News Gibbs to retire after final game against the Blues

Does Gibbs deserve a farewell game?

• Yes

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Believe whatever you want. He’s has been battling some serious issues for the past 18 months. His comments to the playing group stating, mentally he would not survive another season.
Gamble responsibly....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

No he's not, he's taking the spot of the kid who's been told to keep patient and when you've earned a spot and opportunity presents, you'll get your chance. He's not taking Mackay's spot at all. That's infantile thinking.
He has been very popular with the younger guys who he has helped to develop in the past 3 seasons.

Nah, watching his onfield efforts for 2 and a half years does that. That we've been forced to retire him and pay him out in 2021 because a vacant list spot is more valuable tells an awful lot about the lad. That he's been forced through his own lack of game day effort to be sitting in front of the cameras with an embarrassing couple of seasons to reflect on and he tears up tells me nothing that I didn't already know to be true.
You only have to look at the response by his team mates to know that THEY didn’t think like you. Maybe because they are humans too and show empathy towards a teammate. You should try it some time.

You only have to look at the response by his team mates to know that THEY didn’t think like you. Maybe because they are humans too and show empathy towards a teammate. You should try it some time.

When I had a colleague announce he was leaving I went up, shook his hand, and said I enjoyed working with him and wished him the best for the future.

I couldn't stand the guy, he was utterly incompetent at his job and I'd been secretly hoping they'd sack him.

Becuase that's just how you function in a society.

It would not have been socially acceptable for the players to cheer and go 'thank *, can't stand you, can we pack your bags for you?'. I'm not saying they were necissarily thinking that, merely that we can't assume anything from how they acted.

When I had a colleague announce he was leaving I went up, shook his hand, and said I enjoyed working with him and wished him the best for the future.

I couldn't stand the guy, he was utterly incompetent at his job and I'd been secretly hoping they'd sack him.

Becuase that's just how you function in a society.

It would not have been socially acceptable for the players to cheer and go 'thank fu**, can't stand you, can we pack your bags for you?'. I'm not saying they were necissarily thinking that, merely that we can't assume anything from how they acted.
Was Gibbs invited to "his" farewell afterwork drinks?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

... this has got to be a joke right?

Surely you can't actually be this completely ignorant to your own double standards?
You see the difference is I’m not posting incessantly the same garbage.

Last edited:
So why on every opportunity that he's been given in the last 18 months has he not been able to produce, well, anything of note? When he's earned recalls he's clearly worked his bum off to get back into the side and then... nothing.
This, really is the question, isn't it? Maybe Gibbs does not know his body and mind as well as he thinks? You nailed the difference between the dream and the reality.
Like with Pyke's resignation, I have very mixed feelings about the Gibbs' announcement which has clearly polarised posters in here. Gibbs was a consistently good player for Carlton, but very mediocre for the Crows whom he snubbed when a Free Agent. Whatever his reasons at the time, it's cost the Crows a Motza, but 2020 hindsight is 20/20 vision. I'm happy that we ended up with Hamill/McAdam/McHenry/Worrell after all of it. They will add to the Club and take it forward more than Gibbs ever did.

Part of me is really annoyed, even angry with Gibbs --- his ability even @ age 29 vs. what he actually produced is a mystery. Also with the Crows for making such a poor deal eg did they Test him thoroughly fitness-wise? How many players produce their best to deserve a 4-year, big-$ contract at ages 29-32? Did they know about but ignore his off-field issues?

Part of me wants to be vitriolic and abusive about the whole Gibbs saga. I nearly posted yesterday a vicious comment --- I had it typed out and ready to post --- alluding to his widely reported off-field problems until I realised I just don't know the whole story. I doubt we'll ever know the full story. There's also the human element which many forget or ignore behind the shields of their anonymity and keyboards, whereas Gibbs is known, identified, clearly confused and very troubled, and has been over-vilified in here.
OK, his woes are not our problems, but more than letting the Crows down he has clearly let himself down in many ways and if his presser is any guide, he's suffering for it.

36 mediocre games for the Crows does not deserve a 'farewell game', but a 267-game career is worth acknowledging especially when his former Club (and I loathe Carlton, though not as much as PA and Collingwood) is involved.
The Club has shown a very human side to its character to allow this, even if the deal/s behind closed doors involving Gibbs stink.

Remember the mess around Tyson Edwards' last game, though vastly different from the Gibbs saga? I was in the Northern stand when he streamed down the Eastern flank into the F50 and kicked a goal. The roar from the stands was Grand-Final-like and I'll bet Edwards can still hear it.
Let's give Gibbs a break? Do any of the angriest haters not see that the man is suffering enough as a consequence of his own mistakes, just like we all do, without our adding to it? Why rub his nose in it?
It's his last game and it'd be good, heart-warming even, human, if he received only some warm applause to remember, and not the bitter jeers of some who don't really know what's happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the opposite of team first.
+
It's odd that Gibbs is so willing to free up his spot for a younger player, but is then perfectly happy to take that spot back for his farewell game
There's some cold, hard truth to your objections, but the decision might just help us --- accidentally, or tanking ploy --- to retain Pick#1. Gibbs getting a game is a gesture that's a part of a deal we'll probably never get the full details of.

