coach, whereas Teague has been an assistant at 4 clubs for over a decade, and coached a VFL side.

Last edited:
Did you forget how we went with Pagan and Malthouse?

Barker had a 3-11 record as caretaker coach. Not so similar really.

Yes actually, I have that decade burned in my memory.

My point is that it was poor selecting Teague based upon a few results on the tail end of the Bolton era (much like Reece Shaw)

This was Bolton's moulded team that won these games on during Teague's caretaker tenure. Teague was then appointed based upon this,

You're right about comparing records, however, Barker had a much worse list than Teague when he took over as caretaker. If you believe a coach has that much influence in such a small sample size than than you wrong.

Teague has taken over a list with younger players who are in the experience bracket of 50-100 games. Bolton went through the pain of gutting the list and going through the losses and pain of the mistakes. Teague hasn't had to do that groundwork, neither did Rattan, Pagan did.

I firmly believe that with Bolton still in charge we'd have a similarly improved trajectory, remembering that improvement isn't ever linear.

Ratten took over a team in a similar position to Teague and I believe that he had learned from that, Teague is no different to Ratten. We will probably end up sacking him like we did Ratts.. He wasn't ready.. Neither was Ratts.

Ratts is ready now though, where as Teague is still learning. I am sick of these poor management decisions, if you are happy with accepting mediocrity than that is your choice.

Yes actually, I have that decade burned in my memory.

My point is that it was poor selecting Teague based upon a few results on the tail end of the Bolton era (much like Reece Shaw)

This was Bolton's moulded team that won these games on during Teague's caretaker tenure. Teague was then appointed based upon this,

You're right about comparing records, however, Barker had a much worse list than Teague when he took over as caretaker. If you believe a coach has that much influence in such a small sample size than than you wrong.

Teague has taken over a list with younger players who are in the experience bracket of 50-100 games. Bolton went through the pain of gutting the list and going through the losses and pain of the mistakes. Teague hasn't had to do that groundwork, neither did Rattan, Pagan did.

I firmly believe that with Bolton still in charge we'd have a similarly improved trajectory, remembering that improvement isn't ever linear.

Ratten took over a team in a similar position to Teague and I believe that he had learned from that, Teague is no different to Ratten. We will probably end up sacking him like we did Ratts.. He wasn't ready.. Neither was Ratts.

Ratts is ready now though, where as Teague is still learning. I am sick of these poor management decisions, if you are happy with accepting mediocrity than that is your choice.

Oh stop with the 'if you're happy accepting mediocrity' patronising.

What you have posted is opinion. You raised Barker's trajectory, not me. I can't be wrong for shooting down your contention that you now say has no influence in such a small sample size.

Yes it was Bolton's team that Teague took over, however he did free them up last year and got them to enjoy their football again.

We still have a heap of these young players who haven't reached 50 games yet. Coming into the season it was really only SPS, Weiters, Fisher and JSOS who had reached that milestone and two of those have hardly played this year.

Oh stop with the 'if you're happy accepting mediocrity' patronising.

What you have posted is opinion. You raised Barker's trajectory, not me. I can't be wrong for shooting down your contention that you now say has no influence in such a small sample size.

Yes it was Bolton's team that Teague took over, however he did free them up last year and got them to enjoy their football again.

We still have a heap of these young players who haven't reached 50 games yet. Coming into the season it was really only SPS, Weiters, Fisher and JSOS who had reached that milestone and two of those have hardly played this year.

Unfortunately a fair few of our higher ups seem to think 'this a normal part of the trajectory' losses etc. We all believed that green shoots bull****

It's not acceptable anymore, as much as you think Teague has done an 'amazing job and freed up the game style' we kicked 39 points tonight and didn't score in the last. And we have been pathetic and had massive lapses during quarters this season as well (hardly scored).

Bevo, Clarko, Hardwick, Longmire, were able to take a team of young guns to grand finals and finals appearances. Ratten would've been the perfect man for this job. I will happily put my last dollar on Teague getting sacked before we win another flag.

These coaches have a talented list of young players who’ve had a couple of years at least of ‘development’ but are not delivering.

Time to change their coaching approach before some of the talent drop off completely.

It’s also time Barker takes his level 4 papers somewhere else. Enough!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

These coaches have a talented list of young players who’ve had a couple of years at least of ‘development’ but are not delivering.

Time to change their coaching approach before some of the talent drop off completely.

It’s also time Barker takes his level 4 papers somewhere else. Enough!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Once again why is it barkers' fault and no-one else's?
I suspect either the mabo vibe or big footy collective kool aid.

I have a lot of faith in Teague but he needs some senior assistants around him. If he's bouncing ideas of Barker there's a problem.

We need to bring in some quality assistants to help him and guide him when things don't go his way.

We need to poach someone like Scotty Burns from Hawthorn to be Teagues senior assistant. Also get someone like Nigel Lappin from Geelong.

Bring Playfair back to coach the forwards (he was coach of sydneys forward line in their premiership year.

The reality is, you can't have the majority of games in a season where we have 5-6 goal swings against us and not question the coaching. It is either mentally weak players, unfit players or tactical adjustments not occuring. All come down to coaching players physically and mentally.

The following are issues I am struggling to understand:

Why is Cripps playing when he seems to be completely beaten up, especially off short turn arounds?

Why is Doc playing as a loose defender when he seems completely lost and struggling to find the ball. Perfect example the 2 v 1 where a kid in Hill kicked a goal. Luke Hodge called it perfectly, Doc as the loose man completely misread the situation.

