Opinion Back to Perth for the final minor round game again

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
So anyone who tips football knows that teams often struggle to back up from a trip west to Perth. And here we go again, playing the last minor round game in Perth, again.
Makes me think, how often have we had to do this? Can anyone do a comparison table? Why aren’t Carlton or Collingwood travelling to Perth this week? Why does it always seem like us?
And whilst I’m at it, why were we even playing Sydney for the first time all year in round 23?

Would it not be better for you to make the Perth trip in the final round knowing you have the pre-finals bye the week after (hypothetically if you were to make them), than to have it in the middle of the home and away season and have to back up the next week? IMO it's the best possible time to make the Perth trip, along with the week before the mid season bye.

So anyone who tips football knows that teams often struggle to back up from a trip west to Perth. And here we go again, playing the last minor round game in Perth, again.
Makes me think, how often have we had to do this? Can anyone do a comparison table? Why aren’t Carlton or Collingwood travelling to Perth this week? Why does it always seem like us?
And whilst I’m at it, why were we even playing Sydney for the first time all year in round 23?
The Crows or Port travel to Perth in the final round every year to minimise travel distance for teams preparing for finals. This was a pre finals bye but is still in place.

Are you sure? every year? AFL website has you over the once since 2015 doesn't it.
Might just feel like it

Last time we played them there in the final round was 2017 .. we played them there in round 21 in 2018 & 2022

Sent this to the Big Boys at the AFL the other month (cc'g 4-5 Crows Execs/Nicksy) and Silvers was happy I did he said upon meeting him recently (and Reidy said the same at the time) and addresses the joke that used to be Crows in Perth last minor round. Not sure if anyones listening but haha

Att: Gillon / Andrew - No Crows game in Melbourne until round15 - an all time record for an interstate club

Hi Gillon and Andrew

Gents, firstly I hope the handover is going well and good luck finding resolutions to a number of the serious and complex issues on your plate – certainly some tough ones. I would appreciate 2 mins of your time reading the following.

As a huge crows fans since day one, many years living in Melbourne, I know the Crows have a huge amount of supporters in Melbourne (historically the best of any interstate team that wasn’t relocated or merged).

In summary, I find it almost impossible to fathom that it can take until Round 15 for my club to play for the FIRST time all year in Melbourne (the first and only time in AFL history this has occurred for any team), finishing with 3 games in total (MLB and COLL at The G, Dons at Marvel.) Its hard to work out when half of all teams are MLB based we cant find one opportunity to actually play one of these teams in MLB until 2/3rds of the season has gone. MLB based family and friends looked at the draw this year and said why in the heck would we become Crows members when treated to only 3 games in total for the whole season starting in round 15. Now I know some team has to play in – how do I best put it…- ‘non premium locations’ of Ballarat, Darwin, Launceston and Geelong but it seems blatantly unfair the Crows get these gigs every single year. As a young, attacking and attractive side to watch, and which is clearly on the rise, I do hope this year is the last time we experience such treatment in the draw.

PS I have only once contacted the AFL directly previously after the Crows were ‘drawn’ to play in Perth in the last minor round 4 years out of 8 in a time when there was no pre-finals bye. Not coincidentally it was the grave-yard location for round 22 (often hot and dry grounds) and the one location NO TEAM wished to get in the last minor round. Yet the Crows got it every second year (inc finals years 1998, 2001 and 2005) and then went on to lose the first week of the finals on each occasion including when we were strong favourites playing at home. Perhaps my email at the time played no part in the change to the rostering but anyway thought I would give the draw another few minutes of time this year to again point out what I deem a lopsided and unfair fixturing.

PPS I have included the crows guys above as a FYI to them on why their MLB member numbers are perhaps struggling this year. I have not communicated this issue with any of them at all until this email.

Anyway, all the best and lets hope for a cracking end to an exciting season with the quality of footy played, in many instances, at decade highs (much thanks to the tinkering of the rules by the AFL in recent years – well done).

Regards,

RE: Att: Gillon / Andrew - No Crows game in Melbourne until round15 - an all time record for an interstate club follow up re fixturing

Morning Gents

I understand you are busy Execs, but to be honest, I was hoping for at least a quick acknowledgement to my previous email sent (as below).