I understand your anger, having felt it myself @ the whole Gibbs mess, but how about we be happy that he's going and freed up a spot for 2021 without kicking the man while he's down?

This, really is the question, isn't it? Maybe Gibbs does not know his body and mind as well as he thinks? You nailed the difference between the dream and the reality.
Like with Pyke's resignation, I have very mixed feelings about the Gibbs' announcement which has clearly polarised posters in here. Gibbs was a consistently good player for Carlton, but very mediocre for the Crows whom he snubbed when a Free Agent. Whatever his reasons at the time, it's cost the Crows a Motza, but 2020 hindsight is 20/20 vision. I'm happy that we ended up with Hamill/McAdam/McHenry/Worrell after all of it. They will add to the Club and take it forward more than Gibbs ever did.

Part of me is really annoyed, even angry with Gibbs --- his ability even @ age 29 vs. what he actually produced is a mystery. Also with the Crows for making such a poor deal eg did they Test him thoroughly fitness-wise? How many players produce their best to deserve a 4-year, big-$ contract at ages 29-32? Did they know about but ignore his off-field issues?

Part of me wants to be vitriolic and abusive about the whole Gibbs saga. I nearly posted yesterday a vicious comment --- I had it typed out and ready to post --- alluding to his widely reported off-field problems until I realised I just don't know the whole story. I doubt we'll ever know the full story. There's also the human element which many forget or ignore behind the shields of their anonymity and keyboards, whereas Gibbs is known, identified, clearly confused and very troubled, and has been over-vilified in here.
OK, his woes are not our problems, but more than letting the Crows down he has clearly let himself down in many ways and if his presser is any guide, he's suffering for it.

36 mediocre games for the Crows does not deserve a 'farewell game', but a 267-game career is worth acknowledging especially when his former Club (and I loathe Carlton, though not as much as PA and Collingwood) is involved.
The Club has shown a very human side to its character to allow this, even if the deal/s behind closed doors involving Gibbs stink.

Remember the mess around Tyson Edwards' last game, though vastly different from the Gibbs saga? I was in the Northern stand when he streamed down the Eastern flank into the F50 and kicked a goal. The roar from the stands was Grand-Final-like and I'll bet Edwards can still hear it.
Let's give Gibbs a break? Do any of the angriest haters not see that the man is suffering enough as a consequence of his own mistakes, just like we all do, without our adding to it? Why rub his nose in it?
It's his last game and it'd be good, heart-warming even, human, if he received only some warm applause to remember, and not the bitter jeers of some who don't really know what's happened.

We're a football club not a charity or a childcare center.

He's a grown ass man who has made his own fate.

Hahahahaha .. so I left 'not' out

M7, you're the top 2 for posts in this thread

I'm not first? I'll try harder.

At least most of my posts are about Gibbs.

90% of yours are focused entirely on other posters.

Essentially you paid a couple of first round picks for 35 games.
So about 18 games per first rounder. Young Reid should hire Gibbs as an assistant recruiter.
Smug and nasty --- are you proud of that post?

We have McAdam/Hamill/McHenry/Worrell as a lasting consequence of the Gibbs mess, players who will contribute and play well for the Crows for years.
Thanks, now see yourself out.

Essentially you paid a couple of first round picks for 35 games.

So about 18 games per first rounder.

Young Reid should hire Gibbs as an assistant recruiter.
Completely inaccurate, but I guess Carlton's inability to understand deals is why they keep making bad ones.

1) We're a football club not a charity or a childcare center.
2) He's a grown ass man who has made his own fate.
1) Agree totally, but I don't see the Gibbs latest deal as charitable because I don't know the deal. Nor do you. The "childcare centre" crack is just plain nasty.
2) No doubt that Gibbs is the architect of his own fate; aren't we all? There's more to this than meets the eye, more than we know.
Have you ever been down and out and needed a helping hand? I know I have. How'd you feel about those that kicked you while you were down? Please stop kicking, Vhaluus. The horse is dead.

Imo the McGovern trade was pretty much just as bad. Just that the draft picks were less.

He is so fat.

Even stevens.
Actually, the pick value was about the same.

We at least got about 25 decent games out of Bryce.

1) Agree totally, but I don't see the Gibbs latest deal as charitable because I don't know the deal. Nor do you. The "childcare centre" crack is just plain nasty.
2) No doubt that Gibbs is the architect of his own fate; aren't we all? There's more to this than meets the eye, more than we know.
Have you ever been down and out and needed a helping hand? I know I have. How'd you feel about those that kicked you while you were down? Please stop kicking, Vhaluus. The horse is dead.

I'm not kicking him when he's down. I hope he gets his s**t sorted out and finds success and happiness after football.

But giving him a pity game doesn't help his future but it hurts our future by denying that game to a player who actually earned it.

Also to count on goodwill for him is a bit odd, he has actively spit in the face of the AFC since he came over. Posting snide tweets about Carlton, failing to actually put in effort on the football field when we did pick him etc.

I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Fantastic comment.

Back