Why is SPS still playing in defence? Seriously he isn't a defender and seems to have 0 confidence at this point.

Why is Tom Williamson not taking EVERY kick in, when he was last night it was fantastic to see.

Why does our midfield mix continue to have players with 0 pace or ability to break away from the contest? Further to that why if we have a slow midfield mix do we have slow wingers.... Why cannot we not see Walsh, Fisher, Cunners or even kids like Philp in the midfield?

Why are we continuing to play Simpson, sorry to shoot bambi but he is providing nothing offensively or defensively? Same goes for Betts and Casboult. Have offered next to nothing over multiple weeks now. Honestly outside of 1 game for Murphy our only Senior players that can hold their heads high are Jones and E Curnow.

Why is Mitch McGovern gifted games? Auto inclusion every week who has offered absolutely nothing.

I honestly think we need to clear out our assistant, how John Barker still has a job baffles me. But seriously what does Cameron Bruce know about winning football???? Luke Power great addition. But it looks like Teague REALLY needs some help.

Since Parkin

Brittain .... good match day coach with Parkin there ... players ran the club

Pagan ... vvvv unlucky with timing ... listen to his HS podcast .. v critical of the culture and makes an interesting comment about Ratten and whether he would let his players do what he did

Ratten ....v stiff to be sacked ... Judd Just lifted the team around him ....consistently made finals ... unlucky not go further ... like his set up of Betts Garlett Yarran forward

MM ... he might be a great coach but he was a disaster for Carlton .... “too many small forwards not enough mids” .... exit Betts !!!!!!!

Bolton ... read Brittain another good assistant but ... interesting to read an article months after post exit .... admitting he was over coaching

Teague .... initially opened the team up with some success ... positive this season we get in winning positions most games ... negative we seem to choke when we get in winning Positions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe there are some who suggest Teague is not up to the job, or that he needs a senior assistant.

First 25 games as senior coach (happy to include others in the comparison):

1599183891269.png

Since taking over as senior coach:

1599183936547.png

Teague has plenty to learn, but as a new coach he is tracking very well, in comparison to successful coaches in the early stages of their careers, as well as the current cohort.

Patience and more importantly perspective is required.

Was hearing last 7 games 13-42 in the 2nd half....
if we could just be a little more efficient in our forward entries and execute goal kicking better that would be a lot of extra goals, wins, %.....

on that point as a left footer McKay should stop leading into left forward pocket, it's hard enough for him to kick a goal when directly in front.

if we could just be a little more efficient in our forward entries and execute goal kicking better that would be a lot of extra goals, wins, %.....

on that point as a left footer McKay should stop leading into left forward pocket, it's hard enough for him to kick a goal when directly in front.
He leads there because he would prefer to kick around the corner or take a banana kick from the other side.... mentally weak....

Forward 50 entry efficiency won’t improve until 3 happen.

1- Midfield kicking skills, run and carry

2- More talent/class in our forward 50

3- Better F50 structure and separation

Can't believe there are some who suggest Teague is not up to the job, or that he needs a senior assistant.

First 25 games as senior coach (happy to include others in the comparison):

View attachment 952940

Since taking over as senior coach:

View attachment 952941

Teague has plenty to learn, but as a new coach he is tracking very well, in comparison to successful coaches in the early stages of their careers, as well as the current cohort.

Patience and more importantly perspective is required.
That is so representational off where we are at right now. Bar * every other team above us is better right now and you can argue that they are all in their premiership windows (definitely the top 6 of those teams). I mean with the talent the Dogs have they should be up there for contention also.

I expect and demand finals footy next year. I don't think we will break into the Top 4 (thats 2022) but if we can get a home final and even make it to the semi's that is great experience for this team.

I expect to contend for multiple premiership between 2022-2028.

last 5 games with finals up for grabs, 8 goals 32 in second half.
McKay, Martin, Casboult, etc. kick better and we win probably all those games.
The coach is a genius when the team is executing.
And don't give me the Plan B Bull. Bad kicking is always coach killing no matter what the Plan is.

Teague doing a great job for mine as we are around where I thought we would be this year.

What gives Hodge the right to judge Murphy as a midfielder? Hodge spent half his time playing as a half back flanker.

Murph has Hodge well covered for just about every stat.

Murph has him covered in:
Goal Assists
Score Involvements
Clearances
Contested Possessions
Uncontested Possessions
Tackles
Clangers (as in less)
Inside 50s
Frees For
Frees Against (as in less)
Bounces
Pressure Acts
Champion Data Rating Points
Supercoach Points
AFL Fantasy Points

Hodge wins at:
Metres gained
Rebounds
Intercept Marks
One Percenters
Brownlow votes (although Murph had him covered until his injury - they were about neck and neck at the 230 game mark)

Hodge has 7 more goals, but with 65 extra games. At the rate Murphy is going at these days, it will take him that long to kick 7 more, so we'll call that a tie.

For advanced stats that didn't exist from the start of both of their careers, I excluded Murph's 2020 season, so it was an apples to apples comparison.

Hodge was a great player, but his output doesn't compare to Murph's. Granted, he was a better leader.

A player like Hodge would change us dramatically.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Not any more. Too old now.... move along
We need to make our internal leaders step up (Cripps, Doc, Murphy, Walsh, Weitering, etc). All our boys will be bigger and better next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back