You are no doubt aware the Crows don’t play in MLB until round 15, and that combined with not playing there since round 17 last year (Hawks at Marvel) means its effectively a whole season (last 7 rounds last year and 15 rounds this year = 22 rounds) which is almost impossible to configure when half the teams are MLB based. The purpose of this email is just to hopefully remind the AFL fixturing team that hopefully this is an anomaly which wont be repeated (as it has never happened to ANY club previously in AFL history to go a season without playing in the home of AFL).

I wish you luck for the remainder of the year – Andrew transitioning into the Big Chair, and Gillon ultimately sipping limoncellos on the Amalfi coast not too far down the track 😊

They couldn't possibly have a Victorian team to play in Perth for the final game. I don't see why as there's a bye straight after.

I just went and did some raw numbers

Since 1991

Adelaide have played the final round in Perth 7 times

Here are the breakdown by the decades

From 91-99
Adelaide 1 game
Interstate club 1 game (Brisbane)
Victorian teams 5 games
Derby 1 game

From 00-09
Adelaide 3 games
Interstate club 1 game (Port)
Victorian Teams 5 games
Derby 1 game

From 10-19
Adelaide 2 games
Victorian teams 7 games

From 20-23 (due to COVID etc 2023 is the first final game in Perth so far this decade)
Adelaide 1 game

So basically out of 29 final round games in Perth (since we joined the league) we've played 7 of them (24%).

Along with having the record for having played the biggest percentage of games at Kardinia Park, we also have the record for getting shafted to Perth in the final round far more than any other team in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the pre-finals bye, I'm not sure this is an issue anymore.
You're 100% correct about this, and I'm sick of people without capable brain cells thinking it's an issue.

This is the ONE week where you have no issue travelling to Perth

I just went and did some raw numbers

Since 1991

Adelaide have played the final round in Perth 7 times

Here are the breakdown by the decades

From 91-99
Adelaide 1 game
Interstate club 1 game (Brisbane)
Victorian teams 5 games
Derby 1 game

From 00-09
Adelaide 3 games
Victorian Teams 5 games
Derby 1 game

From 10-19
Adelaide 2 games
Victorian teams 7 games

From 20-23 (due to COVID etc 2023 is the first final game in Perth so far this decade)
Adelaide 1 game

So basically out of 29 final round games in Perth (since we joined the league) we've played 7 of them (24%).

Along with having the record for having played the biggest percentage of games at Kardinia Park, we also have the record for getting shafted to Perth in the final round far more than any other team in the league.
Out of interest, how many times have the so called Big 4 played in Perth in the final game of the season?

Out of interest, how many times have the so called Big 4 played in Perth in the final game of the season?
Just looked it up. 6 games COMBINED since '91. Again, we excel at the awful fixture...7 games to us is more than there have been Derby final rounds ffs (4 in total)...compare this again to the other non Melbourne clubs..Port 2, Sydney 0, Brisbane 0, GWS 0, GCS 0....it is almost like the fixture is a total sham ;)

Just looked it up. 6 games COMBINED since '91. Again, we excel at the awful fixture...7 games to us is more than there have been Derby final rounds ffs (4 in total)...compare this again to the other non Melbourne clubs..Port 2, Sydney 0, Brisbane 0, GWS 0, GCS 0....it is almost like the fixture is a total sham ;)

Brisbane have played there in the 90s in the last round.

Also there have only been 2 derbies in the final round too, there were some years where the season went to 24 rounds so you have to make sure that you're checking the very last round of every season.

Brisbane have played there in the 90s in the last round.

Also there have only been 2 derbies in the final round too, there were some years where the season went to 24 rounds so you have to make sure that you're checking the very last round of every season.
Cheers! Flu brain clearly not working!

Sent this to the Big Boys at the AFL the other month (cc'g 4-5 Crows Execs/Nicksy) and Silvers was happy I did he said upon meeting him recently (and Reidy said the same at the time) and addresses the joke that used to be Crows in Perth last minor round. Not sure if anyones listening but haha

Att: Gillon / Andrew - No Crows game in Melbourne until round15 - an all time record for an interstate club

Hi Gillon and Andrew

Gents, firstly I hope the handover is going well and good luck finding resolutions to a number of the serious and complex issues on your plate – certainly some tough ones. I would appreciate 2 mins of your time reading the following.

As a huge crows fans since day one, many years living in Melbourne, I know the Crows have a huge amount of supporters in Melbourne (historically the best of any interstate team that wasn’t relocated or merged).

In summary, I find it almost impossible to fathom that it can take until Round 15 for my club to play for the FIRST time all year in Melbourne (the first and only time in AFL history this has occurred for any team), finishing with 3 games in total (MLB and COLL at The G, Dons at Marvel.) Its hard to work out when half of all teams are MLB based we cant find one opportunity to actually play one of these teams in MLB until 2/3rds of the season has gone. MLB based family and friends looked at the draw this year and said why in the heck would we become Crows members when treated to only 3 games in total for the whole season starting in round 15. Now I know some team has to play in – how do I best put it…- ‘non premium locations’ of Ballarat, Darwin, Launceston and Geelong but it seems blatantly unfair the Crows get these gigs every single year. As a young, attacking and attractive side to watch, and which is clearly on the rise, I do hope this year is the last time we experience such treatment in the draw.

PS I have only once contacted the AFL directly previously after the Crows were ‘drawn’ to play in Perth in the last minor round 4 years out of 8 in a time when there was no pre-finals bye. Not coincidentally it was the grave-yard location for round 22 (often hot and dry grounds) and the one location NO TEAM wished to get in the last minor round. Yet the Crows got it every second year (inc finals years 1998, 2001 and 2005) and then went on to lose the first week of the finals on each occasion including when we were strong favourites playing at home. Perhaps my email at the time played no part in the change to the rostering but anyway thought I would give the draw another few minutes of time this year to again point out what I deem a lopsided and unfair fixturing.

PPS I have included the crows guys above as a FYI to them on why their MLB member numbers are perhaps struggling this year. I have not communicated this issue with any of them at all until this email.

Anyway, all the best and lets hope for a cracking end to an exciting season with the quality of footy played, in many instances, at decade highs (much thanks to the tinkering of the rules by the AFL in recent years – well done).

Regards,

RE: Att: Gillon / Andrew - No Crows game in Melbourne until round15 - an all time record for an interstate club follow up re fixturing

Morning Gents

I understand you are busy Execs, but to be honest, I was hoping for at least a quick acknowledgement to my previous email sent (as below).

You are no doubt aware the Crows don’t play in MLB until round 15, and that combined with not playing there since round 17 last year (Hawks at Marvel) means its effectively a whole season (last 7 rounds last year and 15 rounds this year = 22 rounds) which is almost impossible to configure when half the teams are MLB based. The purpose of this email is just to hopefully remind the AFL fixturing team that hopefully this is an anomaly which wont be repeated (as it has never happened to ANY club previously in AFL history to go a season without playing in the home of AFL).

I wish you luck for the remainder of the year – Andrew transitioning into the Big Chair, and Gillon ultimately sipping limoncellos on the Amalfi coast not too far down the track 😊

I like how you called Gil and Andrew maggots.

Very apt, keep up the good work.

Hi Gillon and Andrew

Regards,

Morning Gents

It’s amazing that some people naively believe the draw “evens out” over time. It doesn’t. It just gets worse and worse.
Another unseen issue besides membership that’s a consequence of the lack of Melbourne games is player retention. How can we recruit and retain Melbourne based players when we play everywhere except Melbourne. Compare this with Carlton, Collingwood or Richmond.

It’s amazing that some people naively believe the draw “evens out” over time. It doesn’t. It just gets worse and worse.
Another unseen issue besides membership that’s a consequence of the lack of Melbourne games is player retention. How can we recruit and retain Melbourne based players when we play everywhere except Melbourne. Compare this with Carlton, Collingwood or Richmond.
Membership is significant. I know more than a dozen people first hand (family & friends) who have tossed in their Victorian memberships because it just isn’t worth it anymore with the team barely seeing Melbourne.

With Melbourne and Adelaide sharing quite a few “ex-pats” I’m sure there are lots more, and this will have cost the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back